Author Topic: Service Dogs anyone??  (Read 10387 times)

Jen

Service Dogs anyone??
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:19:14 am »
I am interested in learning all I can about the world of service dogs, more specifically those that service people inflicted with neurologic conditions.  I have heard that the Great Pyrs are especially usefull for anything neuro related.  I have family members with neurologic disoders such as Parkinson's and Seizure disoders so I am passionate on the subject.  I also have a Male Great Pyr intact that I am thinking of breeding for service dog puppies as a donation in my family's name, not for profit. I would appreciate any info, I know nothing on the subject of service dogs but very interested.

Jen

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Service Dogs anyone??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:55:14 pm »
I know in England they are testing Labradors to check for bladder cancer (so THAT'S what they are doing when they smell someone's crotch!!  ;)) and I think it was in past issue of Whole Dog Journal ( www.wholedogjo urnal.com ) that they talked about the dogs that are warning their owners of seizures.  We are actually hoping our puppy Chester will eventually be able to warn us when the big boy, Cowboy, is going to seize!  I'll look through my past issues and see if I can find it and I'll let you know.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 05:07:48 pm »
Okay...I was off.  It was in "BARK" magazine, Fall 2004.  (I LOVE that magazine...gre at writing!)  THEY wrote about  a scientific report in the June 2004  issue of "Neurology"  about a study of 122 dogs-owning families of children with epilepsy...15% could anticipate a seizure and in several cases would protect the child from being hurt during a seizure.  Female dogs were more likely to be able to predict a seizure.  AND it was the larger breed females that were best:  German Shepards, Retrievers, Rottweilers and Standard Poodles.  The doctor who lead the research is Dr. Adam Kirton, a pediatric neurologist at Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary, Canada.  That may be a place to start...

Hope it helps!  Any time dogs and humans work together, good things happen!

Jen

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:07:13 am »
Thanks for that does anyone know of any orginaztions I can contact to get info on how to start the training?

Rufiesmom

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:49:11 am »
I know I'm off the subject but Pyrs are cancer sniffing dogs too.  Rufus's mother found breast ca in the woman that was their breeder.  She kept sniffing and bugging her until she finally got it checked and there really was something wrong.  I think dogs know all kinds of things we can't even guess at!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 01:44:43 pm »
Okay....this month's issue of "Bark" there was a response to the previous article and there's a bit more info.:  There's an organization in Massachusetts called "NEADS" ...look at www.neads.org

I was just reading about it and they sound like they do amazing work "NEADS" stands for National Assoc. for Assistance Dogs Services and site will tell you everything you need to know!

Jen

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 08:09:13 am »
Thank you I read up and there are a few concerns #1- they are not raised by a trained handler but by PRISON INMATES ???  #2- they are not servicing people with neorological diseases such as Seizure Disorder and Parkinson's ect...

Jen

Okay....this month's issue of "Bark" there was a response to the previous article and there's a bit more info.:  There's an organization in Massachusetts called "NEADS" ...look at www.neads.org

I was just reading about it and they sound like they do amazing work "NEADS" stands for National Assoc. for Assistance Dogs Services and site will tell you everything you need to know!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 08:21:52 am »
Being trained by the inmates is only the basics, at least at circletail.org .  The dogs are trained by professional but the inmates enforce the training.  The good thing about inmates is that they have the time and energy to give each dog individual attention and focus.  The 'real' trainers work with the inmates and their dogs one day a week.  Each dog is brought home to CT monthly and evaluated and sometimes put back in prison for more trianing or sent to a foster home for socialization.  There have only been 2 issues in the 7 or so years CT has been going.

It takes a special dog to be able to sense Seizure Disorder and Parkinson's being in prison allows the inmate to observe the dog and report back to the trainer.  This allows the trainer to focus on the dogs who actually have the potential to do it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Jen

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 08:43:14 am »
You seem to be knowledgible on the subject.  Are you a trainer working for one of these orgs?  Do you know if there are orgs specializing in Neoro service dogs that do provide for the people with Parkinson's or Seizures?  Since my loved ones are suffering from these types, that is were my focus is. 
Jen

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 09:24:44 am »
I'm not an expert I just volunteer.  I am definately not a trainer.  check out www.circletail .org, there is some contact information on there that will put you in contact with Marlys.  She can tell you anything you want to know and probably direct you some groups in your area.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Jen

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 10:14:39 am »
thnx!