Author Topic: growth question.  (Read 2588 times)

Offline felicity

• Gnawer
  • Anassa my sweet girl.
    • View Profile
    • Pastel Pet Portraits
growth question.
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:15:26 am »
when we first brought anassa sui she was small but not really tiny like most pups, what stood out most was her huge floppy ears and massive paws that dominated her body  ;D she weighed 5.9 kg when we first brough her home.

the man we brought her off said her parents were purebred, breeding dogs, a irish wolfhound and an english pointer, they accidently got together and anassa happened  :-[ for which i'm very glad :)

she grew pretty slow , she'd get taller then fill out then get taller then fill out again, then after her first (and only) heat she filled out a lot more, everyone says she's huge and she is tall, her legs are very long and her paws wrap around my shoulders when she stands up, the thing is, she's still quiet lean and when on the beach she sprints like a greyhound, iv'e never seen a dog run so fast, her back legs lower to the ground and her ears go back and you have no chance of catching her.

she's over nine months old now and what i'd like to know is, will she fill out more? and will she get taller, i'm not too sure what age dogs stop growing lol

here are some photo's of her as a pup, around two months -

i'm sure you can see why i fell in love with her  ;D

and here she is now, the dog in nearly every photo with her is her best friend max, a lab cross rottweiler, they have been friends since we brought her home, mostly everything she learned she learned from him, sometimes that's a good thing lol

thanks

felicity

GR8DAME

Re: growth question.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:43:35 am »
The giant breeds, like IW, danes and such do continue to grow and fill out until they are about two years old. If she favors the IW in body build, she may stay long-legged and lean, you just can see it better because of her short coat. For comparison, here is Strider, my IW/dane puppy, he is right about 10 months old.
The second picture is Merlin, my full blooded dane at four years old.
I don't think Strider will ever be as bulky as Merlin, but I think he will probably be just as tall.
Stella

Offline felicity

• Gnawer
  • Anassa my sweet girl.
    • View Profile
    • Pastel Pet Portraits
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 02:17:56 pm »
wow, strider has a very unique and beautiful colored coat and i see what you mean about size  :D

i'm happy with her height although i won't care if she gets taller, it would be nice if she'd bulk out a little but she is still only pretty young.

i love her heaps either way, she's like a shadow and follows me everywhere. she looks to me very much like a pointer but not as stocky and i'm certain she's taller, iv'e never met a pure pointer so i wouldn't really know.

she does point though, at one of my cats pandy, a tiny little tabby, their good friends though and even bathe each other so i know it's all in fun, she especially likes to point birds and will just stand there for ages, i'm like 'okay nass, we can leave now'  ;D the funny thing is she will also point when max tries to steal her food, she positions herself in the middle of both bowls and everytime her tries to get to one she will face him, point and growl lol

thanks for your help

felicity

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 05:40:46 am »
Anassa is beautiful! I can't wait to see more pictures of her.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)