Author Topic: I HATE MEAN PEOPLE  (Read 4226 times)

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
I HATE MEAN PEOPLE
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:50:15 am »
I have had my rescue shyla for 5 months now and we are still working on her fear of everything. But just now my son put on a belt and she freaked out, growled and ran to her cage. Now that tells me that someone beat this dog with a belt. I am so up set right now. I got her at 4-5 months, she was left in a basement and not at all socialized. But to have her all this time and she knows my son, for her to be afraid of him only when he has a belt??? what do you think?
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: I HATE MEAN PEOPLE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:53:26 am »
Oh that is soo sad. I'm thinking that you could be right that she was beaten. Has she ever reacted like this before? Poor girl, I'm sure with all the love and attention that you are giving her she'll be OK
 ;D

Nina

And grr I hate mean people too
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:58:12 am »
Other than running away from men, she has not been fearful like this. My son felt so bad for her climbed in her cage with her and gave her treats.
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:10:48 am »
It could also be that she is undersocialize d so anything"new" to her makes her uncomfortable. Anytime she shows that behavior , have a party, with treats and with your voice, encouraging her over to whatever it is. Make sure not to coddle her and pet her with hard pets on the side, not soft soothing ones.  Tyr to expose her to as many differnt items/object as you can.
Good luck
LA & Gang

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 01:11:59 am »
AWWWW!!  That's so sad!  I'm glad your son gave her a treat, I would have felt bad too, but it's not his fault.  Beating a dog with a belt is just horrible.  I know there's probably worse things being done to animals, but I just can't think about it...to depressing.

Andi

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 02:26:13 am »
My parents first dog was a little rescued mix named Spot.  My mom found her in the gutter during a rainstorm and took her home.  Spot was terrified of men in hats her entire life.  Evidently, some man with a hat abused her.  Unfortunately, my dad was in the public health service and wore a uniform with a hat.  He had to put it on outside.  Poor Spot never got over it, even though she trusted and loved my dad.

Offline tinyrottie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:21:59 am »
i have had Shy 3 weeks now but it was very apparent from the start that she was beaten and badly treated.  If we try to load her into the car she wets herself and cowers, she is fine once in the car because she feels safe next to Tiny.  Also if we try to help her out of the car ie put our hands over her hand to grab her halter she thinks we are going to hit her and cowers into the footwell and pees there, good thing we didnt buy that fancy new car!!! She is sucha lovable creature and I really cant find any fault with her that someone could justify beating her for.  She really is a gem.  Keep up the good work, your dog has suffered terribly if she was beaten with a belt and it will take a lot more than 5 months for her to forget that ordeal.  You are doing the right thing by loving her and showing her that everything is ok, she will come round x

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 05:12:08 am »
Poor Shyla!  As with all things that have had their hearts broken, with time, love, and attention, she will learn to love and trust again.  Just keep coxing her into exploring new things and rewarding lavishly when she does.  The sweetheart will come around, I'm sure.  I think your son giving her some quality time after the incident was a good thing.  It showed her that he is a stable, loving person who does not want to hurt her.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 05:41:33 am »
Poor baby! 

My friend Desi got a new cocker mix--her name is Booty cause she has a big butt--a few weeks ago at the shelter who has some similar fear issues-- belts, shoes, and particularly the newspaper.  What Desi's been doing is trying to turn the things Booty yelps and cowers at into toy objects--sitting on the floor playing tug with one of the kids or her husband with a belt, playing tag or catch out in the yard with shoes, spreading newspaper all over the floor, then sitting down in the middle of a sea of it and petting her and loving her up, and playing with her.

The newspaper plan has been spectacularly successful; Booty's even starting to learn to 'get' sections of it all rolled up.  The playing with the other things is helping with them too--she doesn't want to touch a belt or a shoe herself, but she doesn't cry and cower or run away anymore when someone picks one up either. 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:42:39 am by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 02:40:52 pm »
That is a great idea to play with things she is afraid of, thank you. I try to love on her and let her know she is safe here.  I will try the firm hand loving on her tomorrow. that also was good. Thanks for the help.
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 08:38:06 pm »
Samson was very fearful when we got him too!...He hated hats, anything with a long handle, anything with wheels...The list goes on & on but I am pretty positive that no one ever abused him...He came from a very nice lady & her hubby who have a sheep farm...I just ignored the unwanted behaivor & acted like nothing was amiss when he responded to things in a negative manner & then I praised him highly when he reacted ina  good manner...This seemed to work...oh & I socialized him heavily...So he gor use to seeing new things...Good luck!