Author Topic: A must read for all dog owners  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
A must read for all dog owners
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:07:54 pm »
This is disturbing but it is a must read for anyone who feeds dogs.

http://siriusdog.com/articles/dog-eat-dog-food.htm

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
Re: A must read for all dog owners
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 09:19:26 pm »
 >:(  That is just SICK!  I did not read the whole article through, is there a company name?  I use a smaller company , nutro and really like.  I would be curious what companies do this.  That is just gross!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 10:51:15 pm »
I'm sick. I read this and was stunned. Tonight I made my babies a stew of ground turkey meat, left over pot roast and potatos, chicken, carrots and chicken stock. They ate it all up and licked the dishes!   I can't feed BARF because of my contract with Finns breeder...so no raw or bones.... but I will be doing a LOT of research to find a kibble that I can trust to mix with the "stew" I make them....

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 10:59:21 am »
Thats why canned pet foods are taboo in my house. Some one on Long Island did an undercover story about a processing plant. How horrible. I think mostly store brand & cheaper brands are worse than what most of us probably use. It makes you wonder is a cereal/corn based dry dog food so bad after all, at least you know whats in it. Just have to pick up a lot more waste.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:22:10 am »
Gosh!!!! That is just too much, I feel totally sick to my stomach. We never feel canned food, and ohhhh am I glad for that now. We use a small brand, they dont sell in petstores, so you have to go onto their website to see where your closest rep. is. I have done quite some extensive reasearch on dog food, and that was rather depressing. So many of the ones with the big names and not so cheap prices, you think you are doing good when you buy, well more than what should goes into marketing and way too little into actually making a good dog food. So no matter what we serve our dogs it's a good idea to research a lot before we make our decision.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Willow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 09:43:34 pm »
It is not only "cheap" brands or canned that has this problem.  From what I have learned, it is ALL commercial dog food, because they all get their base product from the same sources and then just add their own other ingredients and name to it, so anyway you look at it, commercial dog food is a major problem for our dogs.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 10:02:56 pm »

Read your labels.

If your pet food contains anything labeled "meat" it can be anything. And I do mean anything, yes, including euth'd dogs and cats.

If it does not say WHAT kind of meat, beware.

It could be anything up to and including road kill and dead dogs and cats.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 10:59:11 pm »
Hey mamadog, have you seen those dehydrated mixes that would have all of the add-ins you'd need for cooked food?

They're pretty easy to find online, and I don't remember them being too terribly expensive.  I would have tried them, but Mickey really can't have any grains at all.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 11:11:44 pm »
It is pretty disgusting...I have read that book and it is one of the reasons I feed raw.  It really shouldn't be so shocking, though - and that is the sad part.  Its a business - a big money business - and the people running it could care less about what the dogs are eating.  The cheaper they can obtain the ingredients - the more profit for them.  They don't love your pets like you do - they are in it for the profits.

Some of the days that feeding raw gets to me - I start to think that "maybe I could just do some kibble (from a good place) and maybe just supplement.  But you never know what is in that stuff.  So I stick to the raw.  I could care less abot contracts or even Vets that tell me it isn't good.  I know what my babies are eating.  And that is  more important.  JMHO - I know raw feeding isn't for everyone - and I can completely respect everyone's decision for their choice. 

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 11:48:17 pm »
We're going raw after the holidays. I guess it's time to join the raw feeding yahoo group. Anybody have any books, articles on the subject?

Deena

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 12:40:07 am »
I've deleted my post because it was rude and contributed little.  I am very sorry and will not do this again; today (October 10th) has been a big reminder for me on how important politeness and civility truly are.

Sofia
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:46:20 am by Good Hope »

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 01:10:06 am »
Deena - Its really not that hard once you get a system down.  If I can do it anyone can.  I hate being in the kitchen and I am all for whatever is the easiest.  But this has been pretty easy so far.  I feed Barf - not prey model... my pupd love the fruits and veggies.