Author Topic: How did your Big Paw get his/her name?  (Read 26022 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: How did your Big Paw get his/her name?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2006, 09:17:30 am »
How did Teddy get his name?

Come'on.........loo k at him?  Need I say more? ;D
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2006, 09:26:15 am »
 ::)  Bryce a english mastiff brindle was Buddy for a little while it just was'nt fitting for him. Freya is a shiloh shepherd and her name is spring goddess in nor's , Milo is a american staffordshire terrier he is named after a warrior that carried a bull on his shoulders for miles and the name is very fitting . I have a dalmation that is named Luna and we all know what that means!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2006, 09:29:04 am »
Ok I'll add in my crew

The Puppers:
Kalamity: well it was narrowed down to Keira, Kalamity, and Grace.  But Kalamity fit her the best and had the best nickname of Kali...it was my creation to spell with a K.

Lacey: My sister named her that because of her merle coat.

The Kitties
Tick: Named by the everyone at the vet clinic my mom works at.  She has a little head and a huge body so everyone said she looked like a tick and it stuck....I liked Matilda...but I lost out.

Hannah:  Named by my sister as well...I think it was a movie character at the time

The Horses
Gabriella:  Named so for the German origin and she was a very gabby baby.

Wishful Thinking:  Well you get the idea from the name.  Her barn name is Penney....beca use she is the exact color of a new penny in the sun.

I'll upload pics later of everyone.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2006, 09:39:37 am »
wow, neat thread... :) sorry i missed it way back when
Anyway...
Our dane, zeussy boy (RIP). was named zeus, as many many dogs are... But, he was special, his breeder nicknamed him ZuZu, thats kinda wussy i though, so i called him Zeus-Caboose, he followed me everywhere... but zeus DID suit him. very regal very loyal. and very hansome.
Memphis, our 2.5year old fawn dane, was actually named after a cat darcy met at the vet clinic he worked at, at the time. I didnt care for it at the time, i wanted to name him Cash or Riot... But then i watched Gone in 60 seconds, YES a little late to be watching it ha ha ha, and i realized Nicolas cage's character was Memphis... so thats how Mem got his name...
Zero, my brindle & White bull terrier... was supposed to be a white... but the whites were spoken for, and i fell in love with his lip marking... and had to have him! But, i am a HUGE tim burton fan, and well, Zero comes from Nightmare before christmas, Jacks little Ghost Dog... Unfortunately, zeros not white, like jacks dog, but i love him just as much as i would if he was a white!
Tribute, our new bullie female, came with that name. if i could change it, i would. LOL but shes not even english so its hard enough to get her to understand us...

My OTHER pets:
Iguana-Cloud: Final fantasy 7's main character... I always wanted to name my son Cloud, at the time i think i was uhmmm 16? And my mom named my Iguana cloud, thinking i wouldnt name my son Cloud ha ha ha. Nobody thinks its a good name for a person. PFFT ;)
Green Basilisk- Lil' Guy: Hes little, and hes a guy... ha ha i actually named him T-rex. but its kinda a stupid name. who calls out "Hey there t-rex, hows ya doin today? are ya hungry" Well of course he is hes a t-rex LOL jk
Costa Rican Zebra tarantula-Webley: Doesnt spin webs, needed a good name for her- remember that cartoon BOBBY'S WORLD? he had a stuffed spider toy named Webley ;)
Cats:
Simba- we got him about 11 years ago now... He looked just like simba, in the lion king, at the VERY beging of the movie, u know, when Rafiki sprinkles dust on his head?
Sabbath- hes a black cat... Black Sabbath (OZZY RULES, oh yah)
BobCat (RIP). she was our first manx cat... resembled a bobcat when we got her...
Kimahri- Final Fantasy 10... the Cat dude, i dont know what he is... but kimahri looked like him... well, his markings
Lil' Meow- Our new calico manx... she used to MEOW all the time. we called her Mimic, because if u'd MEOW, she'd Meow right back... we eventually called her Lil Meow, because she meows so little and quite...

I think thats all. other than my fish, but, my fish are lame names... Damsel Fish = Damsel... Foxface Lo= Foxface... Clownfish= Marlin (i know i know... Everyone called him nemo... i had to be different. hes named from nemos dad)
Jo
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2006, 09:51:20 am »
Fun stories, everybody!!

Our first Newf, a Landseer named Otis, was named for Otis Redding..."Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" and it suited him perfectly!  It amazed me when people would ask if he was named for the elevator company?!!?

Lucille...she reveals the dubious side of my character.  The breeder we got Otis from called me and said he a had a female Landseer who wasn't spoken for and I had 5 minutes to decided if I needed to add a girl.  Didn't take that long ;D. DH was dead set against having too many dogs but I convinced him that we were pregnant with a female Newf and she would be named for his restaurant.  He succumbed.  Cowboy came with his name...

Chester is named for the town closest to our cabin in Northern California.  It's a funny, tiny town that has a biker bar called the Plumus Club.  How can you NOT love a town like that???

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2006, 10:04:24 am »
This is a fun thread!  I enjoy reading all the name stories.  I have to start at the beginning for ours.  The first male Lab my DH chose the name since it was his dog.  Big, black hunting dog, he chose the name Brant (Sarah's Storming Brant) for the goose.  Sarah was his mom's name.

When I got my chocolate Lab, I stuck with bird names and called her Jaeger (Kresland's Sea Squall Jaeger).  Kresland was the kennel name of her breeder. 

We were originally going to call Piper "Petrel" but my SIL thought that sounded like gas so I challenged her to come up with something better.  She said Piper, short for Sandpiper (yellow lab) which we loved so being Brant's daughter she became Stormtossed Sandpiper, Piper for short. 

Josh was the 4th Josh owned by a man who eventually became one of our dearest friends.  All were huge powerhouse yellow hunting Labs.  He is Josh of Kashong IV.  Kashong was where he lived.  Interesting, we co-owned a female and bred her to the son of the original Josh of Kashong.  It's a small world.  Anyway, when our friend was dying of cancer, we promised him we'd take Josh and Jesse back when he died. 

Jesse went with Josh and the owner was trying to figure a name that would go well with Josh.  His wife had not spoken to him for 3 days after bringing home the two pups but I guess she must have gotten over it because she suggested they name Jesse after her grandfather.

Thor was named by the rescue group that we got him from and I never could come up with anything better so we left it as Thor.  I always called him "Woo" since all night long he would say "woo, woo, woo."

Eider is actually Franklin Hills Classified but the breeder called him Dion.  We could NOT see calling a black male dog Dion so we went back to the bird books for help.  DH constantly teases me that he wants to call a dog Booby.  I vetoed that.  Process of elimination we finally ended up with one we could both live with and now he is Eider.

One truly fittingly named animal we had was a cat.  I'm allergic to cats so we could never have one in the house but we used to get a lot of strays that we'd feed for a while, then they'd get hit by cars.  We just never bothered to name them.  So finally we had one cat that stuck around for a year, we decided we might as well get shots and what not so we took it to the vet and they wanted a name.  Well, the only name we had was "cat."  Anything else?  Well, I suppose cat is just his last name since we usually call him That Darn Cat.   ::)

I won't torture you with all the cow's names except my milk cow who was Carnation (Instant Milk). 
Daphne

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2006, 10:23:32 am »
Well spotakiss got his name from what else his spot on his left cheek.I sorta played on sparticus and came up with Spotakiss.It works well considering you can spot a kiss after he leaves ya.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2006, 10:32:24 am »
Oooh! Fun!

Sadie got her name because she chose me. Her kennel name is Sadie Hawkins Ladies Choice. She was the only puppy who when I put her down after holding her, she tried to jump right out of the whelping box and cried for me to pick her back up. Plus she just kind of looks like a Sadie I think. I sing "Sadie, Sadie, Married Lady" from Funny Girl to her when I'm feeling fanciful ;)

Gus-Gus was a stray and when I found him he was flea ridden, skin and bones, worms, ticks, you name it. T.S.Elliot wrote a series of poems about Cats (the musical CATS is based on them) and I'm a theatre girl. In the poems, Gus was the cat at theatre door and he was sort of grizzled and shabby. It was perfect for him. Then when he got healthier and turned into a fat b@stard, I started calling him Gus-Gus after the chubby little mouse from Cinderella.

Maggie was named from Tennesee Williams "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". The lead character in the play is Margaret who calls herself Maggie the Cat. She's evil and manipulative but vulnerable and sort of likeable at the same time. The first time I picked up Miss Maggie she hissed right in my face and I said "Ok, you're Maggie the Cat". I had also just played the role a month before I got her. She's not a hisser anymore, she's actually a doll - the cuddliest, most talkative cat I've ever met (besides Gus) but she is quite a prissy little girl so I think her name still suits her.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2006, 10:58:54 am »
I like hearing all the names.  So here is how my dogs got their names. 

Marty - (Boston Terrier) was named after Marty Feldman but she is also known as Muerte.  Especially fitting since she has started 2 dog fights and nearly died both times.

Cinder - It was the first name that she responded to when we picked her up.  We had been coming up with names on the drive back home and we stopped off at a friends house to show her off.  I said Cinder and she immediately came to me.  So the name stayed.

Kaila - I couldn't come up with a name that fit her for a week or so but I knew I wanted to stay in the fire reference catagory since she is a full sister to Cinder.  So I found an aboriginal name meaning fire and changed the spelling up a little bit. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2006, 10:59:28 am »
Holly got her name because her previous name was olive which

1. I really didn't like
2. It didn't fit her at all!
3. We eat a large amount of olives esp during the holidays and the poor girl would get confused everytime we talked about one of our fav foods.

We chose Holly because it sounded like her previos name and would be less confusing.  It's not easy finding a name similar to olive in a hurry.  Someone asked me if I got her at xmas because of it though.  ::)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2006, 11:18:57 am »
What can I say?

Foster mom gave him the moniker and it just seemed to fit.  Plus, the longer I know him, the more I realize how smart he is.
Sarah

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2006, 11:21:24 am »
Lets see....

I rescued Blu from The ATL Humane Society when he was 4... he knew his name so I kept it. But, I dropped the e from Blue so he wouldn't have any babd memories from his life before me.  :)

Ellie was 8 weeks old when I got her.... her name was chosen after a brain-storm session with some friends.

Riley was 6 when we rescued him.... he also knows his name, so we kept it. But I've knick named him "Donkey" (Donks for short) which is what I call him most of the time.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 12:43:26 pm by EllieAndBlu »

angelsmama

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2006, 11:55:21 am »
Angel - i named her before she was even mine :P the girl who had her before when angel was a clumsy 8 week old puppy couldn't think of a name, i asked her if she liked aerosmith she said she loves them so i  said to name her angel after their song.. and it does fit shes a perfect angel ;D

Bruiser - cause when he was a puppy he looked like a giant bruise lol, and he was scared of everything so a big tough name was funny for a tiny ball of fluff that was scared of his own shadow

Chewie - when he was a puppy he yawned and sounded like chewbacca from star wars  :D

Now for my cat..

Annie - she was orphaned at the age of 1 1/2 weeks , i bottle raised her.. shes my little orphan annie  :)

My snake

Hydra - i LOVE greek mythology and Hydra means the water serpent, and hydra loves swimming so it fit him

My beautiful baby at the rainbow bridge

Dotty - i was 8, she was a dalmatian lol dotty was 1st thing out of my mouth

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2006, 12:05:17 pm »
Boo's full name is "Riley's Ghost Said Boo".  The first time I saw her she just looked like a Boo.  And after I found out that she was deaf, I thought it was even more fitting.  I also liked the name Ghost but couldn't decide between the two.  The Riley part comes from my daughter's last name.  Besides, Boo is pretty easy do in sign language!

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2006, 12:16:19 pm »
we're lame.. so both of our dogs kept their names from previous owners....