Author Topic: Panosteitis :(  (Read 6526 times)

Lyn

Panosteitis :(
« on: October 16, 2005, 01:00:23 am »
This morning Bubba started limping.. both front legs are bothering him. The right leg he won't even walk on.  :'( I felt and moved around both front legs I even checked between his toes. He doesn't show any pain.. until he tries to walk on it. Even laying on the right leg seems to bother him. But yet when I push on it.. nothing.  ???

I called my vet and he mentioned the possibility of it being Pano (growing pains), told me to give him baby aspirin which I did. And that if the limping and pain didn't start to subside in 3 days to bring him in for an x-ray and exam.

I'm not sure whether it is pano or not since hubby was wrestling with Bubba lastnight. Even though I HATE it when he does. They play rough.. and Bubba loves it. Is it possible that he 'tweaked' his legs last night but didn't show any pain until today? Hubby thinks it looks like there may be some swelling in the 'ankle' on the right leg.. a tad bit bigger than the left 'ankle'

He was fine when we got up at 7am.. then at 10am he was just standing in the kitchen and let out this yelp and has been limping since. ???

If this is pano the vet said there is no treatment, that it will subside when he's done growing.. which is a long way away since he's only 8 months old.  :'(

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Panosteitis :(
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 01:08:49 am »
Aww, poor Bubba! It must be heartbreaking to see him in pain! Well, whatever it is, let's hope it's not serious and that he will be feeling better after some rest.  :)
I have seen my pup Nigel limp around a little bit after playing rough, and he was feeling better in about a day, so who knows? It could have been the rough playing, like you said.
He would probably love a lot of petting and massaging at a time like this!!! ;D

Hope he feels better soon!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:06 am »
I am soooooooo sorry.  Sugar Bear has been dealing with Pano since the age of 5 months.  It just comes and goes from week to week.  He is now almost 16 months and only has limping from time to time when he and Dixie over do it with a play fight.  I did find that when I got Dixie and he spent more time in active play it started to get better as he built up his legs.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 02:59:22 am »
You may also check him for lime.
So sorry that your baby is in pain!

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 04:58:16 am »
Strider was diagnosed with pano after a mistaken diagnosis of HOD, at 4 months. If you can imagine, in a twisted sort of way I was releived that it was pano. Although there is no cure, it does resolve itself after the worse of the growth spurts, and although there are changes to the bones, they are not grossly disfiguring like HOD. Analgesics (our vet used Rymadil for a 6 weeks) are greatly helpful, and we have not had a reoccurance and he is now almost 10 months. Although none of us like to see our babies in pain, according to all my research, pano is the mildest of the bone/joint diseases that our BP's can get, and the most treatable. Hugs to you and Bubba, and keep good thoughts.
Stella

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 06:03:45 am »
Thanks all. Bubba is reallllly sore.  :'( I feel so bad for him.

I gave Bubba the aspirin at 12:30 this afternoon he's not longer crying or whining. But he still will not use his right leg. When he walks he touches his toes to the floor and that's it. And when he does apply any weight to it the leg starts to shake. After watching him all morning and afternoon is seems like it's his shoulder that's bothering him. Expecially when he twists to turn around. I felt around his shoulder and rotated it around but he didn't show any signs of discomfort.

I guess I could be wrong about the shoulder.. but he just seems stiff..  ??? He's definitely been less active today, so I haven't really had to restrict him too much.

If Hubby haden't been wrestling with him lastnight it would know for sure that there was no trauma... but it is possible that he tweaked something since hubby was flopping him and rolling him around and they were running around like children. Problem is Bubba isn't one to show pain unless he's really hurt himself.

I guess I'll have to give it a few days and see what happens.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:04:59 am by Lyn »

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 07:14:52 am »
Pano can last two days, two weeks or a month
on xray it will look like white cloudy stuff.
i would bet it is growing pains.
is he on a raw diet.
right now you might want to switch to bravo raw for a while for one meal a day.
the turkey necks, at 100 lbs they go to two necs.
bravo is a great premixed raw food, he would be getting what he needs and nothing in excess.
during critical growth, my newfs are given one raw bravo meal a day the other is kibble, i do this from about the five month mark, to the 12-18 month mark.
bravoraw.com
i think.
good luck
maybe it is just a tissue injury.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 07:24:42 am »
Bubba is eating kibble.. I just switched him to Natural Balance Potato & Duck due to a suspected allergy. It seems to be helping.. his itchiness isn't as bad now. I'm not exactly sure what Bubba is allergic to.. but he was eating Canidae which is mainly chicken and turkey.

Poor Bubba.. first the hot spot and iching, scratching and chewing.. and now this.  :'(

I think I will take Bubba in for that xray.. Hopefully it will tell us what's going on. My vet wants me to wait until wednesday... but I don't know if I can watch him gimp around without knowing what's wrong for that long. I keep thinking of the what if's.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 07:28:04 am by Lyn »

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 09:16:40 am »
All i can tell you is that during pano sometimes diet can exasperate it and bring symptoms on worse, i have heard some say they have had sucess with switching diet during this period, and the symptoms go away sooner.
pano is not a lifetime thing, i would hope your breeder educated you on this?
ask her! ;)
Photography by Christine

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 08:27:53 pm »
Actually no..  :( Bubba technically came from a backyard breeder. Someone I know which makes it worse. She did test both Bubba's parents though for HD, ED and heart issues. BUT her and I had a bit of a falling out recently since she's actually planning another litter. AND she told me she was going to spay/neuter after Bubba's litter. I firmly believe that both parents should be worthy prior to being bred. She never did show either of them. Sure their health tests were great.. but that's not the whole picture. That's why I've been turnin to everyone here for advice.. someone always knows.  :D

Sar, My hubby wants a Newfie next.. if you only lived closer.  ;)

Good news though.. Bubba is putting weight on his legs as of this morning. I know pano effects the long bones... but does it effect the shoulder? He will stand normally with weight on the leg but as soon as he walks forward he's tucking the shoulder in.

Ooops forgot to mention.. My vet also mentioned a lower protein diet.. The Canidae was 24% and the Potato and Duck he's on now is 21%. I just completed the switch about 4-5 days ago.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 08:39:45 pm by Lyn »

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 09:16:44 pm »
They can get OCD in the shoulder, i would still run him in if not 100% by tomorrow, they can get a chip in the joint.
glad to hear he has improved.
Photography by Christine

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 03:06:25 am »
Aww I'm glad he is doing better, Give him a big hug and kiss from me  :-*
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 03:37:46 am »
Well I'm back from the vet.. I was hoping to speak with him but he's was busy with an emergency.

And good news Bubba is no longer limping.. he's a bit gimpy after getting up from a nap but other than that he's back to his normal self.

So he must have done it wrestling with hubby. I don't think Pano or OCD would disappear overnight could it?

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 08:39:18 pm »
Jacksmom, you should have seen my hubby's face. He thought I was going to massage his back.. I'm like nooo get out of the way, I'm massaging Bubba. LOL

I really wish I could have got Bubba on video yesterday.. omg he was crazy hyper. Making up for those lost hours when he couldn't run around. It was 28 hours total from the first limp to him running around like a maniac.

I did finally get ahold of my vet after they closed last night. He said if after 28 hours he was back to normal that it probably wasn't that severe. He did mention too that it sounds more like a pulled or strained muscle and that he doesn't think an x-ray is neccessary right now. But if it happens again to bring him in right away.

I also found out yesterday that hubby has been letting Bubba jump off the last 3 steps to the rec-room. >:( I always walk in front of him holding his collar so he can't jump. I thought hubby did the same since he knows he's not allowed to jump off the steps. It's bad enough that he has to climb up and down them quite a few times a day. That would make sense also now how both Bubba's front legs were gimpy with the right leg being worse. But when he jumps off he sometime lands more on one leg that the other... so hmmmmm. I think I need to kick some hubby butt.  :P