Author Topic: my new pup is spoiled already...how do i ?  (Read 5290 times)

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
my new pup is spoiled already...how do i ?
« on: April 26, 2005, 12:40:57 pm »
crate train her without going insane? she had this loud and horse bark and kinda sounds like a pig..lol she whines if i put her outside to potty even though im sitting on the other side of the screen door watching her. she wont sleep by herself and i have tried to put her in the room with my boys and she started in with her "Puppy Fit" as i call it. she is always wanting to be by my side but i do need to sleep in my own bed again. we got her on saturday and today is tuesday, i have only slept in my bed once and thats only because a friend stayed over and slept on my sofa.

no matter where i go she is right next to me and i do love that and think its sweet but at night i would like for her to not throw a fit because she cant sleep with me. how can i get her to sleep with one of my kids or in a crate without her getting so mad? i never really had to deal with this before because my dogs have always got used to sleeping in a crate at night. she flips out and  yelps/screams. when i had her in the back to go potty she got the screen door and started chewing on it. when she stopped fussin i brought her inside but i wont bring her in when she is throwin a puppy fit. what can i do to make this easy for everyone? thanks everyone cause im sure someone will give me some great info!

ANGEL

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: my new pup is spoiled already...how do i ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:09:53 pm »
Angel, It sounds like your little doll has separation issues. Take baby steps, and try and distract her, like during day, leave her in a room, just for a tiny bit, with something she really likes, either a bone (I like the Nylabones) or a treat, or her favorit toy. Start with just going outside the door, close and before she has a chance to start her show, go in again and praise her. Keep doing stuff like that, just the smallest amount of time, and then when she seems okay with the few seconds you probably think are rather pathetic, make it longer and longer but take baby steps, and patience...... . Lots of it.
I am sure she will get better even if it may take some time before you get to sleep in your bed again lol...... Good Luck and please let us know how things are going.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:19:01 pm »
My Bear has similar traits to your new girl. Even at 2.5 years old he still follows me everywhere and if he is outside he checks every so often just to make sure that I'm still home and missing him too. He didn't throw big fits but little tiny whines to let me know that he was sad. And I'm still not "allowed" to go to the bathroom by myself. He wants to be right there laying on the floor until I'm done...so an unlocked restroom is a normal occurance at my house.
Here my thoughts on your situation that you might want to try in addition to the other wonderful advice you've gotten: maybe for sleep purposes you could let her sleep in your room on the floor next to you so that she feels close to you.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 07:19:11 pm »
I have the same problem?? ;D with Judge. He follows me everywere. He also sleeps on my side of the bed (on the floor). I cant go to the washroom by myself either. Im used to it though and I know that its because Im his Mommy.I let him sleep on the floor beside my bed when I relized that he wasnt to impressed with the crating thing. Kinda like letting you kids cry to fall asleep. I was never too good at that eather. Needless to say there was NO ROOM left in my bed for him anyhow.He just waits around untill I go to bed then follows me and falls fast asleep. His SNORING now puts me to sleep as well.
I think this is a personal decission and it will all work out in the end. Good luck and keep us posted.
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:57:00 pm »
We had that problem, try putting a towel or sheet over the top of the crate also wear a t-shirt then place it in there, also make it comfortable for them like a pillow in the bottom until they get bigger or toys, make it as confined as possible so they can only stand, turn around, and lie down, that helped with our puppy. Now she knows that she gets to lie in the bed with us then off to her den she will even look at it then we put her in the floor and she walks in it and goes right to sleep.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 09:01:41 pm »
It is up to you of course but I do not recommend having your new pup sleep in you bed with you, I allowed my Dobie to sleep with me and when he got too big and I wanted him out of bed it took me 2 whole months to get him to stop sneaking into to bed after I fell asleep, such a smart boy he is.  I would definitely take baby steps with seperating her from you little by little, seperation anxiety can be a big problem.

Keep us posted.

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 11:18:27 pm »
thanks everyone for the great advise. we are in the process of moving into a different house and right now we have our baby in our room with us so not alot of room at all with her crib. im sure Sophie wouldnt like to sleep on the floor next to me so i will have to figure something out because i cant have a fussin pup in the same room as my baby and risking waking her up. i cant get her used to sleeping with me either because im due to have surgery soon and i cant risk her messing with my stitches. sooooooooooooo oooo im clueless right now..LOL we are going to try to put her in a crate WITH our chihuahua. maybe if they share a crate they wil be fine. the crate is HUGE and big enough for 2 dogs. we just put them both in there and i guess we will find out and a few min how things go. so far so good. they are both sitting in there with a blanket and laying down. Sophie is getting a bit upset but just whining so far. i will keep you all posted and MAYBE just maybe i will sleep in my bed tonight..LOL

ANGEL

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 11:48:25 pm »
 well she has whimpered a bit but now she is sleeping in the crate with our chihuahua. i have a blanket over the cage with a blanket inside the cage. this cage it huge, we had to use our queen size blanket to cover it..lol  i hope things stay quiet like this *keep fingers crossed*

ANGEL

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:34:43 am »
well its 7:30 am and she slept in it ALL night except when she woke up at 1:30 to go potty. so i heard her whine a bit and then came down stairs and let her in the back yard. she came back inside and i put her back in the crate. she did whine a bit but not for long at all. she went back to sleep and woke up at 6:30 this morning. YAY! i slept in my own bed last night! LOL she still hasnt went potty in the house and im surprised about that because she is only 10 wks old and seems to be potty trained. she will whine or scratch the door with her paw to be let out. our chihuahua still pee's in the house. hard to believe this big baby doesnt and the chihuahua does. lol oh well. in a couple of months she will be able to sleep in one of the kids rooms if she wants. we will see if she will throw a puppy fit if i put her in their room. maybe she feels safe in the crate with the chihuahua. who knows but i  just wanted to keep you all posted on this. this feels like a journal..lol thanks for all the help again! this is a great site!

ANGEL

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 09:58:38 am »
Iv'e always had the crate next to my bed, this can be annoying but they usally settle down. My girls both go to their own beds of thier own free will everynight now which still is next to my side of the bed. With the 3 dog beds on the floor you only have a small section of floor in my bedroom.
Carolyn
Carolyn