Author Topic: Airline Crate suggestions  (Read 24054 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Airline Crate suggestions
« on: October 20, 2005, 08:32:46 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Well, hubby just came down on orders for Germany.  That's not the worst part.  We leave in 8 weeks.  I need to find airline approved crates for Lily and Raven so they can fly with us.  Any suggestions?  I've googled it, and I think I'm more cofused now. lol.  In a sit Lily is 39" and Raven is a 32".  So I need some crates with these heights.  Length I need 42" for Lily and 34" for Raven.  I need to either find these or have them made ASAP so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Crate suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 08:38:38 pm »
We've been there once already.  I'm excited to go back. :)

As for the airline.  Northwest KLM just gives the specs for the crates that we need.  I'll try calling them and see if they have a name of a crate company they will accept.

And yes, I'll have computer access.  I'll probably be offline for awhile, but I'll come back.  I promise. :)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 08:46:41 pm »
Thanks, the 35" would be good for Raven at least.  I'll keep looking for Lily.  The airline didn't have any names.  They just said it had to be airline approved. :)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:52:45 pm »
I'll put up lots of pics.  If you ever get the chance, go there.  It is so beautiful.  Especially at Christmas. 

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 09:09:24 pm »
OK, I found this one and it says it's approved for international flying too.  It's the one on the right side of the page at the top.  At the bottom it says XL-great dane.  Do you think this one would be good?

http://www.burnwoodspuppyshop.com/puppy/Crates_and_Carriers.html

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 09:30:01 pm »
Lily,

We just purchased crates for shipping for moving. The brand Petmate is airline approved. The regulations for iternational travel are different than for domestic. From a sit position the dog needs 3" of clearance to the top or no go. You will need a giant size kennel, they are availble at Petsmart for $200. Some of the airlines do sell them. If I were you, I'd take the dog and the kennel to the airline and make certain you will clear. I've know individuals who were stuck because the dog/crate clearance was not acceptable. Also don't forget to purchase the signs, water food dishes, etc.

Good Luck!

Let us know how things are in Germany!

Deena

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 09:33:07 pm »
I just read up on the height requirements and the federal regulation states that the dog does not have to have additional clearance in a sit and that the only requirement is that the dog be able to turn around in the crate and be able to lie down comfortably.  It also says that individual airlines will try to enforce their own regulations, but that if you have proof with you of the federal regulation they can't refuse you.  I'll find the link and post it. 

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 09:40:34 pm »
Yes Lily,

But this is for international flight, the airlines are not bound by Federal Regulations. The regs are different and are more stringent. You really need to check with each carrier the dogs will be on.

Our dogs will be on Delta and Continental. The requirements for international are as I specified. The regs for domestic are as you posted. Please do more checking. I do know of a dog who was refused because the dog/crate was not to INTERNATIONAL standards.
I do not want to see you in the situation where you can go, but one of your dogs cannot.

Deena

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 09:47:25 pm »
I just found that out.  I called the US air international cargo terminal.  But the good news is, I can ship her with their crate for $657.  I'm going to take her to petsmart and measure her against their 35" crate.  Thank god she has natural ears. lol. :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 09:53:15 pm »
Yes, Lily'smom, GoodHope has some really good points... I was also under the impression that all the dog had to do was be able to stand up, lay down, and turn around... but upon further investigation they had to be able to "stand with their head in a natural position and the head cannot be touching the roof of the crate." That is going to be one HUGE crate that a Dane can stand in like that! I'd be on the phone with airlines way in advance... the airline folks told me they have refused to ship dogs in a crate they considered too small, even though everything was booked and it was an hour before the flight!
I shipped a wonderful Pyr mix to Washington State on NW airlines, they were very helpful. Some planes cannot fit a large or extra large crate in cargo, so you have to make sure the flight you will be on has a big enough cargo door!!!
Please be careful! It can be done but it will take some real extra planning!!
 :)
(WOW! Germany!)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 09:57:02 pm »
Northwest says they have a big enough cargo door for a size 700 which is the largest crate you can get .  Upon closer measurements of Lily, in a natural sit she's coming in at 37".  So we have to find out if that exta 2" will fit in the cargo door.  I'm currently calling everywhere.  But northwest and usair seem to be the most helpful.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 09:58:09 pm »
I've flown with both my dogs, and we got the crates at petsmart. MY only suggestion is make sure the plastic is really good and solid. Cuz one of our crates cracked in the front from the people lifting it. My brother got a really good one from walmart, it has the steel door in the front, and that is what he uses when he flys with his dane.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 01:56:27 am »
Hi Everyone,

Well, hubby just came down on orders for Germany.  That's not the worst part.  We leave in 8 weeks.  I need to find airline approved crates for Lily and Raven so they can fly with us.  Any suggestions?  I've googled it, and I think I'm more cofused now. lol.  In a sit Lily is 39" and Raven is a 32".  So I need some crates with these heights.  Length I need 42" for Lily and 34" for Raven.  I need to either find these or have them made ASAP so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks :)

One other thing to consider if things don't work out with the airlines is that Federal Express will ship horses; if the airlines can't take your dogs, I'm sure you could ship them also.  It is probably prohibitively expensive though.  Mother mentioned this because she personally knows a trainer that shipped their horses from Germany via FedEx.

Sofia

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 02:05:25 am »
I say sneak them on as seeing eye dogs.   8)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 02:11:58 am »
Fed Ex sounds like it would be a years salary to ship her, lol.  Actually after calling like a gajillion places I found out some useful info.  I just wanted to post it here so if it ever comes up again it's here.

Any airline that will ship a pet internationall y will ship an extra large pet in a modified 700 crate not to exceed 47" in height.  If they tell you different, ask to speak to a manager.  That's what I finally did.  Try to get a direct flight, if you can't, find an airline with a pet sitting service included.  I just found an unbelievably good deal with northwest klm.  Everyone else was not willing to work with me.  But here is what I got.  Service from BWI to Detroit with a 5 hour layover.  During the layover a pet sitter picks up Lily and walks her and plays with her.  Then they put her back on the plane and ship her direct to Frankfurt Germany.  They will allow the modified 700 crate which gives me the ability to have a crate with an extension that will reach 42" in height.  All for the unbelievable price of $800.  United quoted me $2600.  This was not fun, believe me. But I learned a lot and now I know without a doubt that Lily will be joining us on our move to Germany.  Makes me feel really good about the move. :)