Author Topic: Collars On? Or Off?  (Read 7294 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Collars On? Or Off?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 12:07:29 pm »
Cowboy and Chester are microchipped and wear their collars at all times.  We live in no-lease-law neighborhood where the dogs can wander if they want.  I don't want!!!!  They are supposed to stay in the yard at all times unless they are with me.  So far, so good!!!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 12:11:22 pm »
Microchipped , collars are on when we are at home and off when we are not.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline rutylr

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 08:08:08 pm »
Mine wear nothing in the house.But when we leave they must be wearing a collar.They get excited when they see the collars,because then they know they are going some where.
Donna

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 08:27:46 pm »
We don't have a fenced in yard, so my crew all wear their collars & tags 24/7.  Especially with certain children who occasionally forget to shut the storm door(our screen door just pushes open).   ::)

If I had a fenced in yard it might be different, but until then collars on.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 04:43:40 am »
Drake always has his big Cal Trans Orange, quick release collar on.  No reason for him not to have it on.  You never know when you might need to grab ahold of them and that's kind of hard to do without a collar.  Also, like so many other people mentioned, if your dog gets loose and is found or, god forbid, is killed, how will people be able to get ahold of you if there's no collar with ID tags on it?  Sure Microchips can do the job eventually, but not everyone has access to the scanners for them.  Putting a collar with ID tags on your dog is like making your little kids memorize your home telephone.  Gotta do it!!!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Nicole

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 05:16:18 am »
Cabeza is microchipped. He almost always has his collar on. I take it off at night, cuz I'm there and I wouldn't wanna sleep with a collar on! I try to get it back on him in the morning, but sometimes, I forget.

I use a rubber band to hold all his tags together. Then they aren't constantly jingling. I think that Cabeza probably doesn't want to hear that all the time.

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 05:29:34 am »
Mine always have thier collors on.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 07:43:06 am »
Drake always has his big Cal Trans Orange, quick release collar on.  No reason for him not to have it on.  You never know when you might need to grab ahold of them and that's kind of hard to do without a collar.  Also, like so many other people mentioned, if your dog gets loose and is found or, god forbid, is killed, how will people be able to get ahold of you if there's no collar with ID tags on it?  Sure Microchips can do the job eventually, but not everyone has access to the scanners for them.  Putting a collar with ID tags on your dog is like making your little kids memorize your home telephone.  Gotta do it!!!

That's an excellent reminder.  You never know when you might have to grab them for one reason or another.  We've had dogs come to our dog park w/o collars on and then either get into a fight or cause some trouble and there is nothing for the owners to grab onto.

SeraphWolf79

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 10:21:03 pm »
The only time I take off Nanook's collar is when he's in the house with me...otherwise, it's on.  It's been a ritual every morning when it's time to go out to put it back on...I'm pretty paranoid about it simply because he's gotten loose so many times.  At least if he ever escaped again, he'd have a better chance of getting back home  :D

It's kinda funny too, because he's got like, 3 tags on him...city, animal shelter, and then the one with his name and my phone number and address.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 02:40:15 am »
Think before you chip...

I am only saying this because you asked.

There is no universal scanner for chips, scanners are not always accessible or compatible. The AVA at this time took the position that animals should not be chipped at this time. They recommended tatooing.

There has been a lot of buzz regarding the recent farm bill and the money alotted for a national registry of animals. We had a discussion about that on a previous thread.

We are tatooing. Not just because of the AVA, but because of reasons previously stated.

By the way... have any of seen the new technology from Japan? They are able to actually certain control humans via a headset. Some governments want to implement it for National Security and as weapons. This is not science fiction but reality. Hmmm...

Deena

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 03:10:57 am »
A link to the thread referenced: http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,4227.0.html

It has more information on the problems with microchips.  Some people also mentioned the benefits, but you probably already know those.  ;)

Sofia

Offline suzanne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • raised dog feeder
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 01:44:38 pm »
Sophia and Riggs are microchipped and wear their flat buckle collars, with ID tags except when given a bath or brushed.   If their fur was shorter, I would have collars with their names and contact info  imprinted directly on the collar.  But think, if ...GOD Forbid!!!...they ever got out of the yard etc., that people would be more apt to see their colored ID tags immediately.  To keep them from having to hear "tags clinking", I do not keep their rabies, or license tags on...only their large size plastic name tags...with my name, address and phone number.  I am a strong microchip advocate!!!!  Collars and tags can be easily removed or lost....microc hipping is forever.
Suzanne, Sophia (5 yr. old Pyr) and Riggs (10 month old Newf)

www.raiseddogf eeder.com

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 02:44:59 pm »
I don't know if the scanners are worldwide universal, but the scanners will tell you what company your chip is thru, then they would contact the company and notify them and give a description of the dog.

I know the clinic I worked at read AVID chips (b/c that is what was mostly used in that area), but if it was thru another chip company, it would show the first 4 #s (I believe), which tell you which company it is thru.  And this was several years ago for a basic reader.  They do now have universaly readers, but most clinics/shelters don't use them.  As for the European frequencies, I believe they are not allowing them to be sold here.  But I'm sure in the future, there will be a worldwide frequency.

The only reason I don't like tattoos as much is that they can fade over time and get hard to read.  Especially for dogs with dark skin.  This was the case even in dogs with new tattoos at CCI where I worked.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 02:46:05 pm by ZooCrew »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 01:40:32 am »
This is why I believe always having collars on is so important:

This afternoon, Dan was driving around and saw a little beagle wandering around. She had a collar with a rabies tag on it, so Dan brought her home and I called the vet. Turns out she belongs to a parent from my school who didn't even know the dog was out. She hung out in my yard until her mom could pick her up, and now she is home safe and sound. I call her little zoey because her name is zoey and she is little. I tried to get her to play with my Zoey, but little zoey was afraid of her size....
RIP former BPO