Author Topic: Just DO Something!!  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Just DO Something!!
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:15:29 pm »
I'm so frustrated with our local Humane Society. Let me give you some background:

When I moved here there was virtually no H.S. They had a phone number answered by a call board and 2 people who took turns NOT answering calls.

I met with some like-minded people and we placed a "call to action" ad in the paper and started the H.S. back up again. From 1999 to 2004 I was the president and it grew significantly in that time, we set up foster programs, got hundreds of cats and dogs adopted, established fundraisers that people looked forward to every year, and had a lot of fun.

I had enough of being in charge and slipped to VP this year. Since then, everything has changed, the treasurer is a dictator, the Pres. can't make a firm decision on anything. After the hurricanes hit, they waffled around and had meeting after meeting trying to figure out what to do, meanwhile people were calling asking for help and offering to foster. So, I started to set up a database to match homes with people in need while waiting for everyone else to make a decision. I drafted a contract for people needing to place their pets stating that they would be responsible for reimbursing us for medical expenses and must check in once/week and if we don't hear from them for a period of 30 consecutive days there pet will be put up for adoption.

We have received over $2000 in donations to help with these efforts.

Their decision was to volunteer to help the Pasado Rescue group that is keeping rescues from new orleans at a barn near here. They are doing NOTHING to say our Humane Society helped with this effort.

Today, I got this email from our president:

HSHT will ONLY pay for BASIC care, NOT fully vetted, just a check up
if needed. Because these animals are not and will not
be in the foster system, you need to call (the treasurer) to
make sure we have money for this expenditure (don't
just ask if we have money!) and two other board
members approval.
The last important thing is that HSHT cannot support
the adoptions/foster of the animals that are not in
the foster program. That means that the HSHT name must
not be on any contracts that you have with people that
are not in the foster program. If someone wants to
become a foster home for HSHT, they must go through
the proper channels. We just don't have the people or
money to set up a temporary foster program.
As individuals, we will help you with whatever we can,
but as a society we are limited!

To me, this says HSHT does not want to be involved directly in any rescue efforts. What does this say to our community? When you needed us, we weren't there. 

I'm so frustrated!! It's impossible to get anything accomplished anymore. It used to be if there was a need, we mobilized and filled it. If action was needed, we acted. Now, it's talk, talk, talk, meet, seek approval from everyone, talk some more and wait 'til the emergency has passed so we don't have to take on any responsibility or risk any liability.

Am I being completely irrational here??
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

BabsT

Re: Just DO Something!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:24:13 pm »
I am sorry...that seems very frustrating... politics are terrible...You deserve lots of applause for your actions

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 11:26:11 pm »
Thanks, but I don't want applause. I want these people and pets to get the immediate help they need - not the runaround. They have enough expenses right now. I wonder what we're going to spend this $2000+ on if not vet bills for those in need?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 02:15:12 am »
Wow, I am really impressed with what you did with the HS in the beginning.  You go girl!!

I am sorry to hear that now that you are not pres anymore, that things have changed so drastically.  Politics always mess everything up.  If people stop thinking about politics and stop worrying about rules and regulations for everything, more things would get done.  Sometimes you have to bend the rules a little to do what's right, and some people just don't seem to get that.

Perhaps there should be an impeachment?  Or perhaps mutiny would be better........ ...........som eone with some better leadershipt skills needs to be in charge.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:08:44 am »
So now I'm told the hurricane displaced pets I've found foster homes for so far (and that the Humane Society paid to have vetted) cannot be adopted out through the Humane Society contract. That I can either keep the money or reimburse the H.S. (ask me which one I'm tempted to do). What????? That makes absolutely no sense.

I was told the organization does not have the time to deal with this and that it's too "risky". UM... I'm working 2 jobs and am doing this ON MY OWN now so don't tell me there's no time. I ask again, "WHAT????"

So, I am starting my own foundation: Oasis Animal Rescue - and will do this on my own for as long as I am needed. I have 7 dogs in foster care right now. Only 1 dog needs medical attention (a spay) so I will be calling vets to see what kind of deal they can work with me. The HS doesn't want the credit so I will accept the responsibility .

I got ASPCA to donate 20 large and extra large crates for us specifically for this purpose. I wish I hadn't told anyone about it because now the HS is expecting them. I think they may only be receiving 15.

I asked the "president" (and I use that term lightly) what they were planning on doing with the almost $3000 they have had donated to assist with the hurricane displaced pets since they don't want to put forth the effort to help any. I'm eagerly awaiting her reply.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 02:39:13 am »
Good for you to start your own rescue.  It sounds like your local HS is going down the tubes.  Just don't spread yourself too thin, as you mentioned you are also working two jobs.

Good luck.  :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 04:51:19 am »
I'm just unsure of how to start the fundraising w/out the 501c3 status. I can't wait as these pets need help NOW! If anyone has any advice, let me know.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:08:20 am »
How about dog bowls onstreet corners and in front of stores asking for donations while you are working on your 501c3 paperwork? It's a start. Let me think about during the week.

Deena
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 05:09:05 am by Good Hope »

Offline Barbi

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Utah Lab Rescue
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:59:57 am »
You don't have to have your 501(c)3 status to receive donations, but you need to make sure that the money that is donated has a paper trail back to the vet, or shelter, or just an animal place!  ::)  So if someone wants to give a check, have them make it out to the vet, vets will also take credit/debit cards which can really boost donations, you can do it all over the phone right there.  Cash is great to have as there are other needs the animals have other then medical, just keep your receipts in case anyone has any questions about how it's being used.  It can be tricky, but so many people are willing to donate even if you don't have your official 501(c)3 - they just want to help a good cause, don't we all?   ;)  And, like I've always said, I'd rather help the good cause I can see doing something to make a difference, than the big wigs with all their status that get thousands and thousands, but I don't ever see them making a difference.  It's the "little guys" that make the biggest difference around here, and I commend you for taking the step in opening up your own organization.  It is hard, painful, and sometimes more than you can bare, but it is worth it, especially to those you rescue.

Best wishes,
Barbi Carroll
Utah Lab Rescue
Barbi, Brock and Peykos
www.utahlabres cue.com
Saving Four Paws at a Time!