Author Topic: Aggression TOWARDS our big dogs  (Read 1767 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Aggression TOWARDS our big dogs
« on: October 28, 2005, 09:08:16 am »
I may be wrong about this but it seems like Cooper's size makes some smaller dogs react aggressively (maybe a fear response?).  That's the only thing I can think of.  He is a big chicken in reality.  My lab is really more of a alpha dog.  But I've had many more occasions of other dogs lunging or growling at Cooper than I have with the lab.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Part two of the question is how do I deal with it?  Unfortunately we missed some prime training and socialization btwn 6 and 11 months because he was recovering from surgery and confined to the house.  So now he is 100+ pounds and unfortunately learning that he should posture when approaching other dogs.  I want to nip this in the bud!
Maggie

SeraphWolf79

Re: Aggression TOWARDS our big dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 07:46:27 pm »
I have to deal with this every time I go visit my parents and bring Nanook along with me.   Just the other night, I walk into the house and JRock, my parents' min pin, lunges for Nanook and begins attacking him  :o  He does this every time I bring my dog to visit...usuall y, Nanook just sits there and watches in amusement at JRock's feeble attempts to attack lol But the other night, he actually retaliated...I was like, woah!!!

He didn't hurt JRock, just stunned him for a second...needl ess to say, the little rat left him alone after that lol

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 09:12:57 pm »
I haven't a whole lot of that but we have had some...Sammy & Pippin just look confused as to what all the hub bub is about!...My hubby used to bounce in bars & he said it was always the littlest, mouthiest men that would try to start with the big guys there too...lol!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 09:00:05 am »
I dont' have an issue with little dogs going after Gunther.  He's so non-threatening its not even funny.  Most of his "girls" are all small to toy breeds.

Its the big guys who feel the need to pick on him a bit.  Good thing he is submissive and either freezes and lowers his head, or if it gets too intense, he will roll over. I'm just glad this doesn't happen too often, or he might get a complex.