Author Topic: Does anyone cart with their dog?  (Read 8010 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Does anyone cart with their dog?
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:59:20 pm »

We are going to start training Samson to pull a lightweight PVC pipe cart very soon....My goal is to beable to have him pull my small children on their sleds next winter & to have him in town parades...Has anyone any experience, comments, or advice on this topic?...Samson is a Great Pyrenees & LOVES when I put him to work...He has a doggy backpack (saddlebags) & loves when we walk to the library while he is carrying the books..He's all business until we have dropped the books & the weight is off...lol!

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
Re: Does anyone cart with their dog?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 10:14:40 pm »
I bet Jenny could help you out! *cough cough* :)
Perhaps she'll be on tomorrow?!
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:42:48 pm »
Hi,

I do drafting (and backpacking) with my dog.  I'm working on being a draft judge, and I have a hobby business building carts and selling harnesses.  Over the last few months, I've put together some draft clinics and practices. 

Its very rewarding and practical, but not something a dog will learn in a week.  Contact me privately if you'd like some hard copies of handouts.  Or visit www.rrgsmd.com.

Jennie
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:50:54 pm »
Okay, here comes my totally no expert advice, well it isnt even an advice really, just how I very unsofisticated did it. I used to breed and train horses, and had shetland ponies for my children, we did pull sulkies with them, so I have experience lol..... just not with dogs.

However, we have a Siberian Husky, a rescue from the humane society, we live in NC, so not a whole lof of snow here, but the winter before last we had a bit, a friend of mine had a pulling harnes, so we put it on him and off we went with the snow hmmm do you call it sled??? you know the little kind they sit on the bottom in. I know from having worked a lot with dogs in other respects and horses that, that was the absolut no no thing to do, but hey it worked, he was happy as a lark and my then 3 year old had a blast. He was having the time of his life. After that I have not done any carting or pulling, but now when I talk about it, it would probably be a fun thing to do, even without snow, especialy since he enjoyed it so much.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 06:51:17 am »
Ty everyone for your replies!...I think Samson is really going to love it!...He loves when I put his back pack on him & he carries our books back to the library...When that weight is on him he's all business...He seems to enjoy hvaing a job to do...Jennie, I will e-mail you later to get some more advice & such about this...Right now I have two children who need a little guidence in getting ready for school...Well, guidence is on word for it anyway...lol!