Author Topic: Samson & Pippin & someone elses sheep?  (Read 9085 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Samson & Pippin & someone elses sheep?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 08:50:34 pm »
I bet Sammy & Pippin would be great at it.  Now if you do it you have to take photos. 

Lisa

1 sheep, 2 sheep, 3 sheep, 4

no no

1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, floor

nighty night
lol Peggy!!...I'm not offended...I just wanted to make sure you knew that the sheep idea wasn't something I was jumping into without proper guidance & research. :) I probably won't even have the guts to go ask the person who owns the sheep but a girl can dream...lol! :)
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Anakalia

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 09:51:42 pm »
This thread made me think of a question..... Chelle, do the Pyr's have to be trained to do something like that or is it instinct?  It would totally amaze me if they got out there without being trained and start doing exactly what they're supposed to do! :o  I also think getting some goats or some kind of livestock would be a great idea!! ;D

Andi

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 10:19:58 pm »
In an insane moment I bought 3 sheep specifically for my Pyrs.  Now mind you these were multigeneratio n show dogs never before exposed to livestock of any kind.  We put the lambs in a pen next to the dog yard and the dogs went NUTS  They had to go meet the sheep IMMEDIATELY  And that was their training.  They went on to guard the sheep just like they were raised to it, slept with them, took care of the lambs and so on. Rather amazing - they knew instantly what to do.   I have found that you do have to watch that the Pyr puppies don't chase the sheep- easy to correct if caught in the beginning.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 02:41:22 am »
My best friend's husband inherited 5 year old Pyr a few years ago when an of his uncle died.  There are sheep in a field behind their house.   It wasn't three hours from the time hearrived until Mask, who had lived in a yard in Des Moines his whole life, snuck out thru the garage, dug under the barbed wire fence, and took up guarding the sheep.  The farmer was a little aggravated to have his sheep guarded from HIM at first, but it didn't take long to figure out a time share solution that suited Mask admirably. 

Now have to say something else: I love me some sheepies, but this:

First of all sheep do not smell.

is a big fat lie.  I grew up around sheepies, and if you can't smell them, you should have your nose checked.  ;)   I have spent many a day and night on a sheep farm, helping out during the shear, feeding orphans in the mudroom, helping run them thru the dip, and I'm telling you, a undamaged nose can smell sheepies at least a block away.

That said, I have never loved a goat yet.  Probably because all the ones I've encountered are far, far too stinky to snuggle.  I hope mini-goats come with mini-stench!
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 04:41:05 am »
This thread made me think of a question..... Chelle, do the Pyr's have to be trained to do something like that or is it instinct?  It would totally amaze me if they got out there without being trained and start doing exactly what they're supposed to do! :o  I also think getting some goats or some kind of livestock would be a great idea!! ;D

Andi
It is instinct for them to gaurd livestock but with dogs that have never been with livestock there has to be supervision to make sure they are not chasing the livestock...Pi ppin was actually in with goats & his working Pyr family for almost 5 months before I got him...Samson was also from working LGD's...Though he never got to go out with the sheep, he did see them in the barn...His father is now at The Bridge but his mother is still out gaurding sheep.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 09:42:31 am »
Actually it is the male goats that stink - and they think they smell wonderful - if you neuter the males they will have no odor

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 11:07:30 am »
Earlier today I got up enough nerve to go knock at the door of the person who owns the sheep...Nobody was home...Maybe I'll try again another day....I just have to...Poor Pippin has been reduced to gaurding my bunnies when I take them out into the yard. :D

Anakalia

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 11:43:00 am »
I find this all fascinating too!!  To think they do most of this stuff out of pure instinct is amazing!!  Keep us updated Chelle, I hope you can get ahold of the neighbors to at least ask!  This is kind of exciting!!

Andi