Author Topic: I have to vent....sorry  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: I have to vent....sorry
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 11:22:06 pm »
Some kids are just plain stupid and need to be bitten in order to learn not to  run up and pet unfamiliar dogs.  That's just how some people learn, except the scumbag lawyers have made sure you will get your butt sued, even though it's their dumb fault.  What a country we live in!  But actually, most kids are pretty intimidated of Drake due to his size and most of the time are reluctant to run up to him.  Thank goodness for that, even though he would probably just drool all over them and lick them to death.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 11:26:32 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 11:23:58 pm »
Oh what horrible children!!  I just can't believe kids these days.  They don't respect others property and frankly I think most kids in america need a good butt whoopin'.

I, too live on a military base, but I've never been rushed by kids.  If kids come up to us, they have always asked to pet the dogs, and I always tell them to pet Keiko first b/c Gunther is afraid of children, especially large groups of kids, but he has gotten better. (at least he's not peeing when they pet him anymore).  I've never had kids in my immediate area want to pet the dogs, only kids in the adjacent housing areas.  I think the kids in my housing area think my dogs are mean, like most of the dogs here, which is fine w/me b/c I don't like getting bothered on our walks too much.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 01:43:06 am »
Daneinsane.... .............I LOVE your new avatar.  That is so cool looking!!

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 05:46:35 am »
Aww I'm so sorry that happened to you! I hate when that happens!
When we had Yaz, a foster dog, he wasn't socialized at all so I would take him on walks everyday after school. Well, one day a timed it badly and I went when all the kids were out. Yaz saw the group of kids and immediatly panicked, started backing away and didn't want to walk, so I took him halfway into the street away from the kids when they all started running up to us. I told them to stay away, that I don't know if he'll bite or not. So the little kids actually started to stick their hands by his mouth!! I was pissed, I just picked him up and walked away and those brats actually started throwing rocks at us! Well, the next day I talked to their moms and sisters and they got into a lot of trouble so I felt better.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 05:48:07 am »
I am glad those kids got in trouble.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 06:44:33 am »
It's just awful that kids don't know proper animal etiquette anymore. 

I would no more gone runinng up to a strange dog when I was a kid than I would have jumped off the school roof!

Of course, most kids don't have any OTHER manners either anymore, so where would they get any dog manners?  And far too many of them don't listen to their parents, so why would they listen to you?   :(

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 07:55:55 am »
Of course, most kids don't have any OTHER manners either anymore, so where would they get any dog manners?  And far too many of them don't listen to their parents, so why would they listen to you?

I totally agree, which is where my butt whoopin' would come into play.   ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 10:35:06 pm »
So what happened at the meeting last night, Melissa???
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 10:42:48 pm »
I handed out the sheets that you emailed me.  I told everyone a little of what happened with my two dogs.  No one seemed too concerned.  I asked if I would be able to give a class using Lily and I was told that because I'm not licensed and don't have insurance protecting me against a possible dog bite, that I can't hold the class.  So I'm trying to see if I can get someone from the humane society to do it.  But there is so much red tape I have to get through.  Supposedly the humane society has no jurisdictin over our military base so we have to get special permission from the Garrison Commander.  I'm working on it though.  He's a good friend of my husband so I'll talk to him and see what he says.  I'll keep you informed by private email when I know more.  Thanks again for your help Jeanne. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 10:47:26 pm »
I handed out the sheets that you emailed me.  I told everyone a little of what happened with my two dogs.  No one seemed too concerned. 

Huh? I bet they would have been VERY concerned if one of the little demons acutally HAD been bit! And, of course, if would have been your fault, not the kid's!

Check and see if there is anyone in the area who has passed the Delta Society therapy dog certification. The local Humane Society may have members that have done this, Delta should be able to give you a reference in your area, too or call the local nursing homes and hospitals and see if they have anyone who comes there for visits with their dogs. They are likely licensed through Delta or someone else. Delta gives each licensed team $1,000,000 liability insurance policy when they pass.

Keep trying. You could really make a difference to these kids. If they start respecting animals now, they become their champions in the future!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 10:49:35 pm »
I know how important it is now thanks to you.  I'll check with the HS to see if anyone has this certification.  Thank you. :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 02:52:20 am »
Do you have a humane society on base?  Would they have jurisdiction?

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 04:32:20 am »
Unfortunately we don't.  But Jeanne helped me find the website where I can get me and Lily certified to do therapy work.  Which includes doing a class for the kids at school, nursing home visits, hospital visits, etc....   So I signed up to do the course.  It's only 5 steps so I should get it done in no time at all.   :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 08:16:05 am »
Is it with the Delta Society?  I've been flip flopping back and forth between them and Therapy Dogs International as to which one I want to go with.  After we move I want to get Keiko certified for therapy work.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 08:32:29 am »
yes it is with the Delta society.  I can't wait to get started.   Where are you moving to?