Author Topic: Why confine your dog to a Crate?  (Read 22638 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Why confine your dog to a Crate?
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:43:38 pm »
I have read several posts about people having issues with their dogs being in crates all day, snapping, barking, etc. etc. and I'm curious about the logic behind it all.  I can't imagine crating being something thats enjoyable for a dog.  We crated Drake when he was a puppy and it just seemed so mean.  Once he was housebroken, we stopped that practice.  I really haven't done a lot of research on this topic, but what is the logic behind crate training?  I can see if you live in an apartment or small house with no yard and you don't want your dog destroying your furniture and making a mess or if you show dogs and you want them to be presentable, but are those the only reasons?  I would feel horrible doing that to Drake, although he spends most of the day sleeping in the garage, it is nice to know he can get up and stretch his legs and drink water if he needs to.  We had friends who crated their Weimriener and when they visited us, they always had to leave early because they had to let her out of her cage.  It totally controlled their social life and activities.  They had a big back yard and plenty of space, but they still crated her.  She barked all of the time when she was in the cage and it just seemed to be mean.  She would go crazy every time they let her out.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I'm not trying to be judgemental or condescending, that really isn't my intent.  I just don't understand why some folks do this, so that's why I'm questioning the practice.  It just seems most animals hate being in cages for extended periods of time.  Can you guys enlighten me on why you do this rather than letting your dog have free roam?  I am open to all points of views, so fill me in!  ???
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:49:18 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Luvmydanes

Re: Why confine your dog to a Crate?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:55:17 pm »
We used to crate Dane at night only when he was in the house until we got him potty trained (to where he could hold it until morning when we could let him outside) so he isn't crated anymore, but Jasmine is still crated at night only for the same reasons. I am actually glad you brought this topic up, cause I was going to post about it to ask for some advice. Jasmine is crated at night, and a few nights she has even broke out and then peed all over the place. We let them out before we go to bed to potty, (around 9-10pm). I am wanting to train her to just sleep out of the crate next to our bed like Dane does, but am not even sure how to begin doing this. I am afraid she will wake up in the middle of the night, wonder off, and pee everywhere. Any suggestions. That is why we crate. I dont think I am comfortable enough to leave my dogs inside the house while we are gone, but we put them outside at least where they can run around.

Kandi

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:57:53 pm »
Actually, most dogs find comfort in enclosed spaces when they are alone or afraid of something. We had a schnoodle when I was a teenager who would always crawl into the small space behind my headboard whenever there was a thunderstorm. It's part of the "denning" instinct, I guess.

Crating provides a safe, comfortable place to keep your pet when it is left alone, provided it is done correctly and the pet is not left there for extremely long periods of time.  The crate must always be large enough so the dog can stand up and turn around in it.

Using a crate to train your dog can save you a lot of frustration on finding "surprises" left for you in the middle of the night and they are often trained much faster when using this method. As a puppy, the crate must be large enough to be comfortable for the dog, but NO LARGER. You don't want the puppy to have enough room to potty in his cage and get away from it. Dogs typically do not like to relieve themselves in the same place they sleep so they will learn to hold it until let out.

However, crating is indeed cruel if
1) the crate is too small
2) the dog is left in the crate more than it is out of the crate

Your inquiry was NOT taken as offensive at all. I thought you presented your question about crating very well. Again, some people don't need to use this method, but it's always a good idea to get a dog used to a crate in case you have to travel, move or the dog is displaced due to a disaster (fire, hurricane, tornado, etc.).
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 12:04:14 am »
I hate having to confine my girls...since they love to move and run.  But it's safe for them to be in their crate while we're at work and during the night (for now).  We don't want things eaten and destroyed while we're gone or asleep.  But we've made the crate a fun thing.  We say "go to bed" and they run downstairs and pile into their crates.  It's their "room".  I think they find structure in their crate and their schedules and comfort in having something only for them. 

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 12:19:08 am »
 My dogs love their crates but then again I work out of my home so they are hardly ever forced to be locked in one for any length of time. I only have them to separate during feeding time and when they have their raw bones since 2 of them just aren't happy with only one bone:)
 I understand people using them for housebreaking or for confinement of a destructive dog but I do think they are often abused.
I have had alot of B&T dogs who were victims of this. Owner locks the dog way for 8 hours while at work comes home the dog is "Crazy" and to wild to be around the kids so back in the crate the dog goes....it becomes a circle of a frustrated owner & dog.
Even with the removal of the kids from the picture some have been spending 16+ hours a day in the crate (if it sleeps in one also). Can you imagine spending 16 hours a day confined to a box??

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 12:23:07 am »
It's either the crate or get out of bed every few minutes to find out what new thing Bava is chewing on.  We tried last night out of the crate, we've been leaving the door open and he will go in it to sleep when he gets ready, but it was 11something and we were ready to go to sleep

#1, Ripping Sounds? Oh Heck.. Bava has a quilt on the floor he is holding between his feet and tearing sections out of

#2, Crunching.. Oh he found on of the birds nut hulls or something

#3,  A dowel? He has a wooden dowel he is chewing the end off of.

#4, licking sounds.. Oh neat he's trying to drink from Melissa's water glass on the night stand beside her head.

He chewed the end off the area rug at some point also :)

I think that was it for last night.. we put him back in his crate so we could sleep and he wouldn't eat something he shouldn't.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 12:26:47 am »
Puck has never been crated since he came to us. There has been no need to. Plus I like having him on guard duty at night inside the house. My husband works a variation of days and nights--it is one reason why we have a rotti for protection( and he is a good snuggler)

Farley..omg... if Farley was left uncrated during the day while we were out--I would be afraid of what I might come home to..lol  He gets in enough trouble when I am here with him. ::) Oddly enough he does not have to be crated at night--he sleeps in our room and is great. Doesn't chew anything, pee, etc. I would like to get to the point when he gets older of not having to crate him at all. He is still a puppy too though. He does get crated when no one can be with him in the house. That may be a few hours somedays. It is known (and I am not saying all Vs are like this) that when V's are bored they do/can become very destructive------hence the 1 hour plus excersice needed a day for them :o 
I am looking foward to the day were we do not have to crate Farley at all ;D

Overall his time is very limited in the crate. I m at home most of the time :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:43:36 am by Icerotti »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 12:26:56 am »
These are all good points so far.  I totally agree that a crate is a good method to potty train and a prevention for destructive behaviour.  But it just seems mean to keep them in a crate all day.  I see why many dogs don't want to do it, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a small space for hours at a time.  I understand the whole "den" mentality for dogs too, that makes total sense, but what Canines in nature stay in their dens all day long? Coyotes and Jackels hunt sometimes at night, but they do go out during the day.  Some dogs adapt to Crates, but I know Drake would hate it and it would negatively affect him.  Newfs are so sensitive, I've seen a lot of Newfs in crates at dag shows and they won't even look you in the eye when they're in there, but once they're out it's tail waggin', sloppy kiss time. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:35:12 am by Newf Lover »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 12:34:07 am »
I remind myself that it's the best thing for me to do during the day for the dogs.  They don't really sit in there counting the minutes till I get home and stewing over the fact that they are in their crates.   :)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 12:36:06 am »
Icerotti made a good point.  A crated dog is pretty worthless for protection if you are being robbed.  I like the idea that if anybody is stupid enough to try and break into my house at night, not only will they have a .357 Magnum waiting for them, they will have the fury of a Newf disturbed from it's sleep to deal with.  Helps me sleep at night!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:37:37 am by Newf Lover »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 12:43:08 am »
That reminds me.. them black dogs are hard to see at night when you have to go pee.  You don't fall down and go boom, if the dog is in the crate.  Or maybe I need a pair of those lighted slippers.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 12:47:43 am »
That reminds me.. them black dogs are hard to see at night when you have to go pee.  You don't fall down and go boom, if the dog is in the crate.  Or maybe I need a pair of those lighted slippers.

Good point...lol.. I had to buy a night light for the hallway so I could see Puck in the night. He loves to lay upside down in the hallway. He kept kicking the light out of the socket= so I gave up on the light So I figure if he doesn't hear the robber --There is a 50/50 chance of the robber tripping over the dog and jammimng some part of his body ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:48:20 am by Icerotti »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 12:56:52 am »

LOL -- see, I'd jump in front of the dogs to get to the burglar first.  I'm police firearms certified, and I sleep with a loaded Glock .40 -- police edition.  My dogs would quickly be shoved in the bedroom while I chased the guy down the steps who would probably be peeing himself.  We've had someone try to break into our house before, and I was the first to greet :)

Nice!  My .357 Magnum - Highway Patrolman Edition sits in my night stand ready to go.  Anything that can punch through 3 LA phone books will do some serious damage to any dummy that thinks they're going to rob me.  Plus, it won't jam up like an automatic.  In reality, I think Drake will have chased any burglar off before I could get the gun out. 

Brandon, just listen for the snorring and you can avoid tripping over your dog, at least sometimes....  :-\

Luvmydanes

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 12:57:03 am »
Newf, I used to feel the same way about crates.  I thought they were mean and confining.  My last dog was not crated.  But he should have been.  He had Separation Anxiety.  He did a lot of damage over the years.

Jack came to us crate trained.  The foster home strongly suggested we use the crate.  I was sure he would be happier not in the crate at night.  I don't think he slept at all that first night.  I know we didn't.  He kept walking around the room, laying down, getting up, laying down, getting up, laying down.  When a Great Dane gets up and down and up and down it feels like a pile driver is being operated in your room.  The next night we crated him and not a sound out of him.  I have a baby monitor so I can hear what he's doing.

The reason we crate him when we are at work is because he isn't trustworthy in the house yet.  We gave him a trial run this summer and he pulled up some carpet.  I can not leave him in my back yard during the day.  My back yard backs up to an alley.  Easy access to anyone.  In this city I can gaurantee you he will be stolen and used as bait for dog fights.  Additionally, my back yard gets the full sun from 10 AM till the sun sets.  There is no shade.  In his air conditioned house he is comfy cozy.

The rule in my house is:  If Jack is in his crate he is not to be bothered.  He goes in there when he wants to sleep undisturbed or wants to get away from the noise of the kids.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina - Jack has so big, and very handsome! Do you have any more new pics of him?

Kandi

Offline rutylr

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 12:57:20 am »
I could not begin to think of what the house would look like if I left all 8 dog loose in the house while I was gone :o
Or I would never get any sleep ,I'd be yelling at everyone to go to sleep and stop playing.
They all know which crate is their and that is where they are fed.They don't look at it as a forum of punishment.It is theirs and no other dog is allowed in it.
Who ever came up with the first crate was a very smart person.
Donna