Author Topic: Nightmare dog sitter.....rant  (Read 5424 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Nightmare dog sitter.....rant
« on: October 25, 2005, 11:17:14 am »
I had to go with darling husband to a business conference over night so I hired a new dog sitter to take care of Cowboy and Chester.  Usually when you use the words "rectal valium" on a dog sitter, they run for the hills.  This lady was unfazed.  Fine, she says, I used to be work in a pharmacy so it won't bother me a bit.  We also have three cats....the old guy is a grouch so you have to be careful with him.  She says not to worry she loves cats.  You have to stay the whole time, since Cowboy could seize at any time..."oh of course!  I'll be there! but I'll have to charge you more since he's a high need dog."  Okay.....excep t she called me to tell me she had to leave for a couple of hours to have breakfast with a friend.  Hmmmm, I think........

I got home today and she meets me at the door and said the dogs were fine  and got an A+ but the cats got an "F".  She said the dogs wouldn't let her sleep in the guest bedroom so she had to sleep in our room.  And she couldn't change the sheets because the cats got mad. So the sheets and blankets are all balled up in the middle of the bed with all the pillows.  OKAY!  so I get to do laundry!  She also put two sided tape ALL over the kitchen counter because the cats were walking up there and she couldn't control them.  She couldn't walk the dogs because she was too busy, couldn't bring in the mail, too busy, couldn't clean up the dog poop....but she could get out her sewing machine.....  AGHHHH!  Guess that's the last time for this one.

Any suggestions on how to find a good dog sitter???

GR8DAME

Re: Nightmare dog sitter.....rant
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:43:20 pm »
Jeeze, no suggestions but what a nightmare! Hope she's not hoping for a recommedation.

Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 02:33:58 pm »
I feel for you.

Hey if I was closer, you could hire me..........lo l   ;D  ;D  If someone has promised to do something, and you signed a contract stating that, she broke that contract when she didn't fulfill it.  Therefore, you shouldn't have to pay her the whole amount.

I always state up front what my limitatons are and exactly what I will and will not do.  I'm pretty open to anything, and so far have not had to say no to anything, but I'm sure eventually there will be someone with some bizarre request.

To find a good petsitter, go by referrals from friends/co-workers/relatives.  And hopefully ones they have been using awhile.  Most vet clinics also have employees that do pet sitting on the side, and will already know the medical side of things.  That's what comes in handy for me.  I used to work at a vet clinic, and I have many clients that are on meds, and two that need fluids.

I would also ask if they are licensed and bonded (except for the vet employees, they usually do this on the side, and not professionally, so I doubt they would be licensed/bonded).  Also ask if they are insured.  Most reputable pet sitters will be, at least ones that have been around awhile.  I'm not, but I've only been doing this a year, plus  I'm moving in the spring.  I don't have a large enough client base for it to be worth it.

Good luck in the future.  There are alot of us out there, but the really good ones are few and far between.

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 02:54:33 pm »
Oh my  gosh! I would be so mad. I am lucky that my kids can stay with the dogs, Oh wait, they live here! hehe, hope they move back out before next year.
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 08:26:58 pm »
I gave up years ago & I didn't even have dogs then...Just the cats as I would board the bunnies & guinea pigs...After boxes not getting scooped, cars breaking down so the sitter couldn't get to my house & I had to scramble to get someone else over there when I was 10 hours away...Finding water dishes with dryed up water rings on them because my cats had been left on the screened back porch in 90 degree heat because "they didn't want to come in"...I just gave up...My family has taken the last 3 summer vacations to Missourri without me...It is just understood I will not go...Not for vacation, nor holidays...I did go to pick up Pippin last summer & had the neighbor come over to do critter care...That worked out o.k. but I had to go...I will be content just to stay home now. :) I guess I'm not much help...You might want to try calling your vet to see if they can refer you to another dog & cat savvy client that might help you out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:28:21 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:02:06 pm »
I usually board my dogs or have a good friend stay with them.  I am very anxious whenever I leave them.  The place I board them is in Cincinnati and I am now 5 plus hours away in Chicago so any trip I go on will have be detoured through Cincy to drop the dogs at camp.  The only people who have dogsat at my house for the dogs was my ex, who at one point lived with me and Rocco and my Dad who loves me so much he would never even think about not doing exactly what the list says to do.  In chicago I will have a roommate but I probably won't have her as a built in dog sitter for more than one night at a time kind of things since it might casue tension.

Do you have neighbor teen or college age kid who you trust and know would do what is expected?  I used to have the neighbor boy who was 9 at the time come to my Dad's house (when it was just Rocco as a pup) and take him for a walk and to play.  It was cheap and Rocco loved it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:10:30 pm »
 :o  Wow - I can't even believe she had the nerve to sleep in your bed let alone leave the sheets in a big ball on your bed!!!  Cats got mad???  Please.  That would make me so angry!  And too busy to walk the dog and pick up the poo - isn't that what you do when you're hired and even paid extra to take care of a dog???  >:( Unreal.  Looks like your best bet would be to board him for a night or try to find a good friend or relative to take care of him.  Sorry about your nightmare - you have every reason to be upset!
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 10:54:37 pm »
Goodness Mari...how terrible! I would be mortified to come home to thast situation. At least all the pets survived the ordeal.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 11:21:33 pm »
You are so right, Jaime, the animals survived and I did get the house back in shape.  It's just so frustrating to when people don't do what they say they will do.  The woman was licensed and bonded and came with referrals so I had hoped that she would be the ticket.  We've used the vet techs from the Emergency clinic and as dear as they are, they had a party here.....but they did clean up after themselves and the animals were all fine.

Zoo, if ONLY you were here!!!!  Southern Cali?  some day?  The dogs are sweet, most of the cats are too...just that one  ;),  but for heaven's sake!  YOU CAN PICK HIM UP AND MOVE HIM!!!  He's only 15 pounds!  If the woman can't handle a 15 pound cat what is she going to do with a 150 pound Newf?  or TWO????

And Gyps, I'm with you!!!  I hardly EVER go anyplace without the dogs.  They are used to being with me ALL the time.  It's just there are these few times that I have to go....to visit the kids on the East Coast, a business meeting, etc.  I'd just rather not go at all if you have to worry.

I'm sorry to go on ranting, but I'm SO frustrated.  Ahhhh.  Well, I'll continue to search!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 11:34:54 pm »
Dog Sitters suck, PERIOD!!!  Having a stranger in your house is not a comfortable feeling too.  That's why we did our research and found this kennel.  It is the coolest kennel I have ever seen and we love taking Drake there.  It is only about $10 a day than most of the crappy kennels and we know Drake is going to have a blast.  This solved our Pet Sitter problem and I'm sure there's a similar place near you.  Check out their site and go to the Picture gallery link on the left.  The photos are great, SUPER HAPPY DOGS!!!  I would love to open a place like this one day.   ;D

http://www.tappenhill.com/m_About/index.cfm?fuseaction=owners
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 12:45:15 am »
WOW!!  I just looked at their website and it looks fantastic! You are SOO lucky! Drake is even luckier!

Our problem is Cowboy....most places won't even consider taking him because of the chance of seizures.  That's why I have to have somebody who is trained to do minor medical procedures.  And can handle giving him his meds four times a day.  Chester is NO problem.  He's just an energetic puppy.  He wants to go with Drake!!!

I think you need to open your place...how about the Palos Verdes Peninsula????

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 01:22:15 am »
WOW!!  I just looked at their website and it looks fantastic! You are SOO lucky! Drake is even luckier!

Our problem is Cowboy....most places won't even consider taking him because of the chance of seizures.  That's why I have to have somebody who is trained to do minor medical procedures.  And can handle giving him his meds four times a day.  Chester is NO problem.  He's just an energetic puppy.  He wants to go with Drake!!!

I think you need to open your place...how about the Palos Verdes Peninsula????

I wish I could right now.  A place like that takes some serious Chedda to open up and run.  The land itself would be so damn expensive here in California.  Word is, the owner of Tappen Hill was a firefighter and he had Hollywood contacts.  He was hired on by Ron Howard as an advisor for "Backdraft" and he made a Crapload of money.  So he retired as a firefighter and opened up Tappen Hill.  They are so good there.  You have to bring your dog in for a Trial run night.  If they are good, they invite you to bring them back in.  Your dog has to be up on all shots.  Any special food requests or medication routines or toys they can handle with no problem.  They match dogs by size and temperment so they have buddies to play and sleep with that they are comfortable around.  They have Vets on hand for any emergencies and the people there just LOVE DOGS!!!  It is so professionally done and very impressive and not rediculously exspensive.  More places need to be like Tappen Hill, actually, all kennels should be like that.  Dogs deserve places like that.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 01:24:16 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 11:38:28 am »
Boy can I relate.  After Tucker had his first seizure we decided to buy the dog house (trailer) and now we take the pack everywhere or one of us stays home.  We also have an 18-year-old cat that can be VERY cranky.  We have found someone here in the high desert that is great with the cats but have yet to find someone willing to come to our home to watch the pack (or at least no one we feel comfortable with).

If you ever find yourself in a jam we would be more than willing to have Cowboy and Chester here with our crew.  I don't work and know all too well how to use the butt tube.

Cindy

P.S.  How is Cowboy doing?  Tucker still has not had a visit from the monster since June 22, not bad for a pup that would cluster every 7 - 20 days.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 11:56:48 am »
WOW!  We are both in a good place!  Cowboy, too, is holding his own.  The monster hasn't surfaced since early June.  We're seeing the neurologist next week (Dr. Barry in Irvine) to see if we can get him totally off the pheno.

That's so kind of you to offer to take them!!!  I looked on line today for pet sitters and NO one comes to our area, so....I'm going to try the place where I get Cowboy's food.  They have lots of recommendation s for everything so I'm hoping they'll have a suggestion for us.  If worse comes to worse, the ER clinic that treats Cowboy will take him during the day and the vet techs stay with him  at night.

Butt tube...never heard it called that before...but true ;D ;D ;D

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 12:10:25 pm »
Dr. Berry is GREAT.  Give him my best and tell him Tucker (from the high desert) is doing great.  We are also in the process of lowering Tucker's PB.  We have decreased twice in the last 4 months.  It's a slow process but we remain hopeful that maybe just one day he will be off or on a low dose.  He was taking 2 gr. twice a day and currently he is taking 1.5 gr. twice a day.  Like I said it has been a very slow process for us, decreasing .5 gr every 3 months.  Tucker's regular vet has always been a huge fan of the KBr and it really does seem to do the trick.  With Dr. Berry's blessing we started the weaning back in July.

Good luck, keep me posted, and please don't hesitate if you need anything.

Cindy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 10:06:11 pm by The Brindle Pack »