Author Topic: Do dogs get depressed?  (Read 3800 times)

Blair

Do dogs get depressed?
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:51:15 am »
Before I got Grey, Zeus was an active boy, he always wanted to play ball with me and got excited. But since we got Grey he wont play with me or the kids. And all he does is lay around and just looks so unhappy to me. Grey will bug him and then he will play with Grey, but other then that he lays around doing nothing.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Re: Do dogs get depressed?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:05:05 am »
How long have you had Mr. Grey now?  Raven was like that when we got Lily.  But she's perked up a lot.  Do you ever spend one on one with Zeus?  That might help.   :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:41:19 am »
Zero has a case of the blues today too...I left him home because of the storm and only took the pup...let me tell ya...he isnt letting me foreget that i left him home LOL...

the pathetic eyes are killing me...

I do think dogs get the blues....maybe if you just took Mr grey somewhere really fun without the other dog?
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Blair

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:44:04 am »
Its Zeus that seems depressed  :( Ive had Grey since he was a litle puppy. I do one on one time with Zeus but he just seem the same as he was before Grey was here. I know Zeus was a puppy before Grey and he had puppy energy, but he isnt old, he will be 2 in Nov, but he acts like an old grumpy man already lol

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 09:14:28 am »
I totally think dogs can get depressed.  Keiko was in a funk for about 4 months after she was attacked at the dog park and wouldn't play there anymore (not that she played much to begin with, but even less than usual).  I started her on some holistic stuff and she started snapping out of it w/i a month.  Now that she has lost some weight and is now on glucosamine/chondroiton, her energy level is even more.

My conclusion about Zeus is that after you got Mr. Grey, he realized he was the big dog on campus and let Mr. Grey be the puppy and energetic one.  He calmed down b/c he is now the adult dog, and started acting the part.  Kind of like a child when they get a baby sibling.  They want to be big brother/sister and start acting more grown up and helping out.

I realize I am giving much more credit to a dog's mind than thought possible, but I believe this is what may be happening whether or not it is what Zeus himself is thinking.  It may not be what he is "thinking", but it looks like how he is acting. 

Blair

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:21:14 am »
I totally think dogs can get depressed.  Keiko was in a funk for about 4 months after she was attacked at the dog park and wouldn't play there anymore (not that she played much to begin with, but even less than usual).  I started her on some holistic stuff and she started snapping out of it w/i a month.  Now that she has lost some weight and is now on glucosamine/chondroiton, her energy level is even more.

My conclusion about Zeus is that after you got Mr. Grey, he realized he was the big dog on campus and let Mr. Grey be the puppy and energetic one.  He calmed down b/c he is now the adult dog, and started acting the part.  Kind of like a child when they get a baby sibling.  They want to be big brother/sister and start acting more grown up and helping out.

I realize I am giving much more credit to a dog's mind than thought possible, but I believe this is what may be happening whether or not it is what Zeus himself is thinking.  It may not be what he is "thinking", but it looks like how he is acting. 

That makes so much sense to me  :) I think you could be right

SeraphWolf79

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 10:16:35 pm »
There's no doubt in my mind that dogs get depressed.  My Rotty and my German Shepherd were inseparable - the night before Ben passed away, Naga, my Shepherd, lay by his side all night and howled.  It was the most lonely and sad howl I've ever heard.

After he passed on, Naga was like a mad woman running around the yard looking for him.  It was so sad.  She started to eat less and less and eventually didn't even want to play at all.  After a few weeks, she began to brighten up, and thankfully, we had Puppy, our other dog, that kept her company and, I think, began to bring her back to the Naga she once was...took a while though. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:41:56 am »
Sugar Bear did the same thing the day we got Dixie.  It was as if he grew up over night.  He went from a toddler to a adult in the span of one day.  They play together all the time but Sugar Bear stopped all of the puppy mouthing, jumping on me and just going crazy in general. His play energy is use up play fighting with Dixie.  He does have a hard tiem keeping up with the wild child.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 01:34:04 am »
your pups are beautiful and they look like they are very happy!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats