Author Topic: The Newf Whisperer  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: The Newf Whisperer
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 10:53:22 pm »
He is just too cute. Great video
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 11:06:40 pm »
He is just too cute. Great video

Thanks, the more I watch it I wish it was longer, but it's mean to make him perform and wait too long for his reward and I had just run out when I was video taping.  Long enough to get the point.  He gets mad if I make him wait too long and starts barking and pawing at me.  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 11:40:17 pm »
Angus would like to grow-up to be just like Drake, tricks and all! He's already started and can do spins when I ask (great for cleaning his paws on the rug when he first comes in).

Offline brett_and_krystal

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 07:36:46 am »
Very cute video. What a smarty pants.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 06:08:25 pm »
I watch that video every morning.... just seems to put me in a good mood!  How do you teach that?
Karen

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 01:59:03 am »
I watch that video every morning.... just seems to put me in a good mood!  How do you teach that?

WOW!  That's great, I'm glad you like the whisper video.  As for training your pup, here's the thing, Webster is still pretty young right?  He may not have the attention span to focus enough to learn "Whisper" yet.  Has he learned, sit, stay, come, find it, leave it, etc. etc. yet?  Really well?  Those have to come first and be really ingrained in their brains.  Then you can move on to the fun advanced tricks.  You have to have Webster sitting right in front of you, looking you in the eyes.  Have that treat visable for him so he knows what he's getting if he performs.  Lean in close and softly whisper to him, "whisper".  Say it a few times if you have to.  If he barks, that's a no, no, so don't reward him for that.  If after 20-30 seconds he doesn't get it, feed him the treat and try again.  He's an intelligent Newf so he'll get it eventually, and when he does, get that treat to him fast and shower him with praise.  Before you know it, he'll be doing it for you without much prompting.  Good luck and have fun!  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 08:28:35 am »
Even your reply makes me smile!  I can tell that you thinks newfs are just as amazing as I do.  Webster will be 11 weeks old on the 18th.  He can sit, shake, come (most of the time) and goes to the door and barks to go outside (one bark only, so I'd better hear him!) He can also "get a toy".  All this w/o any REAL training.  Just sort of talking to him.  He always has this look on his face like.... how can I please you now huh, huh, huh???? For some reason, I hold off on what I call "real" training til about 12 weeks.  Attn. span is a bit longer, he has become more used to us and has learned his way around the house.  Webster does seem to bark a lot, I just thought "whisper" might be a "Good Thing"!  Besides, it looks really, really cool.
Karen

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 09:44:57 am »
 :D What an awesome trick!  Go Drake!
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 09:48:22 am »
Oh my, I love drake!!!!!!!!!!!  That's so cute!!    ;D
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline fleugle

• Gnawer
  • Cassi,
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 05:28:35 am »
great routine!
i taught cassi to "speak" it took awhile. she is usually very quiet and couldn't reward her 'til she barked.  now if a treat is involved, i can't shut her up.javascript:void(0);

Offline Tammy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 08:30:53 pm »
I finally got around to video taping Drake doing his famous whisper.  Although it's not his best performance, it's a good example.  He didn't even drool too much!  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/?v=L5DrqNtap_Y

Ooooooooh, his is wonderful!!!! ;D He is really a cutie :-* :-* :-* A great head, give him a huge hug from us in Sweden :-*
Tammy