Author Topic: TROLL??  (Read 4011 times)

smohr

TROLL??
« on: October 14, 2005, 11:33:19 am »
Ok; this is gonna sound so stupid, but I've been on the net several years and still don't know what a "troll" is.  I feel stupid asking.  What is a "troll" since I've read we may have one lurking in the basement or attic around here.    :P 

I'd  hate to run into him somewhere and not know what one is.   ;) 

S'plain please...?  ???

Thank ya.

This look like a troll?  Heehee.

Nite all...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 11:34:22 am by smohr »

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: TROLL??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:37:43 am »
A troll is someone who goes to sites for the sole purpose of starting trouble.  They dont' contribute anything they go to sites just to stir them up and instigate fights.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

smohr

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:56:12 am »
>:(  thanks for clearing that up.  Why would someone do that ?  >:(

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 12:09:15 pm »
Here is a great link on trolls:

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Offline MyDogueBruno

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:16:41 pm »
Love the Pic Smohr!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:16:55 pm »
Thanks for the link, Brindle Pack. And I read the extras on manners and quoting, Holly and found them helpful as well. This is the first board that I have been active on and not just a lurker, and I had never heard of a Troll either.
Stella

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 09:26:41 pm »
Thanks--I didn't know either.

Offline Mirabelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 09:30:52 pm »
Hi!  CUTE picture!!!  Awwww....

Another thing a troll can do is just lurk and look for an "in" to gain information about people, or whatever his/her interest is.

People "troll" dog boards looking for dogs to snatch up for their breeding programs, or perhaps to use as bait for fighting dogs (yes it's awful, but they do it),  animals that they can sell to research facilities, etc. 

That's why it's super important to be fully aware of who you're dealing with all the time...and don't trust someone just because they seem nice on the net.  A female poster may, in fact, be male, and vice versa. 

If someone makes contact with you and wants something from you, personally, just make sure you don't do anything without checking out who that person is first.  In other words, just be VERY careful...with yourself, your children, and your animals!!!

Visit our family at www.ardeagold. com

smohr

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 01:31:23 am »
Here is a great link on trolls:

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Thanks; that's great info.  I had no idea what trolls were or what they could do to a site.

SMOHR

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 10:37:52 pm »
wow I am sooo not net savvy. I though Trolls were short plump hairy folk that live under bridges & stairs.  ::) But now I will be more careful.

Offline RottiesNY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Andy's dog site
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 04:04:07 am »
 Geez, I'm a guy and I didn't know what that meant either.  SO, I have a troll problem on one of my other sites and I thought just a trouble maker. Glad to hear he has an official name.

I have or should say HAD a woman friend who would come to a truck site that I visit. Nothing going on, just two people who enjoy talking. This guy came over from another site we both visit and called her some pretty bad things on a thread we were both replying to.  She kinda just let it go untill her teenage son came on and read that stuff. Now, she is gone  :(.  The other guys on the site lit into him pretty good but it was too late.   

Kinda stinks to think that a man and a woman can't chat or talk back and forth without someone causing a problem or thinking that one of them is looking for more  :( >:( 

Thanks for that link. I'm going to post it everywhere I go  :)
So many rescues, so little time !