Author Topic: toxic stuff  (Read 10784 times)

Rufiesmom

toxic stuff
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:12:47 pm »
I read a list of toxic things for dogs on the ASPCA site and was shocked to see avacados on the list.  I have fed them to my dogs with no bad side effects that I know of (knock on wood!!).  Its amazing how stupid we humans can be.  Maybe it's just me?!
 Check it out at www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vettech_1103.pdf?docID=2082

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: toxic stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 02:56:17 pm »
That happened to me with grapes, I was very glad my guy didn't like them anyway.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 07:01:58 pm »
Ty for the heads up!...I didn't know that but I knew grapes & raisens are toxic to dogs..1 to 2 per pound of body weight can cause kidney failure & death.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:08:36 pm »
Thank you, I have seen lists like this before, not this one though, it is scary how much things are toxic to them, even things you would never guess, Not saying that having a giant dog will make it easier,but maybe just maybe if we have made a bobo and given something they were not supposed to have, the amount of it may not be all that much concidering how much they weigh,  but I will for sure go though the list and other lists aswell,and educate myself a whole lot better.

Thanks again

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline pyrmom420

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 01:04:11 am »
I am surprised that garlic and garlic powder are on the list. Our trainer had suggested garlic powder mixed with cheerios as a treat ??? Even my doggy cookbooks use garlic or garlic powder as an ingredient in many of the receipes. The same trainer did tell us that onions were very deadly. Well, we have tried to be mor careful with what we feed Gandalf.

Thanks for the information. I have saved it for future reference.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 07:22:59 am »
WHAT??  ALCOHOL BEVERAGES????  Looks like Leo's gonna be on the wagon from now on.  Now I know why he sleeps so much.  Okay, I'm kidding of course...  But fatty foods is gonna send me to the dog police.  Leo needs them just to keep his weight on.  Am I alone here?  Didn't think so. 

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 09:20:47 am »
WOW - good to know - I am also guilty of giving my dogs avacados! I never figured a little guacomole could hurt anyone!!!!! Ole'!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 10:17:35 am »
I have given my Finn raisins mixed with peanut butter as a treat many times, and my 2 girls are forever getting inot the trash to get coffee grounds or tea bags. I'll look into this more. I have seen lists of No No foods but never this one.... I'll see what I can find.

Vicki

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 11:26:18 am »
Well after much searching here is what I've come up with.... everything is bad and everything is good depending on where you look!!
One said never tomato, another said they're great fro dogs. Here are some other foods that I found that were listed as very bad or even poison on some sites, and suggesting feeding on others:
Peanutbutter
raisins
potatos
spinach
chard
cabbage
 broccoli
cauliflower
 bok choy
 kale
peppers
pumkin seeds
GARLIC- praised all over by some and others put it in the onion catagory and said never feed it.

Onion was about the only thing that everyone agreed was bad.
I think the best thing to do is feed things in moderation and keep an eye out for how your dog reacts to something.

Vicki

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 12:05:31 pm »
I agree, they have to have treats!!  I'm a bit of a health food nut for myself, so I am for my babies too. I don't eat cookies or chips so my dogs don't get stuff like that either (except Oreos. I LOVE Oreos!)
So for treats they get Peanutbutter, apples, carots, cheese or bits of meat. i will give them left over dinner if it's something without a lot of spices and it always goes into their dish (they know they can only eat food from their dish so they don't learn to steal food from plates) Sometimes I want to give them a treat from my hand, so I make them do a trick first, like sit or roll over so they don't learn to steal food from hands of people who are eating. They do not beg for food, but once or twice Sakwa has come to me and rolled over when I was eating something she wanted to "earn" a treat from!!

Vicki

nickerbokker

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 12:08:41 pm »
LMAO...my dogs do the same thing...

i will be eating...and they will sit there going through all of their "tricks".

they will sit, then down, then roll over, the sit again, then roll over again.....i just laugh, and then throw food at them and try to hit them between the eyes.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 12:10:41 pm »
LOL!!!!!   I always said I wanted to come back as a dog or cat in my next life, so if you end up with me in dog form, please do not throw food at my face.... please??!!!!

LOL!!

Vicki

nickerbokker

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 12:12:09 pm »
okay i promise....

BUT....if you come back as a cat...and god forbid i wind up with you.....i will grab your tail and swing you around in the air by it!!!!

yeehawww :D

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 12:18:42 pm »
I'll be "Vicki, the amazing puking cat!!"  LOL

nickerbokker

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 12:19:04 pm »
LMAO