Author Topic: Leashes for pulling big dogs  (Read 5558 times)

Offline sedonan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Leashes for pulling big dogs
« on: October 05, 2005, 05:21:53 am »
I have a male Bouvier/Irish Wolfhound cross, Jake, 10.5 years old, who weighs in at 100 pounds, and a female Rottweiler/Lab cross, Lucy, 4 years old, who weighs in at about 70 pounds. Both are rescue dogs and have some minimal training. My problem is when I take them for a walk and they want to "visit" another dog, which usually ends with them trying to beat it up, it's all I can do to hold them back.

Until I can give them some more training, I need something that will stop them from dragging me everywhere.  Would a halter or a "gentle leader" work? I have seen dogs with the gentle leader, heeling perfectly, but the walk is for them and I want them to sniff, leave pee-mail and enjoy themselves. I just want them to leave other dogs alone and leave my shoulders in their sockets. Help!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Leashes for pulling big dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 05:25:06 am »
I would suggest a halti or gentle leader ( same thing I think, just dif brands) That is what I use and they don't pull at all. Works better for me and my dogs than a halter. But the trick is to get the right size or they'll slip out of them. I took my 2 dogs with me to the prt store and tried them on til I found the right size.

Good luck, hope this helps
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 05:25:50 am »

Get prong collars.

I use them ALWAYS when I walk more than one dog as I am not a big person, and will NOT have myself in a situation where I cannot control my dogs.

They do not have to hurt the dogs, but they sure give you the power when you need it.

I get the SMALL kind, they work SO much better, but you will need to get extra links to make them fit.

ALWAYS use another collar WITH a prong collar, as they can come unsnapped without warning and then you have a leash with a dangling collar and a loose dog.

Other than this, they work GREAT, and won't cause any basal skull or neck injuries like head halters can on pulling dogs.

Combine this, of course, with TRAINING on how to walk on leash without pulling.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 05:26:22 am »
What collars are you using now?  There are many options...you just need to find what you feel comfortable with.

I personally use the pinch/prong collars on both my dogs and neither pull

On a side note...what you are using the gentle leader or halti for wont correct the problem but just supress it...

I would suggest working with each individually and giving a correction and putting them into a sit until the dog goes by or they are behaving

Then use the GL or halti for your comfort and aiding control

BUT they need to know that is unacceptable behavior

Offline sedonan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 02:43:00 am »
Thank you. I have a prong collar for Jake; I will dig it out and start using it. I have Lucy on  a regular choke collar; she will choke herself to go where she wants to. I tried a halter on Jake this morning; we've been going out so early no one else is around so I don't know if it will slow down his progress towards other dogs or not, but I doubt it.

I agree, I can't be out there with two big dogs that I can't control. I won't let it come to that, although sometimes I feel it's pretty close! And the older I get — I'm over 50 — the more of an issue it will be.

I think I will also try making them sit when other dogs pass, with their backs turned. That's a really good idea. I've been lax on training and they've been treading all over me with their big paws. Enough!

Thanks for your support.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 02:54:41 am »
I am going to try a gentle leader easy walk harness. I'm getting it tonight. My trainer recommended it for Kiah. She likes to pull. I do use a choke collar, but she'll choke herself on walks. What this harness does is when the dog pulls it will stop them and turn them around to you. This way you can give a command and redirect their attention. The leash is hooked in front on the breast bone. It may not work if the dog likes to chew on the leash. My mom uses the gentle leader that goes around the muzzle for her dog and works great. Kiah doesn't like anything around her mouth, so were trying the harness. Here's the website for more information. http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:16:41 am »
My dog Raven was a big puller.  I would put her into a sit and she would go right back to pulling.  I got the pinch collar.  Everyone thought I was mean.  But a regular choke collar did just that, it choked her.  The pinch collar works better on her because she has a really thick neck.  As soon as she feels the pinch and I give her the heel command she lets up.  It's worth a try.  I don't like the head leaders because I think they can cause a lot of neck problems.  Especially with puppies.  As for halters, I've used the halti brand and it works if your dog already knows the heel command.  But if your dog doesn't, IMHO it just makes the problem worse.

This is Raven.  See how thick her neck is?  And she lays down beautiful with the pinch collar and stays.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 03:18:08 am by lilysmom »
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 03:17:05 am »

Get prong collars.

I use them ALWAYS when I walk more than one dog as I am not a big person, and will NOT have myself in a situation where I cannot control my dogs.

They do not have to hurt the dogs, but they sure give you the power when you need it.

I get the SMALL kind, they work SO much better, but you will need to get extra links to make them fit.

ALWAYS use another collar WITH a prong collar, as they can come unsnapped without warning and then you have a leash with a dangling collar and a loose dog.

Other than this, they work GREAT, and won't cause any basal skull or neck injuries like head halters can on pulling dogs.

Combine this, of course, with TRAINING on how to walk on leash without pulling.

:D

I am so going to use your advice and get those prong collars Red. My 2 walk fine with the Halti's but I find that you can't train them with the halti. I find that you can't correct the undesired behavior, like you can with the prong collar.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 04:41:55 am »
Iv'e used prong collars for years, they come in different size prongs & I recently tried the plastic prong collar for Kiya, she's a lot smaller framed then my boys were. I love it & it is not as harsh & you get the same results. Apache doesn't even need a choke collar anymore just a regular buckle collar for him.
Carolyn
Carolyn