Author Topic: I am sorry if I offended someone  (Read 23021 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: I am sorry if I offended someone
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 04:05:20 pm »
Yes - Red will be missed.  It is really to bad...to bad people can't take everything so personally.  She will be missed greatly.  I wish I had her private email - I would write and apologize...th ings that were posted earlier about her were really uncalled for..and that is too bad.

Yaz

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 07:31:23 pm »
I am all for admiring our dogs, but I think education is a crucial element of owning a large canine. The fact that we own big dogs means we have an even bigger responsibility to ensure our pets are well within our control. Nothing frustrates me more than someone obtaining a large, potentially aggressive animal because they like how it looks, without giving serious consideration to ensuring they can dominate and control the dog. We're not dealing with little dogs who's sole purpose are to amuse and cuddle, we're dealing with large and giant breeds which can be deadly weapons if they are in the wrong hands. It is imperative that we be honest and outspoken if we feel someone is taking a wrong turn with their dog - candy coating the truth or not wanting to offend may ultimately cost someone or the dog their life.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 07:47:25 pm »
I for one am not going to tell someone giving me a gift (great advice) that I really wanted pink gift wrap paper so I don't want the gift.  I am so glad that I have printed some Red's advice, she will be missed. 

Lisa

The whole reason I joined this board is because of the way everyone talks...and how we all get along. Yes at first I was a little taken back when I read some of Reds posts...but I saw that she was giving some great advice and yes she is frank and to the point. But the point is she's really helpful! 
Red has been "dismissed"...Not only did she have awesome advise to give, she went the extra mile for some people that really needed guidance...I too was uncertain about Red's style Of "speaking" when I first knew her but I came to admire & like her very much as time went on...I, for one, will miss her very much.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2005, 08:23:09 pm »
Yes, it's upsetting that it had to come to people being removed...I wish i knew which people were removed though...

Rose

:(

i have not been on for a while, please let me know what happened with red etc........... ...
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2005, 09:58:51 pm »
Hey.. I haven't been offended yet!........ I'm feeling kinda left out :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:59:39 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2005, 10:05:49 pm »
I am really sad that all this happened. I am really going to miss Red  :'( Just the other day I was laughing at her news paper advice( hit yourself over the head...) Red if you read this we are really going to miss you, and we all love your advice.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2005, 10:10:34 pm »
Ok Brandon,  Whe the H*** is that new puppy dog!  Are you offended now, if not sorry its the best I can do.  hehehe.  Are you guys going to the PetSmart Halloween party?  I think it is on the 25th.  I have not been able to find any cute xlarge costumers.  Were did you find something for Bava?  Can't wait to see him I bet he is getting so big.

Lisa

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 10:33:10 pm »
Thanks Lisa!, that's better :)  We bought 2 from here:
http://www.costumecraze.com/Traditional-Costumes-Halloween-Costumes-Halloween-Costumes-for-Pets.html

They do have some that are in extra-large. We got two larges.  They are pretty tight on the his front legs, but I think they will work. I was thinking about that last night, and I have an idea that I think would work.  What if for the pants legs of the costume, you slit them along the back and then sewed a couple of elastic pieces to keep it together?  I think that would work with these for when he outgrows them.   I'm sure we will be at the Petsmart halloween.

Ok Brandon,  Whe the H*** is that new puppy dog!  Are you offended now, if not sorry its the best I can do.  hehehe.  Are you guys going to the PetSmart Halloween party?  I think it is on the 25th.  I have not been able to find any cute xlarge costumers.  Were did you find something for Bava?  Can't wait to see him I bet he is getting so big.

Lisa
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005, 10:58:32 pm »
Thanks for the link,  I will check it out.  What a great idea to enlarge the size.  See ya! at the party.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 12:41:42 am »
It's too bad that Red decided to leave, but I'm sure she'll be back.  To me, she came off a bit preachy at times, like every post was a sermon.  But she did have good ideas and advice most of the time.  Whatever, that was her way I guess.  I didn't see too much interaction or banter on her part, it was pretty much "This is what I do so listen up...".  I felt her intent was good, but it just came off the wrong way sometimes.  A perfect example of this is was during this thread:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,4126.0.html

She was probably just trying to help but after about 7 posts it's just too much info.  That's why I put in the pics of Drake with the cheeseburgers, just to lighten things up.  The snottiest message I ever came across on this board was this one, (not Red) and they never even backed up their statements!  Just blurted out some snotty opinions and then retreated.  It was a thread I started about the stupid laws that ban dogs in public:

Does anyone else have to deal with this stupid issue?  What is the logic behind it?
I will respectfully give you my opinion as to why the "stupid issue" is "personal responsibility".
Respecting the laws of your community is your personal responsibility to the public.

Just because I am in the public, I do not want children running up to me or my dog.
I do not stare at others in public that may be different and have handicaps, either.
I was taught to respect a person's privacy in public spaces.
Just like my civic freedom is to be free from secondhand smoke in public places, it is my freedom to be free from strangers approaching me and my dog.
Children should be taught never to approach a strange dog in public.
When I am sitting in the outdoor cafe with my dog and family, I don't want everyone to interrupt my meal with, "Oh, what a big dog!" I don't go by their table and say,"My, what a big child!"
My dog is trained to lie beside me next to the table while I eat. Why would I want your child to disturb us?
Not all dog enthusiasts or owners want to be on public display, but would like to maintain the right to private space in the public.
-I do not invite other dogs to go nose- to- nose to my dog, either.
-I don't go to dog parks either.
But I, like you, am a large dog owner. My dog is part of *my* life, not necessarily part of any dog or person that I meet on the street. I work my dog and train my dog and take great joy and pleasure in including him in the state parks, restaurants, beaches and rivers where I live.
He is usually the best behaved dog in the campgrounds and in public places. He lies quietly while other peoples dogs are barking at everyone walking by....
How long will the restaurants allow dogs outside that are jumping on every patron who walks by, getting tangled up on the chairs and tables?

NO DOGS ALLOWED is becoming more frequent in all communities because of people who don't get it. Like smokers who insist that their SMOKE outside is not harming anyone.....
now we have laws, since education didn't work.
Interesting in England, where there is an accepted etiquette for dogs in public, they are allowed in many places. But in America, we are making laws banning dogs an an uprecedented rate.

For instance, the point of having your dog on a leash is to have it in control, not to let it still run up to another dog even though it is "on leash." I can't tell you how may times this happens in public places. Not everyone in America  picks up their dog poop in rest areas, parks and sidewalks. It is common etiquette in England.

In our fine democracy, for which young men and women are dying for, your freedom ends where mine begins. In other words, just because you see the world in one view doesn't mean that is how everyone sees it.
There would be fewer laws if more people took personal responsibility to respect the rights of others on the roads and in public places.
Simple Civics 101.
The relationship you build with your dog is what is important. Some of us think that relationship is more important than creating a circus in the public arena.
Looking for someplace to take your dog? Try PetSmart...tak e your dog where it is wanted.
Please do not force your yourself in public places where there is a clear policy, as it gives dog owners a poor image.
Every dog owner portrays an image in public. If we want to prevent more bans of dogs in public, a good idea is to act as an ambassador of good will and respect the rights of others.

Mmmkay?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:50:43 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2005, 12:51:35 am »
WOW! Teach me not to check in on weekends.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2005, 01:40:47 am »
It's too bad that Red decided to leave, but I'm sure she'll be back.  To me, she came off a bit preachy at times, like every post was a sermon.  But she did have good ideas and advice most of the time.  Whatever, that was her way I guess.  I didn't see too much interaction or banter on her part, it was pretty much "This is what I do so listen up...".  I felt her intent was good, but it just came off the wrong way sometimes.  A perfect example of this is was during this thread:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,4126.0.html

She was probably just trying to help but after about 7 posts it's just too much info. 

As far as I understand Red did not leave, she was kicked out.

As for the thread in the link - I thought it was perfect way to teach new puppy owner (who by the way asked for help on this) "stay" command to help with feeding time. Not everyone is a traning expert and it looks like all advice was welcomed by the requestor.

People who knew how to do it well, but decided not to offer help for some reason, did not have to read pass first couple of messages.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2005, 01:44:57 am »
yeah life gets busy and i don't watch new topics.... missed a lot.  I must say i agree that is is sad people are leaving, or dismissed.  I also agree that there are people who post and are very condesending at times.  It sometimes makes me reluctant to post questions i know might be stupid.  Adivise is good, condesention and absolutes are not.  You may say i shoudl not give my dogs blue toys (as an outrageous example), and it may be well known that blue toys have some negative thing associated with them, but say it nicely (ie: you might want tobe careful becaue blue toys have this issue) as opposed to in the absolute truth manner (ie: I would never never give my dog blue toys they are horrible and a responsible dog owner shoudl have known that). 

I truely value this board, and as upsettign as this seems to have been for everyone, maybe it is good to air out our closetes everyonce and awhil and talk about issues. (i just wish nobpdy had to leave).

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2005, 01:57:23 am »
It's too bad that Red decided to leave, but I'm sure she'll be back.  To me, she came off a bit preachy at times, like every post was a sermon.  But she did have good ideas and advice most of the time.  Whatever, that was her way I guess.  I didn't see too much interaction or banter on her part, it was pretty much "This is what I do so listen up...".  I felt her intent was good, but it just came off the wrong way sometimes.
###################
as a breeder, long time trainer, groomer, ex vet assistant, i thought Reds posts were very professional, well stated, straight and to the point.
that is the difference in personality
where you might think she is the way you stated above, i thought her very professional, well stated, and well versed, she also explained in great detail how to do things, i never saw snobbishness, nor did i see listen up.
that is odd.....oh well it takes all kinds to make this world go round.
EDITED
to add,
not meant to hurt anyones feelings.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:58:11 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2005, 02:05:00 am »
I will miss Red very much. Her posts were in response to requests by other members, she NEVER climbed on a soap box to make her views known unsolicited. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question! We lost a very valueable resource when Red left, it was BPO that is the lesser for it.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman