Author Topic: Poor North Dakota and Montana!!!! *humorous*  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Poor North Dakota and Montana!!!! *humorous*
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:41:56 am »
(For those of you who are not aware, North Dakota and southeastern Montana got hit with their first blizzard of the season a couple of weeks ago)

This text is from county emergency manager out in the western part of North Dakota state after the storm.

Amusing...

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from  a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard  of up to 24" inches of snow  and winds to 50 MPH that broke trees in half, stranded hundreds of motorists  in lethal snow banks, closed all roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

George Bush did not come....
FEMA staged nothing....
No one howled for the government...
No one even uttered an expletive on TV...
Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....
No news anchors moved in.

We just melted snow for water, sent out caravans to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars, fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Aladdin lamps and put on an extra layer of clothes.

Even though a  Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early...we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

Everybody is fine.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Poor North Dakota and Montana!!!! *humorous*
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 04:47:28 am »
Oh my that is a funny message.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 04:48:27 am »
LOVE it!!!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:04:58 am »
Well, it is an interesting dichotomy. But, having been through both a "category 5" blizzard and "category 5" hurricane, I must say the devastation from the hurricane presents a more immediate need. Why? I really can't say except that whole neighborhoods were leveled and people had an immediate need for evacuation.

Don't think that neighbors weren't doing everything they could to help each other after the Katrina/Rita disasters, too. But, it's like if a bulldozer came and knocked everything down for hundreds of miles.

A blizzard will typically damage a few homes, and the loss of power for days in negative-degree temperatures is certainly tragic, I will agree with that, but the far-reaching devastation of the hurricanes was worse than anything I've ever seen in all the blizzards I lived through for the 23 years I lived in South Dakota and Nebraska. 

At least in a blizzard, there isn't as much risk for infection and disease from stagnant waters, infected with pollution, oil, debris, dead bodies, etc.  When all that snow melts and causes massive flooding, though, I'm sure the North will be screaming for FEMA. I can see where the Northerners might find this amusing, but to those who are still trying to get back to normal from the recent storms, or who are helping others daily who have lost everything, this statement is rather insensitive.

I remind you of the old Indian Proverb "Do not judge another man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins".

And, as Forrest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that."

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 05:21:58 am »
I'm not going to touch this topic with a ten foot pole, too much emotional baggage on that one to even consider chiming in with my opinions.  All I can say is that I'm glad I'm lucky enough to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the most extreme weather we get is heavy rain once in a while or maybe a small hailstorm.  Sorry you guys are getting such crappy weather, maybe you can come out here for some sunny Winter weather.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:24:16 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 05:41:57 am »
But don't you get those lovely little earth shaking things?

That's not what I would call "weather".  And unless you live in a major city, you don't need to worry too much.  Supposedly, we are due for another Big One, like in 1908, but it will all depend on the Epicenter as to the level of destruction.  Most people I know are pretty prepared, extra water, batteries, generators, dry goods.  You never know when one will hit, there's no Evacuation alerts for Earthquakes.  I'm not really worried about it, we'll be fine when the time comes.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 05:44:57 am »
When all that snow melts and causes massive flooding, though, I'm sure the North will be screaming for FEMA.
Jeanne

Jeanne,

I don't want to belittle what you guys went through.  I saw this post go up and I thought "Oh crap".  But I know that in my little part of the country we recently had loads of flooding that wiped out whole towns and people lost their homes.  I was wrong the Red Cross did show up.  I stand corrected. 

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/floods2005/index.html

You also have to remember they didn't show us neighbors helping each other.  All we saw were people demanding things.  People destroying things.  I know of a company up here where 30 people were fired to give Katrina refugees jobs.  I saw a guy at Wal Mart a few weeks ago telling everyone how *Poopy* our state was, and how he couldn't wait to leave here.  Lady asked "Well why don't you leave then?"  He said "Because I get free rent up here because of Katrina.  And the house is even nicer than the one I had!"  When that's all you see it's kind of hard to feel bad.

Disasters are frustrating on all sides.  Up here we get 2-3 feet of snow in a week all the time.  It's just something we've learned to live through.  However, I couldn't imagine suffering through a baby hurricane that you guys down there get all the time. 

Many of the people up here say that the reason that everything was so televised during Katrina was because of the location.  That if it had happened in some no name place in the middle of nowhere it would've gotten a 45 second blurb on the news.  It's what happens when we get iced over for a week and a half.  "Oh yeah it was really cold in New England today" and they show a clip of some idiot sliding down the road into a drift.  Alot of people die during those ice overs. 

Because of what you did, and what you went through I defend Katrina victims, even now, talking of the horrors they went through.  Maybe if we saw all the people who were like you, it wouldn't be so hard to defend them.

Ang
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 06:17:31 am by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 06:04:02 am »
Good point.  Also, 40,000 people just died in Pakistan yet it hasn't really been in the news at all.  But they're not Americans, who cares about them, RIGHT?  The American Media really sucks!   If they just focused on reporting the news as opposed to making American soldiers look bad or sensationalizi ng every move celebrities make, it would be a much better world.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 06:06:44 am »
Believe it or not Ang, I agree with you. We see very little of the "good news" reports from the hurricane down here, too. There are tons of stories in the local newspapers, but people around the country don't get those. The national news media loves to exploit the negative side, and while they have done several stories about the efforts people have put forth to help and gone out of their way to ease the suffering of strangers, its the looting, greed, death and destruction that get remembered.

You are also right that if this had happened in a small town, the press would have buried the story and dropped it. Poor Biloxi and the small Mississippi towns aren't even mentioned. The town where I live had 6,000 structures destroyed from storm surge flooding after Rita. Hundreds of families in my backyard are still displaced from this, but did you ever hear Terrebonne Parish mentioned in the news?

You are also correct that there are people who were displaced who feel they "deserve" all the assistance they can get. However, I try to think how I would feel if my world literally came crashing down on me. Have you ever been so depressed you just don't have the energy to even try to pull yourself back up again. I imagine that is what a lot of these people feel like. They lost everything except their lives and the clothes on their backs. Some still don't know whether their loved ones are alive or dead. They had to survive for days with little food and water in virtual anarchy.  The weaker set of this group, I believe, demand the help that is offered because they feel the world has turned against them. They have adopted a coping mechanism that allows them to recover financially without any expectations on their part.

I'd like to share this one story with you that you can retell to the cynics who have become aggravated with the evacuees (and, really, I don't blame them). It's the most beautiful story of courage, endurance and compassion I've read yet (the archives for the Times Picayune don't go this far back online, so I'll repeat what I remember):

A woman and her husband had stayed in their house when Katrina hit. They lived in the 9th ward, which I'm sure you've heard by now was one of the hardest hit areas after the levee broke. Her husband woke up in the middle of the night to knee-deep water in the house, which quickly rose to chest deep. He roused his wife and they climbed up onto the roof through the attic. As the strom raged around them and the waters continued to rise, they saw a neighbor also on top of her roof 2 houses over. They yelled encouragement to her and started praying and singing gospel songs to comfort her. As they did this, the house between them floated across the street and their houses leaned towards each other so the lone neighbor could walk onto the roof of the couple's house and find comfort with friends. Throughout the storm they prayed and sang together.

After the storm, helicopters came and took them to the N.O. Convention Center. It was chaos, but the woman continued to sing gospel songs to comfort the strangers around her. They gathered around her for comfort. She held the hand of an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair and sang to him as he passed away. While others fought and cursed and screamed at the government, she sang and prayed for all who would listen. This was her coping mechanism and she helped ease the pain and confusion for dozens of others that happened to cross her path in this madness.

There are undoubtedly many stories like this and I could go on and on about those I have witnessed myself or read in our local papers. Please let others know there are angels in our midst as well. Thanks!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 06:20:35 am »
 I was wrong the Red Cross did show up.  I stand corrected. 

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/floods2005/index.html
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 06:31:09 am »
OK. Please don't take this as trying to shove anything down your throats, but I just had this article forwarded to me and I thought you would appreciate another heartwarming story of several people who worked to help each other without expecting any rewards - and it also involves animal rescue after Katrina:

NEW ORLEANS - Before this weekend, Steve Vicknair, Chris Malkove and David McKeon had never met. Yet they had at least three things in common:

They had all been flooded out of their homes in the Lakeview section of this ruined city. They all wanted desperately to check on their homes. And they all visited Internet chat rooms linking Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

On Sunday afternoon, they found themselves squeezed into Vicknair's jet-drive fishing boat, floating past submerged cars and sunken trees toward their former homes on the city's western edge. For several hours, they shared an emotionally wrenching return, helping one another haul cats and belongings from the soggy wrecks they once called home.

"Believe it or not, this has been a good day," Malkove said, exhausted and shaking after wading through thigh-high water in hip waders inside her rented home on Woodlawn Place to retrieve her five cats, a camera and a cellphone. "I got what I came for — the cats. Cats are more important than possessions."

In the tragedy of New Orleans, there are two classes of evacuees: those with means and mobility, and those without. All are miserable and bereft, but the fortunate among them at least have the bittersweet opportunity to revisit their homes.

Those who had very little and lost it all — mostly African Americans - have for the most part been unable to return to their flooded homes to collect their belongings and pets. Thousands of people were doomed to the filth and violence of the Superdome and convention center, then bused to Texas.

Those better off - mostly whites - have also suffered, but in most cases with more control over their destiny. Many can afford hotel rooms and rental cars, or are able to stay with friends or family in middle-class areas untouched by Hurricane Katrina. Some have been able to return to save what they can.

In flooded African American neighborhoods in New Orleans East, authorities have permitted few residents to return. But emergency authorities have allowed residents of Lakeview, which is 90% white, to return if they can secure boats - even though that neighborhood is as thoroughly flooded as New Orleans East.

Two predominantly white suburban districts, Jefferson Parish and Plaquemines Parish, have also allowed residents to check on their homes and retrieve possessions. Those residents returned, however, to homes that were mostly damaged by high winds but not water.

Even in predominantly white New Orleans areas where police have said residents are not allowed to return, some residents have been able to find a way to check on their homes.

Chuck Perret, an executive at his family's printing company, and his wife, an oncologist, returned to their turn-of-the-century Garden District home Saturday with two armed guards in tow to find their property only slightly damaged. Perret said his wife told checkpoint guards she need to retrieve vital patient records.

"I'm kind of embarrassed by the ease of the time we had," Perret said.

Similarly, Mark Crawford, Chris Dreiling and Quinn Jones drove back to their homes in the city in a convoy that included a lawyer friend who told checkpoint guards he had to retrieve important legal files.

In Lakeview, Vicknair, Malkove and McKeon began their journey after contacting one another via the Internet. They had to talk their way past National Guard sentries and maneuver Vicknair's boat past wrecked vessels and rescue crews launching boats where the bridge plunges into floodwaters.

Lakeview, filled with small post-World War II "starter" bungalows and gracious double-story homes, was founded by Irish immigrants more than 100 years ago. Its streets are lined with towering oaks, their thick trunks now awash.

The community borders the Metairie Relief Outfall Canal, where the 17th Street levee ruptured after Hurricane Katrina struck. Lakeview was thus the first section of New Orleans to flood when the waters of Lake Pontchartrain rushed in.

Vicknair, who grew up in Lakeview but now lives in Houston, answered Internet pleas for boat owners willing to take people into flooded areas. An animal lover who said he was moved by people begging for help in rescuing stranded pets, Vicknair drove his boat from Houston and picked up Malkove and McKeon in Baton Rouge.

Vicknair, 51, an amiable, generous insurance agent with a shock of graying hair, managed to navigate to the home he grew up in - occupied by his aunt, Virgie Vicknair, until just before the hurricane arrived. The sight of the little yellow bungalow on Rosemary Street, with greenish-black water lapping at the windows and coursing through the living room, brought Vicknair to tears. He hung his head as the vessel drifted.

He managed to take a few video images of the ruins for his Aunt Virgie, but it was a hollow effort. He didn't even want to go inside, he said, even though his aunt had asked him to retrieve her knitting needles.

It pained him to see his boyhood home gone, for he could name every family and every child who lived with him on Rosemary Street. He pointed to the flooded Homedale Inn, which was Larry's Bar when Vicknair and his 8-year-old friend Moochie helped carry Moochie's drunken father home. He saw the Homedale Grocery, where he bought snowball treats on hot summer afternoons.

The scenes flooded him with pain and nostalgia, mixing with the empathy he had felt for Malkove as she worried frantically about her stranded cats. Vicknair adores his own dog, Lucy, so much that he has an image of her tattooed on his chest.

"I ain't mad at nobody — just the hurricane," he said finally. But when Malkove mentioned that she now considered FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a four-letter word because of the agency's slow aid response, Vicknair added: "And B-U-S-H too."

Vicknair did find solace in helping two fellow Lakeview residents in need - at no charge. "Bad mojo," he said of those boaters who have charged residents.

He brightened, too, when he was able to rescue two frightened young Massachusetts National Guard soldiers who had driven their 5-ton military truck into 4 feet of water on Robert E. Lee Street. Specialists Jerieme Daley and Jason Harris had been marooned on the hood of the truck, hollering for help, after they got lost trying to rescue two other soldiers whose truck was semi-submerged.

McKeon, 41, a dentist with a slender build, also was overcome by the sight of his home.

The white frame house on Marshal Foch Street was filled with foul floodwaters that had overturned his living room furniture and sloshed through the kitchen.

When McKeon waded inside to find four of his seven cats floating dead in the kitchen and the other three alive but soaked, it was more than he could bear. He tried hard to control his grief, but he failed, and his narrow frame sank heavily into the boat.

He and his wife had been through an ordeal - evacuating their house with only enough time to take wedding photos and valuables, living like gypsies at the homes of family members, trying to find a boat to revisit their ruined home.

"My wife and I accept that the house is gone," he said.

He did not take photos of the house for his wife. "She doesn't want to see that thing," he said.

Malkove, 52, a tiny woman with short-cropped hair, said she was resigned to losing her apartment and virtually all her belongings. Her primary concern was the cats - her obsession during the punishing odyssey following her rooftop rescue from her home the day after the levee failed. She said she moved from an evacuation point to an overcrowded shelter before making her way to her relatives' home in Birmingham, Ala.

As Vicknair's boat pulled away from Malkove's collapsed double shotgun duplex, she cooed to her five cats, cowering in pet containers she had lugged onto the boat. "My babies," she said. "I told you I'd come back for you."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 06:57:58 am »
I am sorry if the statement seemed insensitive.  It was just after so much bad news, so much finger pointing, passing the buck by various government agencies, it seemed to lighten the load a bit.  I'm sorry if I offended you. :-[

My son has arrived safely home since his college is closed thanks to "Wilma".  He was lucky!  The disasters that have happened around the world this year are unbeliveable and I think the stories that are going to come out in from this will shock, disgust and inspire us all in the years to come.  There are good people (angels!!!) and bad, and we've sure heard about the sad stories.  We've also heard of those who have taken advantage of the system and the idiots who were looting, shooting at rescuers and in general, being extremely poor examples of the human race.  I'm sorry for all you in the South have had to deal with in the past couple of years and the poor souls in Pakistan and Afganistan and all those in Indonesia who suffered from the tsunami....but life does go on:  there is no choice...no matter how sad and depressed you are.   I am heartened by the outpouring of caring that the American people have shown to all those who have been suffering.  Those who were on the front lines and those who did all they could to help by just writing a check.  I'm especially impressed by those people who have opened their hearts by opening their homes and taking in those who were in need....relati ves or not!  Maybe that is the lesson that needs to be learned here.   We aren't seperate...Nor therners were not amused, Westerners were not "uncaring".  We all ached for all of you...just as the rest of the country does for us when we have earthquakes, mudslides, fires.  Being alive is tough at times!  But to know that others truly care and are there when we need them is a gift. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 07:11:22 am »
I wasn't offended. I just wanted to let you all know that we're all still going through this down here and the situations - blizzards and hurricanes are much different. And, since I've been through both, I wanted to be able to present a well-rounded argument. I wish I could apologize for the media because you are all right - you've truly seen the worst of people during this catastrophe. If you would like to hear more good stories, just let me know, or check out the local newspapers:

www.houmatoday .com (Terrebonne Parish)
www.nola.com (New Orleans/Jefferson Parish - Times Picayune)
www.dailycomet .com (Lafourche Parish)
www.heraldguid e.com (St. Charles Parish)

They actually like to report the Good with the bad.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 11:37:13 pm »
Thanks for those stories.  Our son lives in Petal Ms., it was over a week before we could even get in to see them.  The losses in Mississippi  and other areas are hard to belive unless you see it.  It is so good to have people in other areas hear so of the good stories.

Lisa   
I wasn't offended. I just wanted to let you all know that we're all still going through this down here and the situations - blizzards and hurricanes are much different. And, since I've been through both, I wanted to be able to present a well-rounded argument. I wish I could apologize for the media because you are all right - you've truly seen the worst of people during this catastrophe. If you would like to hear more good stories, just let me know, or check out the local newspapers:

www.houmatoday .com (Terrebonne Parish)
www.nola.com (New Orleans/Jefferson Parish - Times Picayune)
www.dailycomet .com (Lafourche Parish)
www.heraldguid e.com (St. Charles Parish)

They actually like to report the Good with the bad.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)