Author Topic: Growing up with a collie  (Read 12834 times)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Growing up with a collie
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:35:07 am »
Hi! Just wanted to pass on a picture of the collie our family had when I was little. She was such a great dog. She had to be put down when she had complications durring pregnancy. I will never forget her. She is the reason I wanted to get a dog for my family. Her name was Lady.
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Growing up with a collie
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:37:03 am »
Just looked at the picture. Doesnt Lady look so sophistacated? Even with her hair a fright. LOL
Karen

Offline nettrek4

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bonnie Collies
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:33 pm »
   I'm delighted that collies are being included on this site!  Maybe their paws aren't the biggest, but certainly their hearts make up for it.
    I could write you a book - and maybe I will - full of all the stories of all the people who contact me looking for a collie "like the one I grew up with".  So many couples have said that one of their strongest bonds was their childhood collies.  So many parents have told me that they want their children to experience what they experienced, the love, devotion, companionship, and street smarts of a collie. Hundreds of children have told me how they've been saving and looking and praying for a collie.
    Sometimes I am able to place rescue collies with people who just thought they wanted a puppy when what they really missed and wanted was a collie. There seems to be some quality of soul , and I do not use the term lightly, which certain people and certain collies share with each other, to the enrichment of both.  For many people (me included), having loved and been loved by collies, no other breed could ever share my life in quite the same way.  Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies
Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:18:55 pm »
Marcia,
I love your dedication to your Collies. My mom had a collie as her first dog as an adult and never has gotten over the loss of her precious Tiger. She's now in the hunt for another Collie after many years of being a dogless household. I too feel the same way about the "connection" you have with your pet- only its with the Newfoundlands. I could never have anything else replace tmy beloved boy!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:03:41 pm »
I would have to agree TOTALY about a Collie making up for size with their heart. Although, we also had a border collie who was a very BIG DOG. Not sure if he was mixed with anything but he was big.
 I also wanted to say that Lady protected us. One time she even jumped up and bit my dad in the shoulder(he is 6ft) when she thought he was hurting me. He wasnt, but she showed him that NO ONE touches Her kids.
 I decided to get our family a St. I think he will prove to be just as loyal as Lady to my kids. He has already shown that NO ONE touches HIS kids. He barks and get quite upset when my husband plays too rough with the kids.
I think its great to have Collies on here too.
Karen