Author Topic: Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard  (Read 43181 times)

Offline alorasmommy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:21:04 am »
Hi-I stumbled onto this site and it seems like the perfect place to ask advice-we want to get a large dog and my husband has his heart set on a newfoundland but I would like a saint bernard and we need help from people who own these breeds to give us some feedback-we have a 7 month daughter so our dog must be excellent around children. We also have 5 small birds so the dog must tolerate birds. We also need a dog that is good around other dogs since we take frequent walks and go camping and our dog will be doing these activities with us. My hubby wants a newf because we've read how sweet tempered they are and he thinks they're really pretty. I'm hesitant because of the huge price tag attatched to them :-\. I like saint bernards because I've  read that their great with children and have a very patient manner. They're also cheaper. My hubby thinks they're too big (even though I don't think there's much of a difference is weight between the two.)-any help would be appreciated! Sara

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:06:19 am »
Sara,
Newfs are excellent dogs and are natural babay sitters. They have the best temperment in the world. They love to please, be cuddled, and to be part of the family in every way. Our Bear is hardly ever out of our sight and when he is, he checks in frequently just to make sure that we are still nearby. We take him every where we can and he loves to fish, camp, hike, swim in the ocean, lake or swimming pool, as well as play with others- dogs, cats, and humans. My mother-in-law has several birds and he enjoys watching them. I'll post a picture of him tonight kissing a bird. Its too cute. As for the size, I think Newfs are generally a bit smaller than the Saints in weight and height. Though they are expensive, they are worth every penny and the life that they live with you becomes priceless!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:17:46 am »
Ditto what Jaime said, our Newf Drake is truly a gift from Nature.  Newfies are so smart, so sweet, so gentle, and SO FLIPPING CUTE!!!!!!!!!!  For more info on the breed, go to:

http://www.ncnc.org/NewfWorld/newfworld.htm

I don't know much about St. Bernards, but I am sure they are very similar.  They have Newfie genetics because they were overbred in the early 1900's and Newfies were introduced to restrengthen their gene pool, so there will be similarities.  And as for cost, you are probably talking about a few hundred dollars and if you are up to that point, is it that big of a deal to spend a few hundred more if it is a dog you want?  Do your homework on breeders, expensive dogs don't necessarily mean quality dogs.  There's also rescue societies where you can get a quality dog for practically nothing.  More more info on this, go to:

http://www.ncnc.org/Rescue/rescue.htm

Good luck on your decision!  You will be happy either way.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline alorasmommy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:12:30 pm »
Thanks for the input-newf lover has a good point about money-a couple hundred more dollars is worth having such a good dog-i wish i could just get one of each ;D My hubby is so in love with newfoundlands that I think we'll probably get one of them. We've done a little looking for puppies for sale but there doesn't seem to be a lot available-we live in Michigan and I've only found a couple of breeders and they're not having puppies availabe till late summer-I don't think I can wait that long! :(.  Thanks again for the great input! Sara

waffles717

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:32:20 pm »
 :DH :DHello there,I am a Saint Lover,and MyMaggie is 4mo,old know she is a female she has a temp,of a you know when you go to the zoo you see a monkee,that is Maggie she is so funny,and we have a Grandson tommy he is Two he love's her i will send you there pick tonight,Female don't get as big as male also 140,she has big feet but a heart of Gold!! We she goes in the car where ever you go,so good,you don't know she is there,it is somthing,It is the Best Dog in the World you need to call Becky conway she is in S,D,she has the Best Saint Bernard pups theree years heath gant and ship to you 160,& Pup 500 shots,some something like that i have her no,she might have pups left? ;) ??? ??? ???let me know are do want one we want onother,we love maggie easy dogs!!let know!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 02:19:35 pm »
Hi Sara. We have a St. He is absolutely the best with my kids. He loves to go with us werever we go and LOVES the lake. He is BIG though. My parents had a Newfoundland dog who was very big as well. He was great with kids too.I think that whichever breed you and your hubby pick will be well worth it. Just dont forget how big they get. You kinda overlook that though because of there great temperment and they are so loyal. Very smart as well. Our St. doesnt bark that much eather. Not like some of the smaller dogs. He only barks when he needs to.
Dont know if this helps any but good luck and keep us posted.\
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline alorasmommy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 02:38:04 pm »
Can you fit a st. bernard/newfoundland in the back seat of a car comfortably-we will also have a car seat in the back but our car has a large back seat......Sara

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 03:21:17 pm »
We just got a saint at xmas.Hes my baby.Good luck deciding Sara .How can you resist this face?

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 06:41:17 pm »
Hi, I have to agree with the other  Newf owners. We had a Golden and a Jack Russell in the past. Actually, our Golden had behavioral issues due to over breeding we think. He was a biter and we had to put him down. Consequently, we did extensive research on breeds.  We found the Newf to be a perfect fit for what we were looking for, excellent temperment, loving and gentle and good with kids and other animals. Last fall we got a female brown Newf. Bella Rose is 10 months and she is the absolute best dog I have ever had. She surpasses everything we had hoped for and wanted in a dog. In fact we have decided to get another Newf.

We live in Michigan (Howell which is between Detroit, Ann Arbor and Lansing), and know how hard it is to find a breeder. We found a breeder in Galien, near South Bend Indiana. The litter whelped on 3-6-05. and there are a few puppies left.  Mom is a Landseer and dad is Black. The mother had 4 Landseers, 1 gray and white female, and 3 black (2 male and 1 female)  We are getting a black male this time, and know the other black male is sold too.  We are picking up our puppy next weekend, but you can contact them via their website: www.wheatgermo ilforpets.com
Also, both parents have all their health clearances and have are guarnateed.  She's been a Newf breeder for about 10-12 years I believe. Good luck and go with the Newf  ;D
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 06:46:31 am »
Hi Sara
I too HAD a car but with 3 kids it became to small quite quickly. Our St. would never fit in the back of a car with the kids. If you have 1 car seat it would be quite hard to fit a big dog in there as well. Untill he is around 1 year anyway. We have a truck now and Judge really likes the ride in the back. He gets way too hot in the front with us anyhow. Hope this helps. A mini van would work well too.
Karen

Offline alorasmommy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 07:01:55 am »
Thanks for info Jules-we've only found one newf breeder in Michigan that sounded reputable but I'd like to have something to compare it with-i just sent an email to the breeder you bought your newfs from-hopefully I'll hear from them soon. We're looking at getting a puppy this summer, after we get back from an out of state vacation in mid-June. My hubby and I discussed it some more last night and we've decided on a newfounldand right now, with the option of getting a saint bernard next ;D I am a little concerned about all of the health problems that newfoundlands seem to have; i've been looking at various websites and they seem to have problems that I can't even pronounce, but they sound expensive! Has anyone had lots of health problems with your dog? Also-how old was your puppy when you got him/her and how soon did you take him/her to obedience classes?  And lastly, I've read that newfs drool after eating/drinking but do they drool a lot during other times?  I know our new dog will probably end up sleeping in our room and I don't want to step in a "lake" when I wake up in the morning :P Thanks again for all your help! Sara

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 08:05:02 am »
Well Sara we are the ones that have the saint not the newf.If you decide on a saint I know a wonderful Breeder here in ohio.Spotakiss is the grandson of american/canadian grand champion Gentle Ben.He also has long line of champions.Get ready for the snorring if you have him in your room.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 09:01:08 am »
Sara, (that's my wife's name except with an "h") the drooling is just something that comes with Newfies and Saints.  There no getting around it, but some dogs definitely drool more than others.  Our breeder tries to breed lower volume droolers, but that is pretty hard to eliminate completely.  I believe a lot of it has to do with the length of their lips.  Drake has a longer nose and shorter lips than the average Newf and he really only drools when he is begging for food and after he has been playing or gets excited.  Some breeders don't like this look, preferring the short nose and long lips, but others don't care.  It's all a roll of the genetic dice, one isn't necessarily better than the other.  You'll see what I mean about his lips in this picture Jaime posted from this weekend, you can see the difference between him and Bear.

http://bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,479.0.html

Regardless, they are all beautiful, sweet dogs whether they drool a lot or not. You'll just have to get in the habit of carrying a rag with you, we bought bibs at the Newf show last weekend which are pretty cute and work well too.  Like I said before, if you have a problem with hair or drool, Newfies are the wrong dog for you.  Look forward to seeing pics of your pup.

My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Jen

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 10:34:54 am »
According to my research while deciding to adopt a newfie, I came across information that suggests long haired St. Benards are in fact a version of the newfies.  I forget where I found the article but it had something to do with Monks hiding dogs to protect them; a St. Benard with a Newf and that's when the long haired St. Bernard was introduced.  Maybe someone out there knows where I read it.  If I recall I was researching the Landseer at the time.

Jen

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 10:45:47 am »
Sara
I beleive both dogs drool. Judge drools after he eats and if he is excitted. Same as the Newf lovers beautiful Drake. Im sure that you will fall in love and as I say it ends up being the same as cleaning some of the stuff we MOMs cleanup after our human babys. You love them so much that the slobber is just part of them. LOL Well not once it hits the floor. HEHEHE
Good luck!! I really cant wait to see your new baby when you get him/her.
Karen