Author Topic: From Mastiff Rescue  (Read 6673 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
From Mastiff Rescue
« on: April 27, 2005, 01:25:26 pm »
Here is something that really touched me when I read it for the first time, well it still does. It comes from the Mastiff Rescue.

DO I GO HOME TODAY???

My family brought me home cradled in their arms.
They cuddled me and smiled at me and said I was full of charm.
They played with me and laughed with me and showered me with toys.
I sure do love my family, especially the girls and boys.
The children loved to feed me, they gave me special treats.
They even let mme sleep with them - all snuggled in the sheets.
I used to go for walks, often several times a day.
Oh, it was just so wonderful to be able to play and play and play.
They are the things I'll not forget - a cherished memory.
I now live in the shelter - without my family.
They used to laugh and praise me when I played with that old shoe.
But I didn't know the difference between the old ones and the new.
The kids and I would grab a rag, for hours we would tug.
So I thought I did the right thing when I chewed the bathroom rug.
They said that I was out of control, and would have to live outside.
This I did not understand, although I tried and tried.
The walks stopped, one by one, they said they hadn't tiime.
I wish that I could change things, I wish I knew my crime.
My life became so lonely, in the backyard, on a chain.
I barked and barked all day long to keep from going insane.
So they brought me to the shelter but were embarrassed to say why.
They said I caused an allergy, and then they each kissed me good-bye.
If I'd only had some obedience training, as a little pup.
I wouldn't have been so hard to handle when I was all grown up.
"You only have one day left" I heard the worker say.
Does that mean I have a second chance?? DO I GO HOME TODAY??

This gives us all a little to think about

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Rufiesmom

Re: From Mastiff Rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 02:52:01 am »
That does make you think.  It is a two tissue poem!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 08:53:30 am »
Yes it is, well when I read it the first time, I needed a whole lot more than two  :'( The sad truth is that, this is the situation for so so many dogs. And they have absolutely no idea what they did wrong or why they are being treated that way. Sad isnt it.

Marit

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 12:19:12 pm »
makes me want to go the animal shelter right now and get another!  I have one of those husbands I was reading about that says no more but I think I can wear him down!  We just have 2 and that's not so many!!

Offline mirthfuleyes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 11:23:34 pm »
Here is something even sadder. We are an OEM fanatic family. For a few years we had three at once, and still have our beloved Mars, a wonderful dog who lights up our life. We keep our mastiffs inside and spoil them to pieces. We LOVE mastiffs. 
     I have contacted Mastiff resuce -- 15 times, if once. I have filled out family adoption forms, sent money, sent e mails. Once a woman called and asked where we live (Sacramento) - then we never heard from them again. We have a huge yard in the city plus a cabin in the woods and we are dog LOVERS.  Yet mastiff rescue does not seem to have its act together to let a loving family PAY to adopt an abandoned mastiff.   Now that's SAD!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:50 pm »
 Yes that is sad, very very sad. I am working with rescue and to think that there are rescue groups that does not grab every oportunity to place a homeless pet is terrible. I have been thinking about getting involved in mastiff rescue, after this I will absolutely look into how the different org. for mastiffs work. Do you know if the group you contacted is a  501(c)(3) If so they are not only doing the mastiffs bad, nor are they living up to the rules and regulations for non-profit rescue groups with tax deductible donations. I am very sorry to hear that there is a mastiff out there that could have a wonderful home now, and the reason it hasnt is because of a poorly managed rescue group.

Marit

Offline mirthfuleyes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 08:33:02 pm »
I feel exactly the same way. After I wrote the above message I went back to mastiff rescue (the e mail addresses I had via the web site) and sent additional reminders ---we are here, we are willing, we love mastiffs - and still - nothing. It is really heartbreaking.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 08:41:38 am »
I wasn't allowed to volunteer or adopt from Mastiff Rescue because I have an unspayed female.  I even offered to transport and they said 'NO'.  I understand that they don't want any accidental litters but if they only adopt out nuetered animals, then there isn't a problem.  I can understand their view but I was also hurt because I tried to help rescue animals since I plan on breeding Maia.  Trying to do the right thing isn't always the most respected thing to do. :-\
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 06:07:38 pm »
It does not make me happy to hear that....... I can not understand a rescue group that rejects a volunteer, at least not because of having a spayed female. Wanting to breed and wanting to work for and try and better the breed, does not mean you can not work in rescue, at least not the way I see it. What about when you buy a champion bloodline dog for $2500, spend lots and lots of money to have all the tests done and show or in other ways prove that the dog is likely to do some good for the breed, should we spay all those too???? Then what will happen to the breed a few years down the road. I love the idea of rescue, I have two myslef but that does not mean I dont like breeding. The problem is people who breed without a thought, who breed for the  money, who breed on dogs with health or mental problems, so they end up in shelters or rescue groups later on in life. To refuse someone with an unaltered dog to volunteer is NOT the way to help the breed.

Marit

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 06:47:55 am »
You said it all.  I was mad for a while but I figure I will just help out more with other rescues that don't focus on the mastiff. 
I plan to get my girl tested at 2 and as long as she passes and her temperment stays good I will breed her as long as I can find a few more homes.  I want to make sure there are homes for most to all of the puppies before I breed.  I have a couple homes, plus i will keep one, so far.
Thanks,

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 02:22:38 pm »
Good for you, it is sad though, that mastiff rescue lost out on a good volunteer. I love the mastiffs and they need a lot of help, due to irresponsible breeding. But there are soooo many other rescue org. that need your help, lots of other breeds that need all the volunteers they can get and they rescue groups that work with all kinds of breeds and mixes they do a wonderful work too. It would be interesting to hear where you end up volunteering. Please keep me updated

Marit

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 08:35:59 am »
I have volunteered at Circletail (www.circletail .org)  for a couple years now. They train service dogs and have a shelter.  I constantly have one puppy or another fostering at my house.  We get the occasional full litter, but it gets stinky with 5 poop machines in the dog room so we avoid whole litters until it is good enough weather to house them outside.

Currently I have a 3 month old lab female who is currently going to try to go into the service program.  Maia loves her and will lay on the grass and let the puppy jump on her, bite her ears and bark at her.  Suprisingly Rocco isn't too fond of her, I think it is because she took his playmate from him.  plus he is a mama's boy and hangs out with me most of the time. :P
Thanks,

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 05:15:37 pm »
That is great to hear. I took a quick look at the webpage, I have it down at the bottom on my comp now so I will go take a closer look. The way I see it, is it really doesnt matter too much where you volunteer, they all work for the same thing...... I am still looking though, for a dog rescue I really feel is right. I am working with cat rescue www.mainecoonr escue.com and we are real busy right now. I am also working a little with wildlife rehab, just a few hours a week though. And am active on www.pet-abuse.com but still have a dog rescue to find. I like the work they do at a shelter called tri-county shelter so that may be the place where I end up.

Good Luck with your foster babie. Poor Rocco wants to be the big cool guy and doesnt want to cave in and play with no pesky puppy hehe  ;D

Marit