Author Topic: my newf is crazy!  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
my newf is crazy!
« on: October 24, 2005, 07:26:15 am »
hey calling all newfie ownerS!  were your puppies crazy??!?? Fumble is sooo good at some points, and then there are others like today and i feel like everything i've taught him has gone downhill!  he has been doing so well with potty training and then today, it seems like he's forgotten everything!  also! he's been go go go, even w/ exercise for over 4 hours now! and he usually will crash into nap world every 2 hours!  has anyone else had these issues with their newfs before??
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: my newf is crazy!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 07:28:15 am »
 ;D Stop letting him drink coffee  ;D

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:07:30 am »
Maybe he is growing??? Bear is still in "nap land" every few hours so I dunno. He is a puppy though and will grow out of it. As for the feeling like everything you have taught him has been forgotten- get used to it. We go through that at least one time everyday here.  ;D Usually it is with lying in the mud outside. Although Bear knows he is not to be in it, and will move with a grumble after we tell him to, he still insists on laying there until he is told to move. He also forgets to listen to his momma when I cal him sometimes and if his best friend is around, forget it. My commands no longer matter. Oh, the joys of owning a boy! ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 10:57:34 am »
Fumble is so cute!  We had similar "issues" with Sasha.  Most of the time she would play and nap and play and nap and eat and nap...  Every once in a while, though, we would have a "grow day" and she would sleep practically all day.  The next day she would be noticeably bigger!  Then other times, she would be up all day and all night.  I don't really have an explanation for why, but she did have strange days.  Now that she's older (10 months), she is more even.

As for the training, I think they just have bad days.  They either get too excited, too tired, or too spazzed to remember their training  ::) .  Then they have other days where they do super.  They're just babies and I think they try stuff out too.  ;) 

NoDogNow--Hehe!  Coffee!  ;D  Can you imagine what that would be like?!?  Talk about zoomies! ;D

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:28:25 am »
I remember a day, with my first newfie, Hightower.  We had just come home from getting the first leg of his CD.  He had done beautifully, he would sit, he would down, he would heel, stay and come.... all off leash.  No problems.  I pulled into the driveway, opened the door, and out he got and off he ran. And he ran, and he ran.  No amount of calling would get him to come.  Sometimes he would act like he didn't hear me, other times he would look at me, then run the other way.  I can remember shouting at him that he was better cared for than any kid in Hardin County and if he wanted to run away, he go just go.  I was so aggravated.  I sat down, he came back and gave a hug.  I think he was maybe 5 or 6 years old before he was "reliable" to come everytime I called.  Oh, he would always come, just not always immediately. 
Karen

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 06:52:19 pm »
hahahA! thanks everyone with all of your support!  i actually began to call it on the weatheR! lol! i live on cape cod and we're getting a NorEaster today.. he's just such a silly dog! this morning i was laying back in bed after he got up, and he brought me a 5 lb. weight i had in the living room.. apparently, he feels as though i need to work out! hahaha  :D
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 02:11:17 am »
Any pup will regress in training, any kind of training, there will be steps backwards, when that happens start over from square one, but also make sure you are not dealing with a UTI
males and females alike get them as pups due to squating in their pee.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505