Author Topic: Lodging with your Big Doggie  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Lodging with your Big Doggie
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:08:33 pm »
Have any of you tried to find a hotel/motel (other than Motel 6) that allows doggie guest larger than 30 pounds?

I went to www.DogFriendl y.com and contacted quite a few of the hotels listed on that site.  I was just trying to find a place where my "puppy" and myself could get away for a weekend for a desperately, much needed get-a-away.

The only places I could find were places that only allow dogs up to 30 pounds.

30 pounds ???  That's not even a dog. 

So... what is considered "dog friendly" now a days?

Any thougths??

Sincerely,
Barbara and Samson

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Lodging with your Big Doggie
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:16:19 pm »
Barbara,

I was looking for something like this a while ago.  Someone said La Quinta.  We don't have any up here though.

I don't like the pet friendlysites.  I also called the state tourism bereau.  One of the places they gave me was under new ownership, and they changed the policy.  I'd suggest calling dog training places in the area you want to go.  That's how I ended up finding a place.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:24:11 pm »
We stayed at the Carmel Valley Lodge for our honeymoon with our first newfie, Molly (http://www.valleylodge.com/).  I'm not sure where you wanted to vacation, but if you want to drive up north it was a very dog friendly place.  They greeted Molly with dog bones and a nice warm welcome.  Our local Days Inn also allows large dogs (definitely up to 90 pounds--my parents' dog, I'm not sure of the exact details).  I hope you find something great!  :)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:33:56 pm »
Thanks !!!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:57:26 pm »
We stayed at the Marriot and they allowed dogs....The funny part was they said is that a horse or a dog LOL..I get nervous bringing in HUGE animals because everyone stares but Zero was a perfect gentleman and handled crowed elevators and everyone gawking at him like a trooper
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:02:43 pm »
I used to stay at a small family run motel when I had to work in another town about sixty miles away. I noticed on their internet site that they allowed dogs, so the first time I was down there I asked, thinking that they probably only meant rat-type dogs, not real dogs. I was assured they meant real dogs, owner's kept goldens, and if I wanted to bring my Lab she would be more than welcome. In fact they stated that they preferred larger dogs, as the small ones are far noiser (yap all night) and are far more destructive and tend to be poorer trained. They sure were dog people. Apparently they were also one of the host motels for the local dog show. One time I was there, the owner insisted that I leave the dog unattended in the room as it was winter, and I had to get up in the morning to be at the plant for five. He was worried the old dog might get cold sitting in the car for hours. His only stipulation was pick up the dog by twelve, as I was checking out that day.
So you might check out smaller family-run motels, I located this one by looking on the town's website, and checking out accomadations in the town.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:09:32 pm »
Best Western takes dogs too.  I stayed there with Raven when visiting my parents.  They were very nice to us.  There are quite a few hotels and motels that take dogs now.  I hope you find one you like. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 08:16:33 pm »
When we went to Missourri to pick up Pippin we stayed at a very nice hotel...There policy was dogs 30 lbs & under but the manager o.k.'d Samson when I made the request & no one batted an eye when we brought our 100 lb dog in...It did take 20 minutes to get out of the lobby in the morning though because alot of people & kids left their breakfast to see him...lol...So, you might want to ask for the manager & talk to him/her...I think we stayed in a Ramada Inn...Good luck! :)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 03:18:01 am »
My best friend and her husband drove cross country from Des Moines to Idaho just AFTER a funeral with a pyr that they'd inherited.  They had their best luck at--wait for it--TRUCK STOP motels. 

I guess there's a contingent of OTR drivers that will take a pretty good sized dog with them on long-hauls.  It makes sense to me--someone needs to guard the truck while a guy gets something to eat!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 03:25:38 am »
Best Western takes dogs too.  I stayed there with Raven when visiting my parents.  They were very nice to us.  There are quite a few hotels and motels that take dogs now.  I hope you find one you like. :)

Not all best Westerns do.  I worked at one for a while and they gave a woman with a service dog a hard time.  They're lucky she didn't sue them
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 04:34:48 am »

Not all best Westerns do. I worked at one for a while and they gave a woman with a service dog a hard time. They're lucky she didn't sue them

Sorry  :-[ I know that I stayed at one and they were great.  I guess it all depends on where you are.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline RottiesNY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Andy's dog site
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 12:15:20 pm »
 I stay at Comfort Inn with two large Rottweilers. NO PROBLEMS there. Cost me an extra $5 per night.  You can also check www.petswelcom e.com
So many rescues, so little time !