Author Topic: The Dog Whisperer  (Read 14021 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: The Dog Whisperer
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 05:39:23 pm »
Samson has a doggy backpack...We take our library books back to the library in it...He is all business as long as there's weight on it...As soon as we drop the books off he is sniffing, pulling, shying away from strangers...It's strange how he knows he is doing a job!

Offline k9rotehexe

• Gnawer
  • My bud Shakti and his pal Navi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 06:40:28 pm »
I have been training dogs for about 14 years now.  My original training began in Germany at a German Shepherd club.  I have always read a lot of books and watched other trainers to get idea's, tips, and to see what mistakes they make.  I love watching the dog whisperer because a lot of the things he does I do myself.  At this point I am very proud...lol  I haven't seen any bad posting about him, but the way I see it is if it works then someone else will have to prove him wrong.  I haven't seen anything bad happen to any of the dogs that he works with.  He is always finding ways to get the dogs attention to what is actually going on.  LOL The funny thing is watching the difference between when ceaser has the dog under control and when the owner takes over again.  I actually have a friend that owns a boxer that is a year old.  He is perfect when I work with him, but since she never follows through with her commands and lets him do whatever he wants she has a problem with him.  Even when she is putting on a training collar he is chewing on her arms and legs and moving about.  If I walk up to him he sits calmly and lets me put it on.  Now mind you its not that he couldn't take over me if he wanted to.  I am a short little 5' woman...lol  Its all about respect.  Thats the way I see it.
Marion......

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005, 02:03:59 pm »
Oh Jaime ... just wait till you have kids. 

If they obeyed us all the time, then that takes all the "fun" away.

Offline Energypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 11:17:16 pm »
Ok, I know this is an old post but I wanted to share.. I actually got to see Cesar in person this past month.. he is definatly very impressive..

I did a review of his seminar on my blog, if anyone wants to read it.  Its on this page

My review of Cesar Millan in person at http://blog.energypaws.com/?p=41

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 11:23:53 pm »
I haven't watched this guys show, not too much time for TV these days, but from it sounds like, it's all just common sense.  Your dog is an animal and you must treat it likewise, but in a nurturing and loving manner.  Good advice!  Sometimes you just need to hear things from others in order to recognize their validity.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 11:26:05 pm »
Thanks for the link, I may just have to order that DVD.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Energypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 09:08:42 pm »
I think you'd be amazed at how many people do not know this about their dogs.

ex:  I had my booth at a local fundraiser for a rescue organization.  One person had rescued a shepard/lab mix who she just did not understand.

She kept telling me that the dog was "interested" in other dogs but when they got close she would bark, lunge, snarl and she had actually bitten one dog.

I witnessed this behavior .  What the owner mistook for interest was actually fear.  The dog would lean forward sniffing, but her ears were flat back, she was on her toes, her tail was tucked and she had her hair directly behind her neck up.  If the dog got too close she would pull forward Barking Barking Barking.

The owner thought that the leaning forward and barking was "hey come here". When it was really "don't make me deal with you.. I'm afraid.. stay away".

Yes,  a lot of what I heard from Cesar is definately common sense, but my experience with new/inexperienced dog owners is that they really do anthropomorphi se their dogs, in an attempt to understand them.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 06:13:14 am »
Ok, for anyone who has a good idea about this guy's philosophy... how does he approach the issue of dog fights in the home? Just when I thought Nigel and Zoot were best pals, Nigel tore a hole in Zoot's face last night.  :'(

I tried to find a book by this "Cesar Millan" but I guess he doesn't have one released yet. I've never seen his show. But if he can keep a gigantic herd of pit bulls, rottweilers and shepherds together and they don't fight, well, then he is the man I need to talk to! I want to pick his brain!!!

Interestingly there is a book called the dog whisperer by some other guy (Paul Owens? Or something?) but is it the same philosophy? Or are they completely unrelated? And did everybody get this whole"Whisperer" thing from Monty Roberts, the horse whisperer? ???

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 06:14:35 am »
I dunno about a book but I know that he has vidoes you can buy and he does seminars often.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Energypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 12:31:04 am »
Yeah, I don't know how he addresses dog fights in the home.. I think his idea is that if you maintain pack mentality, you wont' have them..

I would have loved to have asked him. (We had a similar situation when we introduced a new puppy).  We found out, however that our issues were medical.  Targ has low thyroid.  Since he's been on meds, no more problems.  I don't know that Cesar would address the issue of bringing dogs to the vet for a full work up.. he is only a behaviorist.

As far as the whisperer thing goes, I find it annoying.. I've had people as me if I'm a dog whisperer.  I just reply with something I heard in Tellington Touch Training.  "No, but I listen to the whispers of the dog".

Jen
www.EnergyPaws .com

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 04:22:54 am »
Ok, for anyone who has a good idea about this guy's philosophy... how does he approach the issue of dog fights in the home? Just when I thought Nigel and Zoot were best pals, Nigel tore a hole in Zoot's face last night.  :'(

I tried to find a book by this "Cesar Millan" but I guess he doesn't have one released yet. I've never seen his show. But if he can keep a gigantic herd of pit bulls, rottweilers and shepherds together and they don't fight, well, then he is the man I need to talk to! I want to pick his brain!!!

Interestingly there is a book called the dog whisperer by some other guy (Paul Owens? Or something?) but is it the same philosophy? Or are they completely unrelated? And did everybody get this whole"Whisperer" thing from Monty Roberts, the horse whisperer? ???
On the issue of dog fights Ceasar simply does not allow it...He maintains the alpha spot in his pack & ,from what I've seen, when a dog starts a fight he backs it down until it decideds to behave...I have heard that you should let them work it out on their own providing there is no injury...& I have heard not to allow fights at all...My trainer says what works lies somewhere in between...He says you should let it go until it bothers you & then put a stop to it....This is what I've been doing with Samson & Pippin.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 11:38:46 pm »
Gypsy, do Sammy and Pippin get into when one has something the other one wants such as a good treat?  When Sugar Bear and Dixie get into a fuss it is almost always over one trying to dig-up something the other one has hidden.  Keep in mind they hide thing under the desk, charis and shelves at work as well as outside.   I only stop it if I think it is getting a little heated for me.  There has never been any blood but boy does it sound bad.  It has happened maybe 6 times over the past 7 months.  Dixie can be very moody so that is part of the problem. 

Lisa

On the issue of dog fights Ceasar simply does not allow it...He maintains the alpha spot in his pack & ,from what I've seen, when a dog starts a fight he backs it down until it decideds to behave...I have heard that you should let them work it out on their own providing there is no injury...& I have heard not to allow fights at all...My trainer says what works lies somewhere in between...He says you should let it go until it bothers you & then put a stop to it....This is what I've been doing with Samson & Pippin.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 12:30:34 am »
Gypsy, do Sammy and Pippin get into when one has something the other one wants such as a good treat?  When Sugar Bear and Dixie get into a fuss it is almost always over one trying to dig-up something the other one has hidden.  Keep in mind they hide thing under the desk, charis and shelves at work as well as outside.   I only stop it if I think it is getting a little heated for me.  There has never been any blood but boy does it sound bad.  It has happened maybe 6 times over the past 7 months.  Dixie can be very moody so that is part of the problem. 

Lisa

Lisa, Most often they get into into it over bones...We have many here & Pippin has decided they are all his!...He'll give Sam "the look" & Sammy will hide behind the recliner or just stand in the corner with his head hung...Breaks my heart!!!...When I can't be with the dogs I put the bones up as it seems to be the major trigger...Norm ally Pippin will defer to me telling him to knock it off...Today my hubby had to roll him for the 1st time...He went after Samson & would not lay off as per my hubby's command...Man did he put up a fight!...My hubby stands 6 ft. 4 & is 230 lbs. & Pippin is around 80 lbs. now...I once even had to tell hubby "You can't let up now our you are screwed as far as Pippin  is concerned"...Finally Pippin submitted but it had to take 5 minutes at least before Randy could let him up...Samson always submitted within a minute or so...Just the other day Pippin went after Sam for what  I assumed was food...I nipped that fast & hard...No problems since...You know though, we could all learn a lesson from our dogs...1 minute mine are trying to rip each other's faces off & the next they are snuggled up against each other sleeping in total content. :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 09:37:35 am »
You know though, we could all learn a lesson from our dogs...1 minute mine are trying to rip each other's faces off & the next they are snuggled up against each other sleeping in total content.
  Sugar Bear and Dixie will lick each others face and then take a nap together.  Sometimes if she has really made him mad he will just stay away from her for awhile.  By the way I love your babies new paw prints.

Lisa

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 09:53:28 pm »
Dammit - I keep missing this Cesar Milan guy! He's on a TV channel here in he UK at the moment and every time I miss the program.

From what other people have told me, it's a very mixed bag. Some people hate him and some people love him. I've seen quite a few behaviourists who've had their own TV series both here and the USA. Must admit the one I like the best for his methods, personality and way he was with the dogs was Matthew Margolis.