Author Topic: Bathing  (Read 1986 times)

rickysmom1

Bathing
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:25:59 am »
I'm not sure if this is off topic, but I was too lazy to see if there was a topic about this somewhere else.  ;D Anyway, what age can you start to give a puppy a regular puppy bath. We've never had a puppy as young as Tater(our bassett's were 6 and 11 months when we had them many yrs ago). Right now we "bathe" tater w/puppy wipes, but I'd like to get him used to getting a proper puppy bath asap. Any advice would be appreciated.  :)

GR8DAME

Re: Bathing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 12:44:27 am »
Strider and Merlin got their first baths at 6 and 8 weeks, respectively. As long as you follow the same guidelines for a skin-kid,( warm water, no water in the nose, eyes and ears and keep warm til totally dry) Tater should be ok. Just don't let him get chilled.
Stella

rickysmom1

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 12:53:51 am »
Thanks Stella.....I think I'll give him his 1st bath this week.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 02:49:41 am »
We got Zoey at 8 weeks and she had a bath pretty much every day after that (we want to do it that often, but she kept peeing on herself  ::) ). We did it in the bathtub with warm water, extra gently puppy shampoo, and since we did bathed her frequently, she got conditioner too so her skin wouldn't dry out. Then we kept her warm and dried her quickly. Try and keep it a positive experience with lots of treats - it's good to bath them early so they can get used to it and won't be afraid of baths later in life.
RIP former BPO

rickysmom1

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 12:04:08 pm »
Thanks everyone....I will definitely take pics and get them on here asap.  :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:32:03 am »
we gave Lady her first bath the day we brought her home .... she was nasty dirty.    Grace was all clean so I waited a week.  They have to get used to it ... the sooner the better.  Just be careful to dry them completely and not let them outside wet or damp to avoid getting a cold or worse.