Author Topic: Ramps / Steps  (Read 2298 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Ramps / Steps
« on: October 16, 2005, 04:09:03 am »
I want to get a ramp or a set of dog stairs to put at the end of the bed for Zoey. Because of her HD, she shouldn't be jumping, but she likes being on the bed so much sometimes it is an issue, so I want to get something for her to be able to get on/off the bed without jumping.

We have a pet step ramp for the truck, but it wouldn't work for the bed (it has to lean on the edge to stand up; if we get a ramp, it has to be a ramp that supports itself). I am having trouble finding something that supports a giant breed and is tall enough (I need it to be 2 feet).

Does anyone have one of these that they can reccomend to me?
RIP former BPO

Offline Jen and Rick

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Ramps / Steps
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:47:46 pm »
I've seen those ramps you mention at our local feed store. They look like a great thing.

I'm not sure if this would work, but here's an idea.  Could you build a small platform out of 2x4's or somesuch for the end of your bed? I'm imagining a sturdy, rectangular box type thing that would sit at the foot of the bed and support the ramp you already have.   I'm thinking it might work since it would give the ramp a hard, immobile surface for support.  Depending on how handy you feel, it could even be stained/painted to match the room and be extra storage inside. Or you could just throw a matching cover over it to camouflage.   :D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ramps / Steps
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 07:29:20 am »
Are either of you at all handy?  If you are, it would be a lot easier just to make one. 

I built a ramp for my grandparents steps in about 30 minutes for about 20 dollars using 2x4 stock and stair treads from Home Depot.   How much space do you have in your room for it?  You probably shouldn't go much above an 8" rise, which would put your ramp at about 3 feet in length (a 6" rise would put it at about 4 feet--putting it on castors might be useful, but those cost about $8 apiece, I'd only use those if you're going to need to move the ramp around.)  All I used was a jigsaw, some nails and a hammer--oh, and the straight edge and a pencil to draw the cutting angles on the runners.

Plus if you build it--you could carpet it to match your decor, and she wouldn't slip on it!  ;) 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad