Author Topic: A question for those of you with 2 or more dogs  (Read 3261 times)

Luvmydanes

A question for those of you with 2 or more dogs
« on: October 23, 2005, 01:08:17 am »
Ok, we have been letting 1 dog at a time in the house, so we can work with them 1 on 1. It seems to work better, and the dogs seem to listen a lot better. Today I was going to bring them both in to try and get an updated picture of them together, and YEAH RIGHT!! Neither one of them would listen AT ALL!!! I feel so frustrated. They are both great dogs when they are by themselfs, but once the other one comes in, it is total chaos. I don't know what to do. When they are both in here, being that I have 3 very small children, (3 that are 4 and under) I want them to lay down and be somewhat mellow. I wouldn't even mind them wondering a little bit except for the fact that they dont. They want to run and play as if they were outside and we can't have that in here with the kids. Any suggestions? I got so frustrated I just put them outside. I want good dogs inside, and I would like to have them both inside, instead of only being able to have 1 in at a time, but I don't know how to do it! HELP!!

Kandi

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: A question for those of you with 2 or more dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:14:09 am »
I know with my 2 they want to play 24/7 regardless if it is inside or out. Try to poop them out before you bring both of them in. It is almost like a new environment for them to both be in at the same time. Our girls are inside dogs and trust me my house is almost never clean due to toys and toy stuffing.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:31:43 am »
Well I have three.  The rule is they KNOW they can't screw around inside.  There's no room.  It's an unbendable rule.  Been that way ever since they were babies.  Try putting them both in the house, but seperate them from each other with a baby gate. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 03:01:20 am »
 I normally have 4 dogs in the house but right now I have 7. They do get playful at times but not like when they are out.
Because you have little ones around, I would let them in at night when your kids are in bed. And let the dogs get used to being in, after a while they will settle down and it won't be such at treat. A squirt bottle of water works wonders to get their attention so you don't have to raise your voice, (wake up the kids) to help I would give them each something to chew on when they come in to take their minds off being in the house.
Hope this helps.
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 04:50:52 am »
Sorry Matt dragged me away from the PC before I got to finish.  What everyone said is great.  We use Tabs (also called traffic leads) when the dogs are rowdy.  Like a 6 inch strap attached to the collar, and when they're being a pill, you can grab them.  Or tie one to you the whole time.  Also the water bottle's great.  Any kind of squirt bottle now you can point at the dogs and they'll go to their corners. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 05:06:55 am »
Wow, I never thought of squirt bottles. We have tons of them, so maybe we will try that. We usually let the dogs in after they have eaten and gone potty for the night, but maybe I will try waiting until the kids are in bed. That would definately help with the chaos, plus the kids go to bed early anyways, so it wouldn't be like they are getting in late. I like the idea of having something tied to the dog and to me until they get the idea that they come in and no rough housing when they are inside. I will definately try the water bottle. Thanks for the tips guys! Any other advice is welcome!

Kandi

Offline Lorena

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 05:09:27 am »
I know that If you use a leash for a while they are inside, it helps a lot.
When I brought Gordo (4 months ago), first he spent a couple of days ouside and then gradually I allowed him to stay and he was not trainned at all! so very calmy he started to follow my commands and after a month he was behaving so well I couldn't believe it. Now if both get excited I just say the word "outside" and they know that if they want to play they have to go outside no matter what.. (of course it depends on how they want to play  :P. )..It's a matter of being very..very patient and consistent with commands and always talk with a firmly voice. Of course you have to keep in mind their age, like it was mentioned before. Sasha is the youngest and usually she is the one that wants to play all the time...Gordo is more peacefull (he's 5 years old)..so I know Gordo feels tired after a while but Sasha can play for hours, so I bring him inside first and if she wants play or run for a longer time, she stays outside until she "knocks" on the window or the door then I know she's calm and she wants to get inside...
Hopefully my experience helps...
Good luck! ..and always remember to be patient...you will not see results from one day to the other..but it will happen eventually...
~Lorena~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 05:38:06 am »
I must have a mutant dane b/c I've never had an issue really of him wanting to rough house inside.  It does help that both of mine are quite a few years apart, with Keiko being 7, and Gunther almost 1.

We started with him when he was very young and did not let him play rough inside, which can be very difficult.  He knows the commands "thats enough" as well as "hey, hey, hey" which is used to get his attention  :D, and "knock it off".  All three are interchangable, but usually used for specific problems.  Knock it off is for barking, that's enough is used when he's drinking too much or is bothering Keiko, and the hey hey hey is when he's not listening the first time.

Usually it's Gunther that's bother Keiko, but sometimes they are both getting into it, at which point they will get thrown outside.  But overall, I swear Gunther is a much older dog in a puppy's body.  He's so calm and well behaved inside and training is a breeze with him.  I hear about other people and how thier danes act and I wonder, what happened to mine?

Offline JennLM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 12:04:34 pm »
We have had as many as 11 big pawwed dogs inside. They do know inside is not for play. They usually just lay at our feet and snooze. Even the new pups are pretty good inside. We don't allow them to roughhouse inside. They don't get attention or touched if they are acting nuts, they get 100% ignored or put outside to let them play. They get the hint after a while outside is potty and play, inside is relax and hang with us..