Author Topic: Need help with a nasty problem  (Read 3430 times)

Blair

Need help with a nasty problem
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:21:18 am »
Mr. Grey is eating poop  :-X This started maybe a few weeks, well thats when I notice it at least. Why is he doing this and how do I get him to stop?

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a nasty problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:27:15 am »
LMAO I am sorry but I feel your pain Dilbert used to he poop too. He did this until about the age of 6 months, now he eats the cats poop if I don't clean it out in time. I know its gross but most dogs grow out of it. I would just try and watch him and if he goes to eat it say no yucky. and give him a treat when he steps away.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Blair

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 05:32:37 am »
He sits there and eats it like its a gourmet treat or something...<BLECH> It seems like out of no where he started this nasty, disgusting habit. See if I let him give me kisses again LOL

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 05:35:04 am »
LOL I know it is gross, and the worst is when they come to you after they have just eaten some and breath on you. Yuck it is soo smelly you want to puke. And it is so embarrassing, I never wanted to admit that my cute Dilbert would do that.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline bruiser

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:43:23 am »
Try Hot sauce, sounds mean but it will work and you will only have to do it once

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 06:00:39 am »
Here's a trick I learned from the vet: If you sprinkle a little meat tenderizer in his food, it should help stop the problem. It is perfectly harmless, but it will mix with the stomach acid and produce something very bitter. Dogs hate bitter tastes, so when he eats it, he will magically discover that poop is, in fact, not tasty.
RIP former BPO

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:54:46 pm »
I'm confused - do they eat cat poop or their own dog poop???   We had to put the kitty's litterboxes where Riley couldn't get to them cause he would eat their poop, but I heard its because its got more protein and is appealing to dogs - but he's never eaten his own poo.  I didn't know doggys did that!  Meat tenderizer sounds like a good idea.  Good luck!
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 02:11:56 am »
Missy was a poop conesuer too.  She loved cat poop when we had cats.  I could always tell she had been in the litterbox because she had the cement nose that took days to peel off.  In her last years she was quite the Missy poop eater.  I could never stop her from doing it.  I'm sure there's a way...constant behavior conditioning so to speak just like any bad habit we get our dogs out of.