Author Topic: Housetraining BITES!!!!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Housetraining BITES!!!!
« on: October 07, 2005, 05:00:24 am »
Hi Everyone,

Been soo busy last few weeks so haven't been around.  It's good to catch up on all the dog news! 
Anyway, Binky is badly regressing in the "potty outside" department.  It is so frustrating.  I have been training her to ring a bell by the door when she needs to go out and she caught on really quickly-so I thought!  After four full days without an accident, I let her have some more freedom to roam the house.  My mistake- she is peeing and pooing everywhere now!  Until this week she had only pooed in the house once.  Obviously, I have been keeping a closer eye on her, but now it seems like the second I'm not looking, she pees!  Today she managed to pee twice, with me in the room, after going out.  I don't know how she can possibly have that much liquid in her body!  Anyone know why she would suddenly have such a hard time controlling herself?  She is almost 4 months old.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Housetraining BITES!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:05:43 am »
Try to remember that even though she is a big puppy she is still a puppy...Puppie s have a hard time controlling their bladders...I went through the same kind of frustration with Samson...I thought he was house broke & one night he pee'd not once but twice in the family room in the coarse of an hour & 1/2...I posted at another Pyr group & was told that you can't trust them to be completely house broke until they are 8 months or so...If she has an accident in the house you should take her outside immediatly & use whatever your go potty outside words are...She'll get it!...Hang in there!

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 05:17:23 am »
First off, are you sure she doesnt have a UTI?  If not, this is what I do

My pup is 18wks and a LGD aswell...i got her at 15 wks and she had no experiene with a crate or appropiate place to go potty

Wake up 5am...I dont not talk to her, I put the leash on her collar and right outside we go.  I use the same door every single time.  She seems to prefer the fence line so I take her to the fence line and pee right away.  I giver her another 5 or 6 mintues to see if she wants to poop or pee somemore and she usually does

Back in house, get her food ready (takes 5 min)  she is usually hanging real close cause she is hungry.  I put her in the crate with food and close the door.  Mind you my dogs eat raw food and her adult teeth arent in, so it takes her a good 30-40 minutes to eat her turkey necks...

After she is done, I keep her in her crate to digest for a little while maybe 10min...then back outside...this time I dont leash BUT my yard is fenced...I let her sniff and explore or play with my older male and 99% of the time she will infact pee and poop again LOL

at this point she is good to go for a while...so if I am leaving, I take her with me and she just hangs in the yard at my brothers house or goes for a walk with me etc...but when she has to go potty she will go off the deck go to the fence line and go pee

I am usually back home aroun 3pm and I take her to the yard leash to go the bathroom and she does...back in the house and repeat same process for breakfast...

from 6-8 she just hangs around and plays with zero etc...and i take her out at 8pm for her last bathroom break and in the crate until 5am

My girl has an iron bladder and can hold it all day without an accident...i also have hardwood floors and they prefer to pee on carpet if they are going to go in the house

Her singals that she needs to go out are sniffing a lot and circling and she is putting the connect that the back door is to go potty

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 05:27:29 am »

Your dog is a BABY!!!

She is a giant breed of dog and she is not even 16 WEEKS old yet.

Please please, do not expect too much of your puppy at this age.

SUPERVISE HER at ALL times when she is loose in the house. Use baby gates, tie her leash to your belt, use your crate, or make sure she is in a safe outdoor area. Puppies under about a year of age should have ZERO unsupervised time loose in your home. You should not have her out of your eyesight for one SECOND. I cannot stress how important this is. Too much freedom too soon is NOT freedom for your puppy. It is applying too much pressure to perform and too high of expectations of a baby puppy.

Keep her on a good schedule of timed eating, napping, and trips outdoors.

Supervise and food reward ALL outdoor potty behavior.

Give bathroom duties a name, (Go Pee Pee....Go Poop...) and name them as they are occurring.

And please please, I am always so distressed by postings of people with BABY PUPPIES whom they are expecting to act like adult dogs.

Your puppy is just a baby.

You need patience!
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 09:08:44 am »
Thank you for the tips.  I do realize that she is a baby-it's just that every time we get a new puppy I forget how long it really takes to get them trained and I was so excited that Binky was doing so well.  I don't think she has a UTI because she is fine through the night.
I do have her on a regular schedule of going out.  I literally take her out about every twenty minutes/half hour throughout the entire day-unless she's sleeping-, plus she is allowed time outside in the fenced yard with the other dogs.    Guess you're right, just need to be patient!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 10:19:32 am »

See this is WHY we get new puppies.

We have forgotten all the pee pee puddles, and chewed up rugs and tooth  marked furniture by the time we get the next one.

:D

Be patient, in 6 months you will have forgotten it all again.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

smohr

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 11:00:59 am »

See this is WHY we get new puppies.

We have forgotten all the pee pee puddles, and chewed up rugs and tooth  marked furniture by the time we get the next one.

:D

Be patient, in 6 months you will have forgotten it all again.

;)
[/b][/color]

Soooo true...and don't we love 'em so much when there are no more accidents ! ! !  yep...yep...

Also, as Red said earlier about holding that leash every where they go...they don't like to potty inside when the MASTER is holding on.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 01:00:25 pm »
Try following the natural dog order of things...When a pup is with his  mama she will push him/her out of the "living area" after eating, sleeping, or playing...That is how mama teaches her pups not to "go" where they live...If you take her out "every 20 or 30 minutes" she won't "get it"...Try taking her out after the events I mentioned above...& always have a treat & happy praises for a pup that eliminates in the proper area! :)