Author Topic: Boarding ideas for big dogs?  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Happymeal02

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Boarding ideas for big dogs?
« on: October 08, 2005, 08:26:07 am »
I am the proud owner of two large great danes, and I love them very much ... but sometimes I need to get away!  :D  I live in the Los Angeles area and boarding the dogs is more expensive than renting them a nice hotel room.  Any ideas for good care in a large enough space without breaking the bank???

Offline BABY HUEY

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding ideas for big dogs?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 09:01:03 am »
I know, I have to leave down to go to Utah for a trip on the WHite rim trail.  I need to find a place to board Louie, but I'm scared and not very trusting of places.  the cost here isn't bad.  It's only about $15 a day average.  My vet will even board them up to two weeks ($15).  However, they don't get to play with other dogs at the vet though. 

henrysmomma

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:16:27 am »
Could a trusted friend house sit for you? I feel that it would be the best option whether the dogs are big or small.. ;)

Rose ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 09:59:07 am »
Yeah, I might ask a friend to watch them, or take them to a friend's house.  I have a deal w/ a friend of ours:  I watch her dogs when she goes out of town, and she watches mine.

Have you thought about hiring a petsitter?  That is if the dogs can be left home alone for long hours.  They can be expensive, but really worthwhile in the long run.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 10:04:51 am »
I would suggest either getting a friend petsit, or asking around at the vet, pet store, etc to see who other people use.

Whatever you do, don't board them in one of those kennels that keeps them in crates the whole time - they are usually cheaper, but the dogs are miserable. They need to be able to play during the day
RIP former BPO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 09:49:45 pm »
Our kennel is expensive.  We do save a bit by putting the boys in the same run, but of course then it has to be a bigger run, and Hobo has to eat in the hallway because Sanity steals his food.  The fatty.  Araby has her own run, well because she's a brat.  We also pay for the dogs to be in doggy daycare for the day.  But this place has heated floors, webcams in the runs, TVs, option of dog bed or couch, 24 hour care, it's AMAZING.  Unfortunately our Vacas are only half as long because half the budget is allotted for boarding :(

When just I am going to be somewhere, the plan is for Sanity to go to Moni's house.  He loves Tenchi and doesn't freak when I leave him alone with her.  And Moni's wonderful, and way better with dogs than I am :P  I hope that she teaches him stuff when I'm gone :P

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 10:11:23 pm »
There's a wondeful place in El Segundo where we used to board Otis and Lucille, our first two Newfs.  It is cage free and they get to play all day with all the other dogs....I've got to research the name. .... get back to you on that one!

There's also the Kennel Klub behind the Westin on Century.  It's a bit more expensive, but they used to have a deal with both dog boarding and parking at the Westin.  the dogs are in runs, though, and you can pay extra for extra amenities.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 12:46:20 am »
We personally do not use boarding kennels for our dogs.  We have a trusted family memner, who not only watcheds the kids, but are accepted by out dogs an he stays here at their home,  Shana
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 02:46:50 am »
be carefull of kennels that have dogs in runs.  when i was a kid i used to work at one and on really busy weekends they would overbook and the people that were gone the longest would have their dogs checked into the big runns and as soon as they were gone they would be moved into little vary kennels and let out a couple times a day from there.  then before there owners got back they would be moved back into the big runs for there people to pick them up the people non the wiser