Author Topic: Stationary Bark Control by Petsafe  (Read 6033 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Stationary Bark Control by Petsafe
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:40:52 am »
I got these cool things this weekend and they work.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Stationary Bark Control by Petsafe
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 12:42:42 am »
Cool how does it work? Do you clip it on your dog, does it attach to the collar?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 12:55:11 am »
Cool how does it work? Do you clip it on your dog, does it attach to the collar?

Nina
You just put it on the table in the room the dogs are in and it works.
Thanks,

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:00:11 am »
Oh I think I'll have to invest in one of those! Where did you get it?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 01:14:18 am »
I got two at Petsmart, they were less than $30 each.  I got two because they told me each only works in that room which I found out is not true.  Rocco barked in the bedroom and that thing went to work.
Thanks,

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 01:18:31 am »
yah. how DOES this work? ultrasonic sounds emitted after the detector senses barks at 'abnormally' high levels?

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 01:57:51 am »
wow that sounds pretty rad. 

I looked at their webpage and it is an ultrasonic not in human range noise that activates when the microphone hears barking.

I only have one question.... if it stops shakespeare from barking at the mail man and the neighbor, does it also stop him from barking at an intruder?  Becasue if some scary robber comes in my house i want him to bark!!!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 02:50:40 am »
wow that sounds pretty rad. 

I looked at their webpage and it is an ultrasonic not in human range noise that activates when the microphone hears barking.

I only have one question.... if it stops shakespeare from barking at the mail man and the neighbor, does it also stop him from barking at an intruder?  Becasue if some scary robber comes in my house i want him to bark!!!!!

I would suggest to use the device in conjuction with training. Train him to bark at what you want him to bark at.  I am currently working at that too, but I think that I am going to invest in one of these devices.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 03:44:30 am »

I would suggest to use the device in conjuction with training. Train him to bark at what you want him to bark at. I am currently working at that too, but I think that I am going to invest in one of these devices.

Nina

What is your methode for training what to bark at and what not to bark at.....

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 04:33:28 am »
My guys still give the initial bark but don't follow it up with more barks.  I will not use the things once I'm in a house, just while in an apartment I do.  I have faith in my boy that if there was real danger he would bark through the punishment of the noise.  I just thought the whole idea was great, I was skeptical but they do work.  If you listen you can hear some noise but i think it is just the sound of the machine making the noise.
Thanks,

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 05:26:39 am »

I would suggest to use the device in conjuction with training. Train him to bark at what you want him to bark at. I am currently working at that too, but I think that I am going to invest in one of these devices.

Nina

What is your methode for training what to bark at and what not to bark at.....

Well I am having issues with that, well with one dod but no so much the other lol.
So for Harley the training is working out better, What I do is when she barks at something out side I go see what it is, and if is nothing I tell her quiet in a stern voice. If there is a knock on the door, she barks I go to the door and tell her good girl, pat her on the head and then tell to to relax. She is starting to know the difference. I want her to bark when some one is at the door.

But also I do think that there instinct will kick in, if there is danger, we once had someone try and come into our house while we were home and she stood in front of the door snarling and the person ran away.

I am having a harder time with Dilbert, but being a Pyr his pass time is barking LOL but I am starting to have some luck with him too.  ;D

Hope this helps

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 06:26:48 am »
that does help.  I too want shakes to bark a  couple times.... just not as much as he does.  He is very protective of our house, and that is good. 

The issue we run into is that he barks anytime someone approaches our porch.  We live in the back half of a duplex, and share a walkway with the neighbors that live in the back half of the duplex next door.  So he barks at them, and anyone visiting them, and as much as we socialize him to the neighbors, he still goes at it anytime they come and go.  I am sure it is getting a bit annoying for them. 

He was accidentally tested last week though.  We left the front door open accidentally while getting ready to go for a picnic in the park, and the mail man came.  He has to actually walk up onto the porch to put the mail in the mail box on our wall.  Well Shakes ran right over to the doorway, and Barked and barked.  I was worried the mailman would refuse to deliver mail again.  But Shakes was really good and never left the house, he jsut stood right at the doorway and Barked.  The mailman complimented us on how well trained he was, and we pretended that we had actually trained him to do that, when in reality he desided to be that disaplined all on his own!!! 

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 06:54:08 am »
I'll have to get one  or two of those. Dozer thinks he owns the whole neighborhood. Once he starts barking the rest will chime in , and with 6 furkids it can get kinda deafening
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla