Author Topic: Do any of you ever get this?  (Read 19171 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Do any of you ever get this?
« on: April 29, 2005, 07:48:12 pm »
"OMG"!!!..."He looks like a pony"!..."I bet you spend a TON on dog food!...How much does he eat"?...lol...Samso n is on Premium Edge & eats about 4 cups a day & will eat less when he is a little older...People can't believe it!...I get, "I feed my Lab more than that"...lol!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Do any of you ever get this?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 08:11:36 pm »
Yeah, and "don't you have a saddle for that pony?" or HOW much does he weigh?  200lbs (no, 140 of pure love!), that's not a dog that's a cow!!  I've seen Ford Explorers smaller that that!!  How big is the poop?

No matter what, I love my boy!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 09:46:53 pm »
hehe just today when we went to the vet. I had a woman saying to my four year old daughter (the twolegged one) in a couple of months you can ride him!!!! (he is 10 weeks) But you really do get things into perspective when my 10 week old OEM was playing with a 13 weeks old min. poodle, his paw was as big as the other babies whole head. So I guess we kinda get "home blind" I dont think we really see how big our dogs are, just because we get so used to them. For example, a lab is rather big dog, most people think of them as big, standing next to one of ours they shrink into a small dog. So maybe we just dont realize that we are having horses and cows in our homes lol.... hmmmmm could that be why my in-laws are treating me as if I was from another planet.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 09:57:45 pm »
My friends give me a hard time about this all the time. I work in a kennel, and do a lot of volunteer stuff for rescues. I'll tell a friend "there's this dog that needs a home..." They say "a big dog?" I say, "no, medium sized".  Then they'll look at pix or come to see the dog, and say "what do you mean NOT BIG?" Well, to me, Lab size is medium. Australian shepards are small, pugs are tiny, toy poodles and chihuahuas are pocketsize.
My babies are just the right size.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:01:38 pm »
Too funny, but you are soooo right, most people consider hamsters and girbils pocket pets, we just created a whole new group of pocket pets lol....

Marit

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 06:25:50 am »
I usually get, "Is that a Polar Bear?"

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 09:27:13 am »
I usually get, "Is that a Polar Bear?"

I can see why, he is big, white and furry and super cute. When you said Polar Bear I thought of something quite funny, nothing to do with dogs though, but Polar Bears is in the story lol...

We are from Sweden, and a boy in my daughters class said "wow Sweden, do you have cars there?" I just couldnt help myself so I said nope..... we live in Igloos and ride on Polar Bears. He didnt get that I was joking, so I actually had to explain to him that Sweden is pretty much the same as the US, just smaller lol.....

Marit

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 10:11:29 am »
I think that is the comment I get the most "He's not a dog, he's a pony" or "what a cute pony". Or when someone asks how old he is and I say 6 months they are shocked....but he's so big! And because IW's are an uncommon breed (especially around here) no one knows what kind of dog he is. ("what kind of pony is that?")
I must admit that I have become like an insecure man and his genitals...I love to hear people tell me how big my dog is! LOL
When we first got him I thought he was really big. Now he doesn't look that big to me at all. I keep thinking he's not growing enough, or that he must be small for his breed because he doesn't look big to me at all. But then sometimes I look at him and I think...Man! You're huge!  Having a big dog  definatly makes us a different kind of dog people!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 10:28:02 am »
LOL!!!!...I know what you mean!...When we got Samson he was 14 weeks old & about 45 lbs....He is now 9 months old & 100 lbs...Visually I can see that he is huge but somehow that visual doesn't reach my heart...In my heart he will always be "little"...lol!...I see other Pyrs that are maybe a little bigger than Sammy Whammy & I wonder if he will ever be that big when in reality he almost is now...lol!...I think we become desensatized to our own fur babies massivness.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 04:08:54 pm »
Wow- we have gotten everything and have even considered handing out cards with all the info. that people request from us so that we can enjoy ourselves in peace and quiet sometimes.  ;D Here are a few we get all the time": Is that a real bear? Is that a horse? I could throw a saddle on that and ride him! Who walks who? Is that all he eats? He sleeps where? Do you drive a semi? Oh my god (with a scream)!
My favorites have to be the people who ask us to move to take pictures of him alone and the people who think they know it all so they tell whoever they are with all about our Black Saint Bernard, Black Great Pyrenees, or Giant Black Lab. We just laugh and don't correct them until they ask us to confirm what they've said then tell them what he really is.  ;D ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 04:30:16 pm »
I had a woman today ask what kind of dog Samson is...I told her Great Pyrenees...She said, "Oh...The ones I've seen are all black"...I told her that would be a Newfoundland & she looked at me like I was trying to get one over on her...lol!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 08:39:23 pm »
Ok is yours a Pyr?  Face looks very similar to my Kuv's.  Pyr's seem to have a more beefy head, and if I am totally wrong what kind is she?  Or he? This is my boy Aidan and the two together shortly before she whelped. We get things like that ALL the time, I honestly do not see how truly large they are until someone comes over with what they call a "normal" dog.  To me they are half pints and mine are the full brew!  Here are a couple Pic's of beauty when she was 3 months old, her face looks so similiar to the other white one a few posts up. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 09:04:10 pm by kildeskennel »
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 10:55:51 pm »
Samson is a Pyr but still young...9 months old....still has his pup coat...I love your Kuv's!!!!!!...SSSSooo like my Sammy Whammy!....Your dogs are GORGEOUS!...I have never seen one until your pics here...MMMMMMM M...Samson will be getting a companion before he is 2...Where are you located? :)

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 09:57:37 am »
Jacksmom, I have Merlin, a three yo dane , also a mantle. Do you ever get--"I've never seen a dalmation that large, and that unusual color. Is it pure bred?" sigh. I don't mind the kids, but I swear, my dane is smarter than some of the adults.
Here's a few answers to those timeless questions:
"What do you feed him?" Miracle Grow
"How did he get so big?" He was born next to this nuclear power plant....
and my favorite;
"Does he like children?" Very much, why, are you missing one?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:38:10 am by GR8DAME »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 11:38:56 am »
I am thinking about making a T-shirt that has all the answers to the repetitive questions that people ask about my Newf.  He is a Newfoundland, he's 3 years old, he weighs 130 lbs., he eats 4 cups of kibble a day, yes his poops are big, yes I have to brush him a lot, yes he drools a lot,  no he's not a bear, yes he walks me, yes he lives a shorter lifespan than the average dog and thank you for reminding me of that upsetting fact, etc, etc.  Actually, people mean well by their questions and it is fun to have a dog that people get excited and inquisitive about.  I am always happy to answer people's questions and see them smile at the big, drooling beast I have on a leash.  Little kids get so excited when they see Drake.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.