Author Topic: why i may hv to give up Nikki...  (Read 9007 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
why i may hv to give up Nikki...
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:32:44 pm »
neighbors. specifically: the downstair neighbor.

got a second nasty call from da landlord in the month since i've moved in. 2 nites ago, while we're watching tv and the dogs were cuddling/playing, we heard what amounted to a broomstick pounding on the floor from beneath "Friends" style. the next morning, found a nasty vmail on my cell from the landlord (LL).

prepped gf for counter attack, she called LL, who, after extended circumlocution, finally had the gall to suggest we switch floors/units from 3rd to 2nd. per our prepared contingency, we agreed and told the LL to consult w/ downstairs WENCH and revert. a day later, no response. safe to assume 2nd FL evil person disagreed w/ floor swapping proposal... which leads to...

Nikki is a playful 8 month old. i've personally wanted a St. Bernie for almost 10 yrs. she's the stupidest, fluffiest thing i've ever had and i'm still reeling from her triumphant bout w/ severe hookworms... that said. she's a big Klutz. she constantly thomps on the floor and we're crating her almost 16 hrs/day now... i'm sick of doing this to her.

i assume LL will refuse my suggestion to carpet the entire wooden-floored apt. i assume LL will soon suggest ridding the puppy. i don't know what else to do at this moment besides moving out & we can not finally afford that option atm.. thoughts? advice? much appreciated...

Offline MyDogueBruno

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: why i may hv to give up Nikki...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 11:46:32 pm »
That is a bummer!

It is tough having large dogs that are playful in an upstairs apartment. Do you have a room you could throw down some carpet padding (inexpensive)? Then maybe you could keep her in there during the times she needs to tone down? It would sure beat the crate and of course having to loose her.

I have also seen tenants put sock type slippers on there dogs. Seems to work for them.

Good luck,

Scott

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 11:46:58 pm »
I can think of several solutions:

1)if the nasty downstairs neighbor doesn't want to switch is there another downstairs neighbor that will? My husband always wanted the top floor apts. so he didn't hear ppl walking above him. Maybe there is someone else downstairs that feels the same way.

2) even if the landlord won't carpet your hardwood, you can purchase large area rugs - some even quite thick - at Target, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. for quite cheap. Just lie those over the hardwood for some sound insulation.

3) talk with the downstairs neighbor. Find out when she is home most often and try to work out a schedule when it's permissable for the romping and when she needs them to be more settled. That way, Nikki will get into a routine of when it is playtime and when it isn't and you won't have to crate her for too many hours.

4) take Nikki for long walks when you get home or to a dog park if you are fortunate enough to have one close so she can burn off her energy and be ready for sleepies when you bring her home. Or, if you can afford it, hire someone to come walk her before you get home to help burn off that energy. If there are no professional dog walkers in the area, hire a responsible teenager from your apt. building, church or a high school/college.

5) if the landlord says you absolutely cannot keep her there, ask him if you can get out of your lease with no penalties because he is renigging on his agreement to let you have the pet so you can find a more Nikki-friendly living arrangement. It sounds like he is pretty reasonable and trying to find a solution everyone can live with instead of just giving you - or Nikki - the boot.

6) bring her to my house. I'll keep her!!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 11:59:54 pm »
your neighbor knew she lived in a dog friendly building when she moved in?? Yes? 
Those are the breaks.  she really shouldn't complain. 

But...I like the carpet idea.  What landlord would appreciate one of his units carpeted?   

Me...personall y...if I had to I'd move if that lady won her fight.  I couldn't loose either of my girls.   

Let us know how it turns out.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:04:47 am »
re 1) only 2nd and 3rd floors in the loft unit. the first floor is a gym. so it's either her or me.

re 2) we already bought some area rugs, but the place is ~1K sq ft, i can't buy enough area rugs, not to mention Nikki'll be 100 lbs+ sooner than later, no area rug (that we can afford) will isolate noise as well as long hair carpet w/ foam padding.

re 3) i've already talked to the neighbor. she's a BEEYOTCH. i told her (2x) i'm open minded and considerate, please let me know whenever things get excessive. she refuses and directly calls LL.

re 4) we let Nikki / Cody romp outside before feeding/sleepy but both of 'em likes to get up, move, thump onto to new spots every hr on the hr in the middle of the nite. i can't STOP 'em from doing that. they're DOGS! not to mention Nikky likes to play! and i like it when she plays w/ Cody. she's gonna be a puppy for another... YEAR?

the thing is.. per the LL's website,
best of all, every Bold Development apartment is PET FRIENDLY.

o the irony..  ::) >:(

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 12:10:37 am »
no kidding.

well your lady neighbor should be more understanding.  It's stupid that she can't confront you directly.  she might be surprised with the results if she would just try. 
You shouldn't have to make nikki do things she's use to and born to do.  Dogs wake up in the middle of the night...dogs play...dogs run...dogs bark.  Deal with it...wake up...smell the coffee.

Good luck!!! I hope you can keep her.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:20:20 am »
Hey Tony,
 Here's my option. Give her to me! hehehehe! Seriously, if you can't figure out a way to deal with the wench and work something out, she is more than welcome at my FARM. Yes, my FARM. hehehehe! Right now, I live in Bloomington, but I'm up that way quite a bit. We could even have visits!
 Hmm....other than that, I'm all out of ideas. Guess you're just going to have to give her to me.... ;) ;) ;)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:34:42 am »
^ this reply.. in some ways.. is SO WRONG! stop being a vulture!!!  :D
go take Megan's dog. ;D .. and she's a CITY dog. C.I.T.Y.

(nikki also represents a monetary investment... she's seen the vet more in the last 2 months we've owned her than i have seen my MD all year... )

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:41:53 am »
hehehehe! Megan's dog? Why would I take Megan's dog? She doesn't want it anymore?

No Saint is a C.I.T.Y dog at heart.  ;)

I'm not being a "vulture", I'm helping you solve your problem.  :P I'm being a kind-hearted BPO sistah.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 01:57:50 am »
Hey Tony

It seems to me like you are the one making all the efforts to find a resolution, and this tenant is being a well like you said a B$#^h.  If I were you I would stay right where you are and keep Nikki, like it said, this place it pet friendly. This girl new that when she moved in. And even if lyou leave she will be the same when the new person moves in.

What I did when we were having problems with the tenants downstairs is we called a house meeting with the landlord and all the tenants and talked everything out. And since then we have had no problmes.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 02:18:12 am »
is there some rule about this in your lease?  If not i say "sucks to be the lady bellow." You are beign very nice to offer a switcherooo when it seems to me that they have no grounds to evict you or anything like that.  The eviction process is long and horrible, and i doubt your landlord would want to go through that.

If your rental agreement doesn't say anythign about having dogs, or noise from normal use of the apartment, how can she forse yo uto give the dog away?

(I could take her though if you really needed someone, and i live in a city!!!)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 03:30:42 am »
What a horrible circumstance.  I hope everything can be resolved w/o you having to move.

I wonder what the lady downstairs would do to people with small children?  Would she complain about them too?  Kids can be much more noisy than dogs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:31:21 am by ZooCrew »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 03:50:22 am »
Hey, there's an idea!! Drop the dogs off somewhere for the afternoon and bring a coupe of rowdy kids over when you know the b. downstairs is going to be there. Let them - well... act like kids until she complains about the noise. Then, ask her - which would she rather have above her - the noisy kids running all over or a few flops from a big dog?

Hee Hee!!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 03:54:39 am »
We lived in a pet friendly apartment building.  We were on the 2nd floor and the neighbors below were the ones with the two dogs.  A white shepard and a burmese.  Everyday we heard the loudest strangest noises and I eventually went down to find out if the person below us could keep it down.  I came to find out that the dogs would drag their metal feeding bowls around after they ate and the burmese was chewing through the wall out of boredom. lol.  But I suggested maybe she change the feeding bowls to something heavy that wouldn't drag across the stone tile.  And I suggested getting her dogs something to chew on other than the wall.  We had an adult conversation and came to an agreement that worked.  They weren't always quiet, but it was alot better.  Maybe you just need to talk to the neighbor and see if you guys can work it out between you.  If she's not willing to talk and work things out, have her sign something saying so.  It will protect your butts in court if it ever came down to eviction or getting out of a lease.  Once she sees that you are truly serious about working things out, she might come around.  I've seen stranger things happen.

BTW, that neighbor downstairs from me wound up a really good friend of me and my husband in the end.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 04:47:01 am »
That sucks that your neighbor and landlord are being ridiculous. I would freak out if a landlord tried to tell me I had to get rid of my dog.

I am a landlord so I have some experience in this area. I doubt that your landloard is legally allowed to say you have to get rid of your pet just because the neighbor doesn't like it, but what it all comes down to is the lease.

What does your lease say about pets (word for word)?
RIP former BPO