Author Topic: I just stumbled on your site and had to join today...  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Kristinasdestiny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I just stumbled on your site and had to join today...
« on: April 29, 2005, 05:46:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
I live in Portland, Oregon and my husband and I just bought our first house about 7 months ago. We have a very large lot for our area (1/3 acre).  We always said we had to wait to get a dog until we got a house.  Now we have one. With summer coming and relatively dry ground on the way...I think we are ready.  I even have a Saint, that I have my eye on that was rescued out on one of our coastal towns.  The gal can't keep him because he doesn't get along with her other male Saint.  He is underweight and needs some TLC.  I love the idea of rescuing a rescue dog.
My husband really wants a dog too...but he doesn't think we are ready yet...I am wearing him down.
Anyway, just a little introductory info on why I am here...Everyon e seems really cool.  Glad to be a part of this site...hopeful ly I'll be back online here soon, telling you about how I wore him down and now we have an additional member of our family...that just happens to be a Saint.

Kristina

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: I just stumbled on your site and had to join today...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 06:52:44 pm »
Welcome!...I recently joined this site too & I love it!...I have a Great Pyrenees who is 9 months old...His name is Samson & he is just 100 lbs. now...The Great Pyrenees is supposed to be a cousin of the Newfoundland & the St. Bernard...Like you, I waited until we had our own home with a large yard to get a dog but I researched breeds for 2 years when I knew we'd be getting our own home...A dog is a whole lot of responsibility but the rewards come back 10 fold!!!!!!!!!!!!...I think a rescue is an awesome idea but make sure the dog doesn't come with baggage that you aren't equipped to handle as a first time dog owner...I have had Samson through two puppy kindergartens & he will start adult obidience classes this spring...I strongly recommend the classes...They helped me more than I ever thought they would!...Good luck!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:49:10 pm »
Welcome Kristina, I hear what you say about your husband and lol.... I think that is a rather common situation, you can read the post hmmmm think it is "white and now a black lol..." or something like that, there you can see that we are a few that have that very same problem with our hubbies, but chin up, we are here to support oneanother, so if a hubby is too difficult we can always put our ladylike heads together and find a way to make him give in lol....

I have two mastiffs one bullie and one OEM, but I also have two rescues they are not giants though, one Golden mix and one Siberian Husky, and  yes it is soooo rewarding to work with rescue dogs, they just make your day, being so happy and thankful for everything you give them. Mind you there can also be issues with them, depending on why they are rescues. But it sounds like you have it all planned out with yard and all, and even a dog in mind.

Please keep us posted on how you do with hubby and dog

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Welcome to a very fun & informative web site
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 08:37:24 pm »
Welcome you guys!

This web site is wonderful, fun and well organized!  I am sure you will enjoy seeing all the pics and getting some helpful infomation from all the members!

Glad you found the site, I know I am.  We only discovered it a few weeks ago too!

Anita and the goofy Newfies from NJ

Offline Kristinasdestiny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:37:05 pm »
Thanks everyone!  So get this...hubby decided to take me to meet Bruno (the St. B in need of rescue) for Mother's day.  This will be the best way to break him down...have Bruno do it himself...in person.  So, Sunday we'll be off towards the coast to check him out.  We'll see how it goes.

Kristina