Author Topic: A Black and White Saint?  (Read 5729 times)

Nicole

A Black and White Saint?
« on: October 27, 2005, 01:26:02 pm »
 ::) GOD! hahahahhaa! I want to get this "black and white Saint" REALLY BAD! hahahhaha!

Pretty pathetic, isn't it? He's obviously a Landseer, right? I know we've had this discussion around here before, but its scary that people that work with animals can't properly identify breeds. Isn't he beautiful? I wish Mark would let me....GRRRR... .

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5272139&adTarget=&SessionID=4361b4ad48674ced-app1&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:26:22 pm by Nicole »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: A Black and White Saint?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:15:31 pm »
He looks like he has such tiny legs for a huge head and body.  Maybe that's just the camera angle, but it looks kinda weird.

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:36:56 pm »
It looks like a landseer head stuck on the body of a big aussie...it is a little strange.
Stella

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:49:26 pm »
I think it is maybe its the camera angle thats making him look funny.  He is cute.  I can not believe they're calling him a saint mix....
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 11:11:36 pm »
Outrageous. I went so far as to send the lister and email, requesting that they check their breed book again, as there's no such thing as a black and white St. I told them to look up a Landseer Newfie....
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 11:13:26 pm »
Black and White Saint mix!  What a giggle!  So NOW I know what Cowboy is!!!  I'll have to be sure and let his breeder know!   

Really, though, he looks like a very pretty Landseer...in that awkward growth stage.  It's when one day the body is too long for the legs and the next the legs are too long for the body.  Chester looks more like an Irish Setter these days....still lean and lanky.

Are you really thinking about him?  He needs a good home!  He's  a NEWFIE!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 11:51:20 pm »
LOL that is soo funny, I hope they change the heading to the correct one!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline fishskibum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 04:58:53 am »
Tiggers kennel name was "not a saint". People ask all the time if they are saints or crosses between saints and GP's. One publication I have lists Landseers as being around 17% of the breed. Sound right?
"The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in a selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungratefull or treacherous, is his DOG"
 Senator George Graham Vest

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 05:06:25 am »
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand. Landseers 17% of what?  Saints?  I do know they breed Newfs to Saints in the late 19th century to get a stronger skeleton on the Saints but I have no idea how the Landseers would fit in.  The European Confirmation (I think that's what they are called) are a seperate breed in Europe.....
I guess I'm just confused by the question :-\

Offline fishskibum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:38:32 pm »
I was under the impession that ~ 17% of Newfs were landseer's with gray and brown ~5 or 6 % . Also thought it was much harder to champion a Landseer vs. a blk dog.
"The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in a selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungratefull or treacherous, is his DOG"
 Senator George Graham Vest

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 11:48:41 pm »
Okay, I get it now.  ;D ;D

I have heard that Landseer's have a tougher time in the ring as well.  That they aren't liked by judges as much as blacks.  I really don't know if it's true, but if you look at dog shows, there are very few Landseers, and they hardly ever win.  Chester, my brown boy, comes from many international champions, so I would guess the browns are better thought of by judges.

As far as the numbers of grays and browns, I'm sure there are far less grays than browns.  On our BPO So. Cal. meet 'n greet, we actually saw a gray Newf at the restaurant where we had lunch.  He was magnificent!  Much longer fur than our blacks, Landseer, or brown.  I've heard they have more skin problems than other Newfs.

Anakalia

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 11:58:28 pm »
OMG!! He's so fuzzy!! I don't know much about St.s and Landseers, but I can clearly tell that isn't a Saint that's funny they have him listed as that.  Hopefully they'll correct it.  He's so cute, I hope he gets adopted soon!

Andi

Blair

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 12:01:49 am »
Just call me the partyer pooper, but if he was a Newfie wouldnt he be bigger. In the picture he is below that persons knees  ??? To me he just looks like a really cute black and white mix doggie.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 03:55:10 am »
I got told off by an older woman for having the fattest Dalmation she'd ever seen when I was walking my Landseer, Otis.  I did try to explain that he wasn't a dalmation....b ut she knew better! ::)

Doesn't Otis sort of look like a malformed Dalmation???

henrysmomma

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 07:31:34 am »
I got told off by an older woman for having the fattest Dalmation she'd ever seen when I was walking my Landseer, Otis. I did try to explain that he wasn't a dalmation....b ut she knew better! ::)

Doesn't Otis sort of look like a malformed Dalmation???

Just call her a crazy old bat and walk away....

Rose