Kuvasz > Kuvasz Pictures

Hereis your puppy fix for the day!

<< < (3/3)

nettrek4:
  Yes, when they are born, at your behest, you are responsible for each and every one of them for the rest of their lives.  It is the placing of each pup in it's forever home, plus the production of quality breed-standard pups, that is the challenge of the breeder - whether you have a large professional kennel or not.
   No matter how you advertise - internet, local paper, breed magazine, etc - you will get hundreds of responses.  You have to take the time to get to know each prospective owner by phone, by email, having them visit you, doing home visits if at all possible.  I think your gut instinct will help you home in on the really warm hearted and prepared ones, and rule out the avaricious and the uninformed.  You will want to have a questionaire made up in advance that you can send to each inquirer - things that you absolutely have to know about family situatuion, other pets, employment, location, housing, etc.  I require 2 written references, one from the person's vet, one from an employer/co-worker/neighbor/longtime friend.  There is also a written contract signed stating both parties responsibiliti es, what the health guarrantee is, and also stating that I will take this puppy back at any time upon request, or within the first year if I find any evidence of neglect.  Then you have to stay in touch and make visits after the pups go home, sometimes for years, just to find out how the pup turned out and what they look like, their health, etc.  Most of my pups are sold as companions and have a signed spay/neuter agreement, and I also require that I am notified by the vet when this is carried out.
    Even if you do all that, you will still worry that someday one of your pups might need help and you wouldn't know about it.  That is every breeder's nightmare - that some pup of yours ends up in rescue or, worse, needs rescue and doesn't get it.  Or that the dog was bred indiscriminate ly and now there are other dogs of your breed who might need rescue. Being a breeder is chock-a-block with responsibiliti es, not for the faint of heart.
   I could write a book full of the stories of people who have my pups, everything from the collies they had as children to tales of their familes and their collies.  Maybe I should really write it, not just talk about it.  AFTER I stop breeding and retire, maybe I will have time!  I am a medical technologist for a multi-physician practice, but  I work only 8 hour day shifts and my husband is home during that time.
     Fortunately, I have been doing this for some while and usually have a waiting list of people whom I have already checked out who are waiting and hoping for one of my pups. When I know that a litter is on the way, I start advertising and "vetting" the prospective purchasers.  I even take refundable deposits from approved people who want to reserve the choice of a puppy.  After the puppies are born, as you know, there's much less time for this sort of thing!
    Good luck and keep us informed, I'm betting that there are a bunch of lucky familes out there, dreaming about their new puppy, who will soon be beating a path to your door!  Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version