Author Topic: Exciting Blood Pressure Update!  (Read 6350 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Exciting Blood Pressure Update!
« on: October 11, 2005, 12:53:16 am »
OK, it isn't really exciting, but I have to get you to read my boring blood pressure nonsense somehow...  I should have called this thread "Cute Puppies" or "The Hot Guys of LOST"....  :)

The bottom line is that my doctor wants to put me on medication for my blood pressure, which has become quite high all of a sudden.  The medication is Lotensin, which is an ACE inhibitor. 

Anyway, I am pretty sure that my high blood pressure is due to stress.  I mean, it isn't anything that a new job, new car, removal of all my debt, and the assurance that my dogs will be constantly healthy and live forever, wouldn't remove.   ;D

I am really not thrilled about having to take medication (I try to stay away from medications when I can), and I was hoping that there was some way I could avoid it.  I asked the nurse that I talked to about alternatives, but all she really said was "I need to call it into the pharmacy - it is your choice whether you pick it up and take it or not."  Thanks for the advice!  But I think the only real alternatives are to stay away from salt, get some exercise (both of which I already do), and reduce my stress (which I seem to be having some trouble with).

So, has anyone had any personal experience with this medication?  Any knowledge-able medical types have any advice to offer?  Anyone want to send me on a stress reducing all-expenses paid vacation to the tropics?  (OK, I just had to try on that last one there!) 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting Blood Pressure Update!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 03:23:17 am »
Yeah, Jenn, it looked like this medication has just kind of the "basic" side effects - not as bad as other medications, but still...

That story about your Dad is funny...yet scary.  I am loopy enough as it is without pharmceutical help!

I will try to work on getting some hot guys into this post, but I have to go slowly.  Gotta watch the blood pressure...   ;D

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 04:18:26 am »
Okay then Marsi ... how about "part" of a hot guy.  Not THAT part silly!!!  Try this, and if you do okay, we can work you up to full on hotties!!!

Dude, is that ROBOCOP?  Blood pressure stable.  Kick it up a notch!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 04:26:01 am »
Hey girls,

Marsi, my DH is on Lisinopril...a totally different drug but still an ACE inhibitor.  He's young (28) and I think his BP is more related to stress and high levels of salt in his diet.  He's been exercising a lot (2 hours yesterday, which is pretty typical) and is still taking his meds and he seems to be doing better.  He's been on the meds for about 3 years. Here's what I've noticed...It can change his mood (make him kind of melancholy and tired) and things that are affected by your mood. He would kill me if he knew I was talking about this...this is a family website so I'll keep it light.  Like many medications, it can make you not as interested in your partner. It's not that you can't be interested, it's that you just *aren't*. Not sure if you have a partner or not, so that part may not affect you. Also, if you are even thinking about getting pg, ACE inhibitors can harm baby, so be careful.  Also, DH had a really poor reaction to the first medicine he was on (Dyazide) so make sure that you have someone around whenever taking a new medicine.   I'm sure you'll be just fine. DH is a LOT healthier now and I'm really, really happy he's taking the meds. 

Just for you girls:

Julie

Julie, thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it.  It is always so helpful to hear about someone's personal experiences... . 

The last thing I need is to be MORE tired and moody!  And the last last thing I need is...  um.... that other thing you mentioned.  But overall, I guess it could be worse.  No plans for babies in the future, so I guess we are okay there.  And, heck, if I have a horrible reaction to it, I guess at least I will get a couple days off work!   :D

Whoa!  Look at my baby, Sawyer, there!  Blood pressure rising....risi ng.... 

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 04:26:54 am »
Nice post! I hope your bp gets stable again grumpy.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 04:31:43 am »
Marsi -- its BATMAN!!!  Not just any ol Batman, but Val Kilmer-before-he-got-fat-and-crazy-Batman.  If you can handle Batman ... you can handle anything!!!

And Julie -- Nice, VERY nice.

You still feeling okay over there Marsi???

HAHAHAHAHAA!  Robocop!  I am such an idiot... 

OK, skinny-and-sane Val Kilmer Batman definitely puts the BP up over Robocop... 

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 06:01:19 am »
Hi Grumpy,

Hmmm...maybe Stella will take you to Tahaiti with her....

Anyway, what do you want to know? I'll tell you if I know and ask my hubby what I don't.

Deena

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 06:13:49 am »
Tina, I promise I will be a good girl and take my yucky medicine even if I don't want to.  I need to be around for a good long time to trade posts on BPO, and to take on Jack when my kidnap day for him comes around.  I am plumping up my couch even as we speak...

Hi Deena - I guess I was just wondering what anybody knew about Lotensin... How many people experience the side effects, and how severe they are, etc., how bad it would be if I actually didn't take it (KIDDING - I know I have to), if anyone had any personal experience with it, that kind of stuff...

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 06:49:07 am »
Grumpy,

I am familar with ACE inhibitors, had some patients on them. I'll get back with you after the kids are in bed.

Deena

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 08:30:48 am »
Hey Grump - just read this thread....sorr y about your b/p being so high.  how high?  Just for your info the b/p meds routinly makes people feel tired, dizzy, etc etc.  And I can understand not wanting to take them.  Can you get a b/p cuff from wallgreens and check it when you are home and not stressed out.  There is a syndrome called White Coat Syndrome - anyway, it is called that because people always tend to have higher b/p's in the docs office.  You know how stressfull it can be - driving, parking, waiting, hassling withe the front office people, etc etc. 

If it is stress related - you can combat that.  You just have to learn ways to cope with the stress instead of internalize it.  I think we already talked about yoga, meditation, etc etc

Are you having other symptoms?  Can you tell when your b/p is high?

As for alternative things - Garlic works really well for hypertension.  Just can't take it if you are on blood thinners.  You could seek out a naturopathic physician for more holistic treatments.
Timmie

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 08:52:51 am »
Marsi, I don't know a thing about high blood pressure medication but please know that I am thinking of you...Maybe you will win the lottery & things will get back to right with you! ;D

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 11:03:15 am »
Hi Grumpy,

Okay, kids are in bed, just did a posted re: our favorite poll. So, Ace inhibitors do have some contraindicati ons, or reasons not to take them. Did your MD do blood work to check kidney function and potasium levels? If you had kidney/renal problems or high potassium levels, ACE inhibitors would not be an option. The two most common side affects are a nagging dry cough (fairly common) and orthostatic hypotension (light headed when you stand from a sitting or prone (lying down) position (somewhat common.)

Typical low salt, low chol., raw diet with increased exercise may help, or really it may not. There are so many reasons people develop BP. So often it's just like anything else in life try and try again until you find what works for you.

Finding a holistic doctor is an option. Google search stress reduction and try to find some alternatives. For me, vacations are more stressful than staying home, but then again I have 6 skin kids, 3 under the age of 5.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably start taking the meds while I looked into other options and then go with what's comfortable and what's right for you. But that has to be your decision. I'm a dentist by profession not an internist. So I am afraid this is the best I can do for you.

Keep me posted,
Deena

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 11:13:07 am »
Okay - trying to be delicate here, is there any extra weight you've gained lately? Sometimes only losing 10 lbs can help lower your BP.  I had to decrease my BP meds the last time I lost weight. Unfortunately it found me and came back home, LOL!!!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 01:43:34 am »
Deena - thanks, that was very helpful.  No, my doc hasn't done any checking on kidney function and potassium...  I don't have any problems in that area as far as I know - maybe he figures if I did, he would know about it by now...

Rocky's Rents - That was ever so delicate and sweet!  Nothing new in that area.  I am not saying I couldn't stand to lose a couple pounds, but anything extra in that area has been around awhile to no negative effect.  I am always working on it, though...

So, I guess the best choice is to start on the meds (picking them up after my event tonight) while I explore some other options.  Andi offered me some suggestions to look into, etc..   So, I will do that, buy the home blood pressure monitor, try to lose more weight, up the exercise, down the salt, force relaxation, and send positive vibes to my kidneys!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 02:05:38 am »
Marsi,
I don't have any advice, but want to say that I'm sorry ya have to go on meds.  Best of luck to ya hun!  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.