Author Topic: New Member to BPO - Leonberger - "Miss Kate"  (Read 7944 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: New Member to BPO - Leonberger - "Miss Kate"
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 08:04:46 am »
Hi Kelly, Welcome to BPO! You will love it here :)

Kate is absolutely adorable!

As far as the stairs go, I wouldn't worry too too much about them. The reason you want to try and limit them is to help prevent hip dysplacia, and there are many other preventative actions you can also take to help protect the hips, but of all the preventative measures to take to help protect dogs from HD, keeping them off of stairs is the hardest, since they want to be able to go where you go, and stairs are just an unavoidable part of life. ... And luckily, leo's are only ranked 60th  (compared to say a Saint, which is ranked 6th) on this OFA's list of breeds most likely to acquire HD ( http://www.offa.org/hipstatbreed.html ). You should deffinately try and carry her up/down stairs as long as you can (to protect her hips while they are still forming), but when she gets too heavy to carry, don't worry that you are hurting her. It will help her form muscles, and the more muscles she has to support her hips, the better  :)

As far as getting her to respect the baby gate goes, two of the most helpful comands to teach her are  "leave it" and "wait". With the help of those, you can teach her to stay away from the baby gate.... Either that, or you can take the route we took: fear. Now, I would never try and make zoey afraid of anything, but we usually just lean the babygate against the opening instead of putting it in place for real (it's just easier) and when zoey was a baby, she accidentally knocked it down a few times. As a result, zoey thinks the baby gate is alive and trying to eat her, so she is terrified of it  :o At first we felt bad, but now that she is big and strong enough to knock it down if she felt like, I am pretty glad that she is afraid of it...
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 09:51:13 am »
What a gorgeous girl Miss Kate is! I love the pics of your little fur ball.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 02:17:38 pm »
Oh she is soooo cute.  Don't be afraid to post all of your 100 pics.   ;D  ;D  We love pics here.

Offline Barongsd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • OurHouse German Shepherds
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 07:56:44 pm »
Welcome to the board. Kate is just beautiful! We have a 5 y/o German Shepherd and a 4 y/o German Shepherd ... we are in southeast Michigan ....
Randy & Debbi Marx
OurHouse German Shepherds
http://ourhouse48183.tripod.com
    Can/UKC Ch ShadowValleys Baron of OurHouse (AKC pt'd)
     Can Ch. ShadowValleys Nora B of OurHouse a.k.a. "Elle"

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 08:15:38 pm »
Welcome to BPO Kelly,  your Kate is just a little doll.  I have two Great Pyrenees. Sugar Bear is now almost 16 months and Dixie Darlin is almost 10 months.  Time sure does fly when they are growing so fast.  I look forward to seeing lots of photos of your baby girl.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 12:01:10 am »
Oh she is soooo cute.  Don't be afraid to post all of your 100 pics. We love pics here.

My thoughts exactly ;)
RIP former BPO

k2campbell

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:01 am »
Can someone please tell me how to add a picture to my profile (that shows automatically)?  Can't seem to figure that out!

Also, how do I list the dogs I have (or that have gone to Rainbow Bridge) to show underneath my posts as some of yours do?

Thanks all for your welcomes - I think I am going to like it here a lot!

Here's a picture of Kate with her best buddy, a BMD 'Tucker' and little friend (Westie) 'Wally'.  Wally doesn't like playing with the big dogs much, he's a bit of a grumpy fellow!

Cheers,
k2campbell

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 01:15:05 am »
Welcome! That pup looks like an angel! Leonbergers are so beautiful... I only just found out about them recently with the help of this website. And my boyfriend's middle name is Lineberger so I told him he has to get one someday! Ha!
 ;)

~Rebekah (human)
~Zoot (Pointer mix)
~Nigel (Bloodhound mix)
~Mokey (9 week old mystery mix)
~Furley (Old English Sheepdog/Husky mix)
 :D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 02:11:37 am »
Can someone please tell me how to add a picture to my profile (that shows automatically)?  Can't seem to figure that out!

Also, how do I list the dogs I have (or that have gone to Rainbow Bridge) to show underneath my posts as some of yours do?

You can add an avatar (pic next to your post) and signature (text under your post) by modifying profile. Click on 'profile' under 'user tools' on the right side of the screen, then click on 'forum profile information' under 'modify profile' on the right side of the screen. There you can upload the picture you want and add the text you want in the 'signature' area.
RIP former BPO

Kiahpyr

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005, 10:57:01 am »
Welcome! Miss Kate is so adorable!!!! I have a 7 month old pyr named Kiah.

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 11:20:17 am »
Hello!
Would like to say hi to everyone, what a great site this is - just joined.  My name is Kelly, am from Canada.  This is a picture of our darling "Kate", she is now 14 wks old.  Picture taken at 13 wks.  We love Kate - she is our first Leonberger!

Hi Kelly - I've got a 14 (almost 15) week old Leo too!   ;D ;D  Welcome!  I think you'll find that you love it here, people are wonderful and give great advise!  Can I ask where your Kate came from?  My Leo is from Canada also - and with the age and look similarity I thought we just may have siblings!!  ha! 

Here's my guy..(and he's from Shelia and Pierre at Lematire Kennels in Abbotsford?)  We hit the beach this weekend!  First time....

k2campbell

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 02:15:58 am »

You can add an avatar (pic next to your post) and signature (text under your post) by modifying profile. Click on 'profile' under 'user tools' on the right side of the screen, then click on 'forum profile information' under 'modify profile' on the right side of the screen. There you can upload the picture you want and add the text you want in the 'signature' area.

Hello Shangrila,
After numerous attempts at this - I can't seem to get the picture to save.  It starts uploading, then crashes (whether on my home or work computer).  Any other things I should be selecting that I'm not?

Thanks for your help,
k2campbell