Author Topic: would like some info  (Read 13341 times)

ann

would like some info
« on: April 28, 2005, 06:41:27 pm »

i've been considering a bullmastiff for my next dog,it would'nt be for awhile but i'd like to start my search for a good breeder now...i have 3 dogs now 2 boxers and a akita-x my akita is 9 years old, i hate to but i've been thinking of the future and i think a bullmastiff would fit in my life after he's gone to the bridge..so i would like to now all the positive and negative about the breed......tha nks so much

ann

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: would like some info
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:58:13 pm »
Hi Ann, I have only one Bullmastiff for the moment, my latest male went to the rainbow bridge may last year. I totally love the breed, but there are blood lines with individuals who can be a bit on the "sharp" side, a little over protective. My boy who passed away last year was one of them, he was the most darling dog in the family, but he was way too over protective, I have done obedience competition with German Shephards before, so I figured I was pretty well equipped to deal with it, but it was a struggel.We loved him more than anything, but he was the kind of dog you always always had to watch with other people, the slightest move he thought was a threat to us, he was ready to protect.

Having said that, I think a Bullmastiff is a wonderful breed, the female we have now is not at all as protective, she is easy going and very very lovable, loves everyone and everything. The advice I would give you is to research very much, visit AKC's website and click on "dogowners to be" or whatever it says, there you go to "breed referal" find Bullmastiff and contact the person who is the breed referal contact. They should be able to give you a list of breeders, who follow all the ethical rules and regulations and keep up with all the health cert's. I would first see about the breeders fairly close to you, so you can go visit, see if it is how you want a breeder to be, how they have their dogs, how many litters a year, do they keep any of the offsprings. Are they working them, showing them. Ask all the questions you can come up with, write them down, so you dont forget anything. Meet as many dogs as you can from the breeder and the bloodlines they are using, ask for referenses. Once you have your puppy, make very sure you take it out as much as possible, meet people, new places and odd things.

If you have any more questions, I will be more than happy to try and answer them. either here on the board or in personal messages or email me.

I hope this was a little help, and dont let all this scare you off, they are wonderful dogs and I wouldnt want to be without them, so I am glad you are planning ahead and have plenty of time to find the very right breeder.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

ann

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 05:11:11 pm »

thank you ,i have been thinking about this for awhile and i did go to a dog show last month and made some contacts and your right i do need to be careful about a breeder ,i have a akita-x right now who sounds alot like your boy was..i love him so much but i have to watch everything around him and i realy don't wanna go through that again...
the thing that i was so attracted to about the bulls is thier face so sweet lookin alot like my boxers but alot bigger....
your dog is so good lookin..want one even more now
ann

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 11:12:11 pm »
I know what you mean, you love them soo soo much, but it is hard when you have to watch them constantly, it takes away from both them and you. My bully boy was a sweetheart and I could not have loved him more, but he was not an easy dog to have due to what we just said. The puppy on the pic. is my Old English Mastiff baby, he is 10 weeks on the pic. they look a lot like the bullmastiffs, not quite as short faces though, and a lot larger. I used to have Danes years ago, I would say that the OEM is more like a dane in its disposition, more easy going and laid back. The bullmastiff is a little bit more hmmmm I dont mean "sharp" but just not quite that easy going. If you like the Bullmastiffs, you may even want to look into the OEM's depending on how big of a dog you would want. Galahad, the boy on the pic, is just too cool, he came from MN, we live in NC so he flew in here, we picked him up at the airport, when we opened his crate, his tail was wagging like crazy, we took him out to go potty, airplanes flew over his head, big tractor trailers drove by and he just couldnt care less. When he is playing and falls over his big feet, he just lays there, cant be bothered to get up straight away, he is down anyway lol.... So I am a big fan of the OEM, but of course also the bullies, I love my Hera to death, she is super sweet and not at all any of the issues Hercules had.

Even with OEM, reserach a lot.

Marit

ann

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 01:25:15 pm »

i sell pet supplies in a feed store and i have a few customers who have english mastifs and i like them alot but i prefer the size of the bulls and who knows i might change my mind and go with the english...eith er way they are both owesome dogs....

ann

Offline bullymom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 06:48:47 am »
I have a 1 and a half year old Bullmastiff girl who is a sweetheart! They are very laid back, quiet and easy to live with. She likes all people and other dogs. But she is definitely the alpha dog. She has a Staffordshire Bull Terrier brother (un-neutered show dog) who is 6 months older than her and she rules the roost. He doesn't dare come near her when she has something and she will run him off and take what he has a lot of times. And if she is laying in the hallway he will bark at me to help him pass through . But they play all the time, never any serious fights. She loves him very much but she has to be the dominant one. Love her face and she is the most huggable dog I have ever had! But definitely socialize,socialize, socialize!  Mine loves going to obedience classes and Petco and out for walks. Oh, and you have to not mind a little drooling sometimes, especially when you are eating.

Offline krismasbaby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 09:45:42 pm »
hi I dont know if you got your bullmastiff yet? I am a first time owner of a female bullmastiff. I got her when she was 4months old she is now 14months old  she is from Badapest Hungray she is the best dog i have ever had and i have had many. The best part of this dog is she is so smart she listens well and is great with the kids ours and my kids friends and this is due to her being treated good at home by them. She does try to be the boss but has found out that she is only big not the boss. if you do get one get your self some hand towels just for her you will need them thy like to dreul alot after meals, water or just out having fun if you can get past that you have it made. my female is a good judge of people she will stay with the ones i feel she dont like she kinda lets them know she is there but does it nicely. o ya you should get your self some kinda noise clips boy she can smell up a room when she passes gas it is some times caused by what thay eat try not to over feed them thy will get big on there own i feed her Natural Choice Large Breed Lamp Meal & Rice now adult it comes in the puppies to. Well good luck and feel feer to keep in touch I hope you have a great dog like I do I have been looking for her for 3 years till I got the one i wanted she is a sliver fawn with all the right markings for breeding and showing that i have not tried well good luck. Virginia and ( VEGA ) means falling star in Hungray  have fun and make her or him part of the family thy are the best.

ann

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 10:42:09 am »

hi ,no i did not get a bullmastiff yet i still would like to get one but for now i have to pass on a new dog ..i have been leaning the way of a shelter dog or a rescue when i am ready who knows maybe i'll get a bullmastiff and a shelter dog.......

ann

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 12:08:45 pm »
Or you could make the shelter dog a bullmastiff  ;) There are rescue groups out there that work with mastiffs along or groups that work with giant breeds, I am sure you could find a wonderful dog at a place like that. You get your Bullmastiff and at the same time you get to rescue a dog in need.

Marit

ann

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 12:36:19 pm »

thats funny you say that i was just on petfinder and took a peek at bullmastiffs ,we do not have a rescue in our area i know alot of rescue wont adopt out of state but i'm gonna keep looking and i'm sure when i'm ready for one i'll find him...........

ann

Offline diezel22

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 07:15:13 am »
I have had bull mastiffs all  of my life and as an experienced owner, bull mastiffs usually do not get along with other breeds other than their own.  They are great, loving animals with an extremely stubborn tempermant and without the proper training you will have a big problem on your hands if they are not trained properly.  In fact, i tried to bring another dog into the house and my bull mastiff was not happy about it.  If you really want a mastiff i suggest if anything getting a female - they are less stubborn and more likely to adapt to other animals

ann

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 12:37:29 pm »
 thanks for the advice..i have heard people say they never had a problem with thier bully and differant breeds and some have..i would not get one until god forbid my akitax is gone and my boxers are very good with other dogs ,so do ya think a puppy who grows up with other dogs would become agresive later on or would it depend on the dog its self...i do train all my dogs in classes and on my own and dakota my akita-x has been a challange but he has done very well.......... .....

ann

Offline Jenn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 03:58:34 pm »
We have 2 Bullmastiffs in our family. Below is my 2 year old male Talon. Talon is a very nice,calm and loving dog. He exceled at obedience though he is a bit slow at the exersizes. He loves puppies and does not mind other dogs though at the dog park he tend to hang around by himself (he likes the pond). He is totally non aggressive and so mellow that he is now a therapy dog. He's  really nice guy BUT we have been told that he is different from most Bullmastiffs by his breeder and our obedience class trainer.
Now my mom has a Bullmastiff female, Celia,that is COMPLETELY different from Talon. She is 1.5 years and is on the same training path as Talon so there is little difference in their exposure to other dogs and training. She is VERY dog aggressive. She has attacked Talon and our 8 month old puppy several times requiring many visits to the emergency room for the males. She CANNOT be in the same area as the males as she will attack them. At obedience class mom must be VERY careful that she does not get close to another dog as she WILL attack the other dog. She is super hyper and jumps all around. She also barks alot with no reason and eats up the yard and fence.
I just want you to know that you cannot guarantee what you will end up with when your puppy is full grown. Please send me an e-mail and we can talk about this a little more. It's important that you do not end up with a Celia as you will not ever be able to take her out.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 06:29:51 pm »
All states have  a breed club for whatever breed.  I would suggest contacting the Bullmastiff breed club in your state.  Usually they have a link for rescues, but if it doesn't contact the chairman and they can help you out.  Many times purebred rescue dogs are held by breeders and lovers of the breed and only get adopted by word of mouth.  It's something to try anyways!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."