Author Topic: Fleas!  (Read 8714 times)

Rufiesmom

Fleas!
« on: May 02, 2005, 09:32:15 am »
We seem to be having a lot of fleas this spring.  What does everyone use?  Rufus must look like a buffet to those fleas!  We use the drops every month and have started the pills also a couple of weeks after the drops.  I worry about brain damage with all those chemicals!!  He is soooo goofy sometimes I don't know if I could tell the difference lol!  I have thought about the herbal-holistic things but hate to put him at risk if they don't really work.  Anyone use them?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Fleas!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:14:39 am »
We give Bear garlic pills in the morning to ward off fleas from the inside out and he gets Advantage every month in the Spring & Summer only.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 12:48:27 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:31:06 am »
We use Advantage on Drake for fleas.  We have used it on our cats for years as well and although all cats seem to have brain damage at times, espcially when they have too much catnip, they are very healthy.  Advantage is a topical medication and is absorbed into your pets bodyfat.  It doesn't go into their bloodstream.  If all else fails, talk to your Vet.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:50:17 pm »
There is no such thing as a dumb question (heheh-there's the teacher talkin') and no he doesn't stink. His breath is good, old fashioned doggie breath and his skin/fur when clean smells yummy! He takes the pills and swallows them whole and boy, does it keep the fleas off of him!
Hugs,
Jaime

Rufiesmom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:12:57 pm »
I have been using Frontline Plus every month and Program (lufenuron) flavor tabs every month, 2 weeks after the Frontline.  I have had to take Rufus to the vet at least 4 times last year because he chews his tail up until it is all bloody.  The vet says that it is fleas although I never can find any fleas.  I have thought about the garlic pills but read that garlic is toxic to dogs.  Where do you get your garlic pills Jaime?  Obviously they are not hurting your big guy.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 02:22:57 pm »
I have never heard that garlic is toxic to dogs. I've read alot about garlic helping ward off fleas.  You may also want to check out this site:
www.cleannorth .org/help/answerbook/fleas.html for alternative methods for flea control.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 02:46:01 pm »
I ahve never heard of garlic being toxic to dogs, my mom and aunt made their own dog food cooked lamb etc and used a pile of garlic in it, I hated that time of the month when they did it, I hated the smeel it was VERY over powering, the dogs ate it right uip and they never had fleas, mom also "dusted" them with some type of powder. and dusted their sleeping areas.  On our farm we have biting flies, ticks, mosquito's, no see um's, etc.. so we treat the yard every year x4 years with diaznon crystals, water good and let dry before dogs or kids can play on it,  it keeps all those nasty critters out of the yard, weird to see becaue they will be outside the perimeter we treated but not withing hte yard itself, and our yard is very large, a 6 hour mow job with a rider to give an idea.  After the 4th year its supposed to be good for a certain number of years untreated, I have to look on my notes to be sure when we are due to retreat..
Are you sure its fleas and not something else?  You should be able to find a few on h im at least if that;s the culprit??? ???  My mom's Collie suffered from something I cannot remember the name of, but she would literally chew her tail to a pulp, it was some kind of skin condition...Da mn I can't remember!  ANyway mom would shave her close in the summer, when it got hot is when she had trouble,  I remember how pathetic she looked without her glorious coat, but after lots of vet visits, meds, nothing was helping nad this did the trick, no more problems.  Only in the warmer months...I wish I could remember what it was!  I will ask my mom.  I hope she remembers.... ;D  She is getting a bit forgetful in her old age.... ;)
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline momma-st

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 03:44:09 pm »
Hi i have heard of lots of thinks to kill fleas.  But the one we use is downy fabric softener.  After their bath i add downy to warm water and pour over the dog.. Then wash out good. I use the vet stuff also... The downy make the girls so soft and easy to brush out ;)

Rufiesmom

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 04:09:19 pm »
Maybe I should look into the allergy thing.  Poor Rufus gets his tail shaved every time he goes to the vet for this.  They just shave the middle and leave the long hair on the end so it looks like he's trying to go for a poodle look.  Very embarrassing!  I read on the ASPCA web site that garlic is toxic to dogs.  The article is at www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vettech_1103.pdf?docID=2082  I guess if everybody's dogs are taking garlic and are okay then maybe it's wrong.  Maybe they mean tons of garlic. 

Offline CaesarsMstr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:14:11 pm »
My sister's german shepard had that problem with the skin. Dont know what it was called though.  She had it on the tail and the ears.  I will have to try the garlic thing,  it beats trying to find meds that work and the expenses.  Downy!  I love the smell of downy, will have to try that one as well.
Rachel

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 10:26:41 pm »
Rufiesmom,
I get the garlic pills from the Vitamin Shop where I get the other regular vitamins from. They really work well!
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 10:33:53 pm »
Jacks mom, You know they make odorless garlic pills now, when mym om did it, I thought their breath was terrible, but mom made us take liquid gel caps as well and everytime we burped the other kids ran away screaming!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 02:14:22 pm »
No garlic is not toxic, it is actually one of the things one k9 nutritionist recomends as one of the fruits and veggies to give to our dogs. And I have heard a lot about what good it is to prevent fleas, and now we know that it works for Bear, so that is something I will start with this spring too, I usually give both my dogs and cat Top spot, a topical treatment, I have tried both advantage and frontline, and think Top Spot is at least as good.

I try real hard to keep our dogs and the cat flea free, because well not only is it nasty and makes you squirm just thinking about them, but they love me, if as much as one flea on a dog, that single flea will find me and eat me up, maybe I should start with garlic too lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 02:33:02 pm »
i made cody his dog food for 3 years, with hamburger rice veggies, and GARLIC and he was totally healthy..smell y and healthy...

then i got angus, and i told the new vet the diet and he about crapped his pants and said to stop right away and give them dog food...said that humans dont know how to portion out the food and all that and that garlic was toxic in the first place so i obviously didn't know what i was doing....haven't seen that vet since.....BUT. ...did do some research and most everything i found said garlic was toxic....

now im confused!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 08:13:41 pm »
I had decided garlic was okay but the more I read the confuseder i gets!!