Author Topic: nipping at feet and pullin on clothes  (Read 3802 times)

Offline lindar5928

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
nipping at feet and pullin on clothes
« on: October 19, 2005, 08:47:30 am »
Barney (3 month old St Bernard) is constantly nipping at feet and pulling on clothes. Have tried AH, yelping at pain, standing still (not easy when it hurts) substituting chew toys (if one is near) more play time etc. Help!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: nipping at feet and pullin on clothes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:05:53 am »
Is he doing it to get your attention? If so, don't give him attention. you can redirect his attentio with an appropriate chew toy, but dont give him any other attention. he has to learn that nipping is not the correct way to get your attention.

Also, one thing that I was taught to prevent nips is this: when the pup nips at you, pinch his lip. It won't really hurt him, but it will be uncomfortable. in time, he will associate the pinching with the biting and think 'when i nip, my lip hurts' and he will learn that nipping hurts
RIP former BPO

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:45:40 am »
Zion was the worst at doing that when he was younger, tried everything and sorry I have no good ideas for getting your dog to stop, good news is that he out grew it!!

Lisa

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:36:52 am »
Maggie Did that,we used Bitter Apple,it work's than i just started using spray,water in a batle so spray her, when she does,these,thing's she will get the hint!! my Molly we have know she is 4mo,funny thing she is a Saint,also But is very Calm,no Biting,at all!!just Kisses!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:41:22 pm »
Hi I am new here but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.We had the same problem with our Saint Bubba...he was chewing on my 4 yr old son and we tried everything...a nd I mean everything! Last resort was bitter apple it took about 4 days but it worked great!!! The first time we tried it we sprayed it all over the poor kids clothes and let him into contact with the dog that did not work so we tried a direct shot in the dogs mouth and he did not like that!!! 4 days later no more chewing...yeah!
Heather&Bubba

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 09:40:36 pm »
My Saint is named Bubba also.  lol

As for the clothes chewing and nipping I used to carry around treats and toys.. when Bubba grabbed my leg I'd wave a toy around and distract him. When he took the toy I told him 'good boy' and gave him a treat. It didn't completely stop the behaviour.. but he did quit on his own about 2-3 weeks later.

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 09:22:45 am »
Hello there I want to tell u what i think,!! He could still be Hungrey!! What are u Feeding this Barney? when we first got maggie she was like that too, she was still hungury!!!chop hamburer meat cook good mix in her food and a little rice,he could be under weight!so she is looking for that,and find a good Bone do u take him out for walk and to visit peaple these dogs need to be to be around a lot of Good Company!!!!! please email me let me know the what food please don't say Ia'ms!!! He needs Food Three times a day! one good one is we use is Eagle pake,we try to stick with chicken in food and beef ,and lots sup and vit ,molly is 5 mo is never bite just lickes like nut's !! and weighs 75 pounds know maggie is a sweaty to and she is 11 mo 120 did a lot of puppy biting she was hugery i did know it so i wish i did like i said these are large Breed for most part!! molly will be over 200 they too eat!! if they are Hugery they will Bite u!!!Try it and see when Im Hungery or anyone they can't tell u as they grow they eatmore too!!! hope i helped molly&Maggie!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 10:30:36 am »
The old adage is: if the dog is doing a positive behavior, they can't be doing a negative one.
(Teach positive alternative)
The other rule of thumb is only give attention to the positive things...do not say anything in reaction to bad behaviors, but leave the dog alone immediately... remove the reward to the dog (attention of people).

So if everyone tells the dog at greeting to "sit" and he gets smile and verbal praise paired with high value treat, he will learn that "sit" gets praise and attention....beforehe chews, chases or tears pants.
The suggestions to get him to play with toys before he engages in bad behavior are good ones, also (Distract).

If when you release him ("Free") he then chews chases, you can turn away/walk away...go indoors, remove yourself from access to dog> lesson: attention for one behavior>no attention for another.

This behavior may get better with time, but training the above will have longterm pay off.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 10:32:11 am by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas