Author Topic: Guess what I saw today!!!  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Guess what I saw today!!!
« on: October 08, 2005, 10:22:31 am »
I was in Pittsburgh today for the "Heart Walk" and was riding home on a newer toll road. This road was cut through farm land, wooded areas ect and is only about 4 years old. I saw an animal up ahead of me start across the road and then I slowed way down and watched it cross 4 lanes of the highway and then climb a very big hill. When I called my hubby and described him, I thought it was a gray fox. Well I found this videa on the internet and I'm certain it was a coyote :o Years ago they brought them to the area to try to decrease the deer population and now they are killing livestock and creating havoc!! Another instance of man interfering w/ nature!!
click on the attachment below to see a movie clip of a coyote(not the one I saw but it looked like this)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 10:23:54 am by Rocky's 'Rents »

Offline Jeska

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Guess what I saw today!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 10:49:26 am »
We have coyotes around where I live too. My friend used to live out in the boonies and when I would drive home in the early hours of the morning I'd often see one or two running in the cow fields. I love listening to them talk at night. I think in my psychology book it described how farmers have been able to condition coyotes in their area not to go after sheep by putting out a sheep carcass with a product on it that made them sick to their stomachs. If I had a farm though and I had a problem with coyotes I think it would be a great excuse to get a few more dogs. :-p They're building a lot of new houses so I'll probably see a lot less deer and coyotes in a few years time. I'm going to miss them  :-\

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 11:19:45 am »
I live in suburban Chicago, near forest preserves, and we are lousy with coyotes,racoons,deer and possum. All three have adapted quite well to the urban jungle. The coyotes are by far the most elusive, but there are some open areas where you can see them playing and hunting on most days around dawn or dusk.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 11:46:29 am »
We have coyotes as well here in Southern Calif.  We live on a peninsula and they trot down ( a LONG way) from the foot hills and have established themselves here enjoying peoples' small dogs and cats along with the other wild life.  Our city actually employs a hunter to go after them :'(  They don't bother our cats because, according to the rules of the wild, he who pees highest owns the land...and the Newfies pee higher than any coyote ;D

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 02:56:51 am »
Coyotes are the masters of survival, and they are everywhere in the continental U.S.
They can adapt to any environment.
They are awesome creatures and in packs can even bring down Big Dogs.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman