Author Topic: What do you know about epilepsy?  (Read 7111 times)

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about epilepsy?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 10:20:20 am »
Wendy, I'm  really sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. I'll cross my fingers for you too.
Good Luck,
Steph

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 11:37:25 pm »
Fingers crossed for you today!!!  Please let us know what the doc says!!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 04:41:07 am »
This morning at 5am my husband and I shared a quiet moment and sipped coffee by the fire.  We've been doing that a lot lately.   I told him about you all and the wonderful loving replies on this post.  I explained to him that I didn't get this support I needed from the medical boards but from the bigpawsonly board.  He told me that wasn't so amazing.  He said, "Think about it.  These are people who are not focused on themselves.  They are focused outsided themselves.  That's why they love their dogs...just like you do.  They are able to provide such great support because they are giving and loving."    He's so right.   You are all wonderful.  Thank you.
The MRI took about 45 min from start to finish.  They put my head in a cage to hold it still.  As long as I didn't think about why I was there I fine.  The tight space and noise didn't freak me out. 
I should have results by the end of the week.
Unfortunately I had 2 more seizures today.
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 06:27:48 am »
I'm glad that the MRI went well, and sorry to hear about the seizures.  We're hoping you get good news and are sending good thoughts your way!  Best wishes,

Jessica and Sasha

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 08:21:35 am »
That's okay...you aren't on any meds yet.  It's a long process and you just have to relax and know that it's all going to be fine in the end.  You've done the analytical part and now you have to get to the "dealing with it" part.  I'm just sure that it will be a case of you having to remember to take your meds on time and then you'll be fine!  We're all with you!!!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 06:42:48 pm »
Kepp your chin up Wendy. I know that it's frustrating, but try not to let the seizures bother you . As Newflvr said, you're not on any meds yet, so more episodes can be expected.

Keep on with the "no-stress". The less stress and worry you put on yourself, the easier it will be for you to truly relax. Relaxing is important, so is sleep, so make sure you get lots of it!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 10:41:25 pm »
2 seizures isn't bad at all--Kevin used to have at least a zone out every couple of hours until they got his final meds adjusted after his surgery.   I was thinking bout this last night, and remembered something.  Maybe useful, maybe not. 

We used keep notes about what was happening every time Kevin had an episode--who was there, what people were doing, if or what we were eating or drinking, just whatever details we could think of.  He kept a folder with him all the time that he kept everything organized in.  The notes actually helped him and his doctor narrow down a few of the things that were triggering him.  The only one I remember off hand was violins--he realized from the notes that he zoned out every day at school at the same time that the orchestra class was warming up down the hall, and after school when they were rehearsing for the play, as well as happening when his mom would play certain records that were fiddle-heavy.  He switched his schedule so he wasn't in art when the orchestra was playing, stopped hanging afterschool in the art room, and Presto!  His mom had to give up some of her records, but it was only country music.  ;)   And for some reason, I remember that there were certain colors--I don't recall which ones, but I do remember that his family took a bunch things to the Salvation Army drop off; and we painted all the walls in their whole house cream--not white, but cream.    And it did help reduce the seizures, some anyway.

Maybe your family can help you with something like that--it might not help, but then again, maybe you'll find something that you can change or eliminate that and it will help--maybe you might only have 1 seizure a day.  And I know it made all of us feel better to have something other to focus on than just "Oh, god, he's had another seizure."  It let us focus on "What made him have that seizure?"  We were able to focus on the details around it for him, and he was able to focus on studying the notes afterwards.  It wasn't like there was a lot of control, but it let us all feel like there was a little.  It meant a lot at the time just to not be utterly useless or powerless.

Just an idea. 

You were very brave about your MRI. You should be seriously proud of yourself for getting thru it without a Valium!  I, myself, would have to have a Valium if they were going to put my head in a cage and then stuff me in a tube.  You go!

Now, snuggle your furkids and don't stress; you're going to get control of this.  It might take a minute or two, but you ARE.   :)   

Sheryl, Dogless and sad