Author Topic: My beloved Caucasians  (Read 16428 times)

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
Re: My beloved Caucasians
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 02:01:12 am »
Great pictures!  Those are truly magnificent animals.  I have never seen one in person so I can only imagine how giant they really are.  Are people often afraid when they see them?  I ask because even when I walk Binky now, some people are so skittish-and she's just a little puppy!  Do you allow people to buy your pups just for a pet or do they have to have experience with the breed or need a LGD?  (not that I'm in the market-I wish-just curious!) :)

Thanks!
People react on them differently - come think they are cuddly, some are scared by the size. Dogs are pretty intimidating. And I don't just mean size.
When I walk an adult dog and I meet someone on the street who wants to talk - dog always position him/herself between me and another person. And during the conversation they are watching the person very closely, which makes people nervous. LOL I have to be very aware of my dog's "condition" during these street conversations, because simple offer of a handshake for some of my dogs considered to be the threat to me, which will trigger a reaction. Other dogs will be OK with a handshake, but not a hug (for example).

I don't sell pets in general sense of the word. They are working dogs, and they do guard whether you want them or not. Many people who live remotely in country settings are looking for these dogs to alert and protect. I had some NY policemen calling me because they wanted to make sure that the family is safe when they are on duty at night. I have no problem with no LGD experience in a buyer, but I am looking for a certain personality - responsible and dominant type.

I would not sell to a person with "soft" character, or to a family where the wife for example is submissive to the husband. The dogs are perfectly happy to obey the leader, but will try to take the pack leader's place if there is nobody there. And that is not pretty - it may mean the wife is not allowed to come to a bedroom when the husband is at work, or sit on a sofa....
The families with children - I will ONLY sell if they had previous LGD experience, because children are not capable of establishing correct "pack order" with one of these dogs and without proper guidance and control from parents they will end up on the "bottom of the food chain".

Any dog that is coming out of my house sold with a guarantee, contract and agreement that I will take that dog back anytime, anywhere and for any reason. My buyers do keep in-touch, and I follow up on the pups development and progress, helping out to solve any problems that may come about.

They are not aliens or scary beasts. LOL Just dogs. But serious dogs that require serious, responsible owners.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 08:09:54 am by YelenaLevitina »

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 02:06:06 am »
Your Caucasians are amazing, and incredibly gorgeous!!  I thought they looked a bit like Leonbergers (I've got a Leo puppy myself) when I first saw those photos.  Thanks for sharing all about them too, I love learning about a breed I am unfamiliar with! 

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 02:18:40 am »
Thank you, Bogard is absolutely adorable!

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 02:28:37 am »
well thanks to you too!  (your Caucasians really do look like big lion-bears!) 

Yaz

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 02:31:52 am »
Thanks so much for introducing us to this gorgeous and powerful breed. I thought I knew all the dog breeds so this was a fascinating education. The link you supplied shows the enormity of the breed - I feel the same way looking at them that I feel looking at tigers - awe and respect. You also sound like an extremely responsible breeder - which is a pleasant find. My husband and I are long time bullmastiff lovers and have been disappointed with a lot of bully breeders who will sell to anyone who has the money to buy, hence a lot of problems have developed with the breed. If more breeders of dominant and aggressive dogs took the same precautions that you do, there would be a lot less problems with so many good breeds.

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 02:36:38 am »
Thank you, Yaz.
It is my pleasure to share my favorite dogs with others.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 09:00:58 pm »
BEAUTIFUL dogs! We don't have any Ovcharka in England at all. I own a Tibetan Mastiff and they sound very similar in temperament, though the TM's are not supposed to be so highly aggressive (though you wouldn't take liberties with one). I know the TM breeders here are VERY choosy about puppy owners as these are not dogs for the inexperienced or faint of heart. The females only come in season once a year - do the Ovcharka females do that too?

I'm sad to say that I agree with Yaz about bullmastiffs and a lot of the mastiff breeds here in England. There are way too many Neo's, bullmastiffs and bordeauxs bred indiscriminate ly here.