Author Topic: Any advice for a dog trainer wannabe?  (Read 2575 times)

henrysmomma

Any advice for a dog trainer wannabe?
« on: October 06, 2005, 07:22:55 am »
Hi all!

I want to dog train for a living..I am looking in to schools and such and have already trained dogs for a couple of clients...any advice would be appreciated... ;D

henrysmomma

Re: Any advice for a dog trainer wannabe?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:47:56 am »
Thanks Red!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 08:34:38 am »
As usual Red covered almost everything ;)  The only things I have to add are learn LOTS of training techniques as different dogs learn different ways.  There are SO many trainers that are either one way or another, like they're all about clicker training, and they think that prongs are the worst invention on the planet.  Go to every seminar you can, talk to every trainer you can.  Lots of training places let you watch classes, pick up tips see how the trainers act with the different dogs.  Learn breed traits, but keep in mind, that a dog doesn't always act the way they're supposed to.  Also, like Red said, be VERY careful with strange dogs.  People don't know everything about their dogs, something they do subconsiously can freak their dog out, or they don't know that their kid hits the dogs with blocks when they aren't looking, or they got the dog from someone else, and the someone else let the dog wallow in bad habits, or even abused them. 

The internet is a great tool but nothing compared to first hand knowledge and experience.  As in everything in the dog world, find a mentor.  They can help you so much and let you know what you can and can't handle.  And if you trust your mentor, LISTEN to them. 

Good luck.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

henrysmomma

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:48:57 am »
Thanks Ang!

Well, I have been trying to get Henry's UD title, but between me working seven days a week, not really knowing what i'm doing, and not having found a trainer I like who has time to mentor me I have gotten pretty much nowhere....alt hough he is a pretty well trained bulldog at this point...aside from his dog aggression issues :-\ ....

(side note: I'm so shy when it comes to asking for things from people, like mentorship, it's made it a bit hard for me to find a mentor :-X )

Rose

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 08:59:12 am »
Don't think of it as asking for something from someone.  All of the trainers I've met love sharing their tactics with people.  It's about the dogs living better lives.  Some of them won't disclose their "Secrets" but those are usually the money hungry ones. 

I understand how hard it is.  Have you CONSIDERED using another dog as your demo dog?  Reason I ask is this.  If I (Pretending I'm Joe Schmoe here) see a dog trainer with two dogs, one is awesome and the other has some issues I think to myself "Wow look what she did with that one dog!  She must be in the middle of working with that other dog, but if that first one came out great I'm sure the second will too".  If I see a trainer with one dog aggressive dog, I think "Wow she can't even handle her own dog"  Also, lots of times Trainers use their Demo dogs as examples of how its done, or as distractions for dogs in class.  The Demo dog KNOWS how to behave and often this helps with the dogs in the class. 

Do you live in a dog friendly town/state?  Look online for as many training places as you can find, ask dog people you know about their trainers.  You can never ask too many questions.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:55:18 pm »
I train assistance dogs ( www.cci.org)  as my 8-5 job and help people train their own dogs on the side.  I have now been training dogs for 12 years, and I am still constantly learning. Read as many books as you can, go to seminars, watch classes, and PRACTICE PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  My dogs are still my guinea pigs ( in a good way!). DO not let anyone tell you that there is only one way to train. Be open to new ideas, and of course have lot's of patience and lots of fun.
Hope this helps!
LA
LA & Gang

henrysmomma

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 09:38:15 am »
LOL, I've been looking for this thread all day so I could thank you guys for the wonderful advice! I will keep at it with Henry,  I just wish I could figure out why he's so dog aggressive  ??? I read the article you sent me Red, it was very informative! I soaked it up like a friggin sponge! I always go to www.workingdog web.com to get info and articles. I have yet to find a seminar to attend (I'm always working, so whenever there is a seminar it's juring my work hours :P) I also find it hard to keep my dogs consistently trained...my fiancee is always switching up tactics and so forth an my roomate thinks he's an expert and tries to teach the dogs too.  I tried volunteering at my local assistance dog program, but they refused... ::) I will keep trying though and hopefully I will get somewhere ;D

Rose

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 01:48:25 pm »
Red, please tell me about the contract.  I am going on vacation for eight days so when I get back I hope to be able to read your advice and hope it does not get buried where I cannot find it.  Maybe it will be in the training thread. ???  Your friend, Peggy
Peggy